Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity hard crashing GPU, causing system hitching, and at extreme cases crashing the entire PC.

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by caseysharer, Sep 6, 2020.

1. caseysharer

caseysharer

as stated this issue has actually been going on for some time as far as system hitching goes but has increasingly gotten much worse since trying out 2020 versions.

I've upgraded to the latest 2020 version to see if it would absolve some of the issues but no dice.

So as soon as I open my project in Unity immediately my system has half-second hitching every 5 seconds or so which persists outside of the editor as well until I exit out of Unity and close the Unity hub (and in some cases restart my pc entirely).

If Unity is running for more than 15 minutes I start to get significant slowdowns on my GPU and most times all of my displays freeze completely for 1 to 3 minutes then they turn off back on and Unity crashes giving this error.

upload_2020-9-6_12-13-25.png

It seems Unity doesn't play well the RTX 2080 ti.
    This last round I had to open Substance Painter to re-export some textures and Unity was open then it hard crashed my PC to black.

Again these issues ONLY happen with Unity whenever the editor is started.

Has anyone else experienced this, have workarounds, or is there a fix in the works?

Thanks much.

Asdcxz01 likes this.
  2. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Generally (but not necessarily), a crash means driver issues. Are you on the latest drivers?

3. Lex4art

Lex4art

Works fine enough for me (452.06 game ready driver, same 2080Ti). 2020alphas/betas crashing often, but usually without freezing and rare - with freezing whole Windows but after 30-40 seconds it's unfreezes. Never got error message like yours - seems hardware problems (clean up PCI-E contacts, power cables and so on - maybe helps, maybe 2080Ti just going to die (this series has record failure rate ...).

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @caseysharer,

Please try the following to see if it helps with the crashes and the hitching:
    - Update your GPU drivers
    - Uninstall GeForce Experience
    - Disable any app used to monitor framerate
    - Uninstall or reinstall NVIDIA Audio drivers
    - Turn off Image Sharpening:
    1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel, and click on Manage 3D settings.
    2. Scroll down the Global Settings tab to Image Sharpening.
    3. Select the "Off" option
    If the issues persist, please submit a bug report for them, ideally with a reproduction project attached.

5. steinbitglis

steinbitglis

I'm also seeing these crashes with Radeon RX 5500 XT, so i doubt that it's related to NVidia.

6. D12294

D12294

I also have this crashes with PC and Mac Book and I'm afraid to use Unity now. I already spent 900€ repair costs for my Mac Book and again got it crashed... puh... that's really annoying.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    EXPLORERCHAITU likes this.
  7. MrCool92

MrCool92

I cant get 2019.4 with HDRP 7.5.1 to open and import with 2020.3.

System out of memory message pops and then GPU crashes, all during HDRP material upgrade/import process.

8. eslam-aboalo

eslam-aboalo

I also have this crashes, and no massage just pc is shut down, with PC Win10 I7 Unity 2020.2.7f1 GeForce 680

9. D12294

D12294

Perhaps it is because no targetFrameRate is set and the GPU utilization is therefore always 100%, the CPU utilization is also high and the hardware is overheating as a result. Without a target frame rate, the fps are uselessly high in my application with over 1500 fps. With the targetFrameRate of 60, the GPU and CPU utilization was in the low double-digit or even single-digit range.

These two lines at the start of the application could help.

Code (CSharp):
    1.         QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 0; // If this setting is set to a value other than 0 (Don't Sync), the value of Application.targetFrameRate will be ignored.
    2.         Application.targetFrameRate = 60;

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    AUEzzat likes this.
  10. jackknife32

jackknife32

I have the Radeon 5700 XT and it happens to me all the time...

D12294 likes this.
  11. mack178

mack178

I'm seeing this on the current versions of Unity 2019, 2020, and 2021. I'm on an RTX 3070 Ti with the latest drivers, no GeForce Experience. I'm unable to do any work on any Unity projects.

D12294 and mdushikyan like this.
  12. Boolai

Boolai

I have gotten that error as well. As lately as yesterday from this date of my reply

solkyoshiro likes this.
  13. DerDicke

DerDicke

Same problem here. Computer freezes on Unity 2021..22f1. Happens even if Unity is in the background after some time (Play Mode Off).
    Does not happen on Unity 2018.4.29f1. AMD gpu.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    solkyoshiro likes this.
  14. RobMerrick

RobMerrick

I have an AMD Radeon 5700 XT, and I get system hangs about once a day where the computer just shows a black screen and I have to force restart. It seems to only happen when I'm using Unity, and not always in play mode. Something as simple as clicking on a game object can trigger this. It's becoming increasingly difficult to work on Unity projects if I'm constantly battling system hangs like this.

solkyoshiro and D12294 like this.
  15. RobMerrick

RobMerrick

I might have found the issue on my system. I uninstalled all of my RGB color software, specifically the MSI Dragon Center Mystic Lights after a game I was playing force quit with a warning that cheating was detected from one of the LED processes. Ever since, I have yet to have a system hang occur. It's hard to know for sure if it's fully fixed because the hangs are sporadic, but it's been a few days now and everything seems to be working. I'll report back if I do get another hang. It's a shame that I can't use the cool lights on my keyboard and motherboard, but I'll take this 100x over system crashes. Hopefully this info helps someone else.

solkyoshiro likes this.
  16. solkyoshiro

solkyoshiro

Has anyone had a fix for this? I'm crashing every 30 minutes and it's getting hard to work on anything.

17. studentvz

studentvz

It happens to me also on a bit older GPU 280X. I have the latest drivers, I even tried older ones.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    solkyoshiro likes this.
  18. solkyoshiro

solkyoshiro

I've tried that and none of that helps either. I crash daily, sometimes multiple times a day.

Things I've done:

-Updated Nvidia Drivers
    -Wipe with DDU and install older drivers
    -Wipe with DDU and install the newest Studio drivers
    -Disabled Bluetooth and wifi components in bios
    -Updated Windows 10
    -Updated .Net
    -Updated AMD Firmware
    -Updated Bios
    -Changed Power plan to Balanced
    -Updated to newest 2020 LTS.
    -Deleted library (multiple times)
    -Removed Asus Armory Crate
    -Removed iCue

None of that has stopped the random crashes. Now when I crash it doesn't even make a crash file.

akuno likes this.
  19. D12294

D12294

@solkyoshiro In my case it was an hardware issue. I used a macbook pro. What stopped all crashes immediately was to renew the thermal paste on the cpu/gpu. It could be for some of us the real problem is nothing software related. It could be planned obsolescence which means we bought hardware which is designed to overheat after some time and in some conditions to take damage and force us to buy som new or pay high repair costs. Nothing you can proove or change easliy, but thats how planned obsolescence works in this case.

20. solkyoshiro

solkyoshiro

I have a custom-built PC and none of my temps have high at all. I have 6 Noctua fans, and use a Corsair AIO watercooling for the CPU. I've kept logs to see if it had anything to do with memory increases or temperatures, but it wasn't any of that.

I only have this issue when using HDRP in Unity, I can play any other game and use any other program just fine.

D12294 likes this.
  21. SanderGoal043

SanderGoal043

has anyone found a fix to this ?
    I'm also having this problem on my rtx 3070.
    the problem only happens when unity is open. it doesn't have to be in the active window.
    it only happens during working hours. so when unity is opened.
    the current project uses unity 2020.3(URP)
    my previous system had the same issue(rtx 2070) i ended up replacing the entire system but the problem persists

- al drivers are up to date
    - checked all memory / hdd's for errors
    - updated to windows 11
    - updated bios

22. DerDicke

DerDicke

23. DmitryDerybas

DmitryDerybas

I managed to fix it by disabling the discrete graphics card in device manager on my laptop and everything is working fine now.

24. hibbygames

hibbygames

I'm having this crash in Unity 2022.3.8f1. The only thing I'm doing is panning around a scene in the editor during play mode. Entire PC starts stuttering, eventually the screen can't detect a signal from the HDMI. Unity is overheating the GPU until Windows shuts it off? This happened with a 1660 GTX, and I tried downgrading to my old 670 GTX, new drivers, exactly the same thing happened on both cards. Screenshot 2023-09-03 120337.png

25. strongBearCeo

strongBearCeo

Uninstall GeForce Experience works for me. No longer crash for 2 days straight. Typically, it would crash couple times a day while I develop Unity apps for Meta Quest.