Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter the 2020.2 Beta Sweepstakes for a chance to win an Oculus Quest 2.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity hard crashing GPU, causing system hitching, and at extreme cases crashing the entire PC.

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by caseysharer, Sep 6, 2020.

1. caseysharer

caseysharer

as stated this issue has actually been going on for some time as far as system hitching goes but has increasingly gotten much worse since trying out 2020 versions.

I've upgraded to the latest 2020 version to see if it would absolve some of the issues but no dice.

So as soon as I open my project in Unity immediately my system has half-second hitching every 5 seconds or so which persists outside of the editor as well until I exit out of Unity and close the Unity hub (and in some cases restart my pc entirely).

If Unity is running for more than 15 minutes I start to get significant slowdowns on my GPU and most times all of my displays freeze completely for 1 to 3 minutes then they turn off back on and Unity crashes giving this error.

upload_2020-9-6_12-13-25.png

It seems Unity doesn't play well the RTX 2080 ti.
    This last round I had to open Substance Painter to re-export some textures and Unity was open then it hard crashed my PC to black.

Again these issues ONLY happen with Unity whenever the editor is started.

Has anyone else experienced this, have workarounds, or is there a fix in the works?

Thanks much.

2. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Generally (but not necessarily), a crash means driver issues. Are you on the latest drivers?

3. Lex4art

Lex4art

Works fine enough for me (452.06 game ready driver, same 2080Ti). 2020alphas/betas crashing often, but usually without freezing and rare - with freezing whole Windows but after 30-40 seconds it's unfreezes. Never got error message like yours - seems hardware problems (clean up PCI-E contacts, power cables and so on - maybe helps, maybe 2080Ti just going to die (this series has record failure rate ...).

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @caseysharer,

Please try the following to see if it helps with the crashes and the hitching:
    - Update your GPU drivers
    - Uninstall GeForce Experience
    - Disable any app used to monitor framerate
    - Uninstall or reinstall NVIDIA Audio drivers
    - Turn off Image Sharpening:
    1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel, and click on Manage 3D settings.
    2. Scroll down the Global Settings tab to Image Sharpening.
    3. Select the "Off" option
    If the issues persist, please submit a bug report for them, ideally with a reproduction project attached.

unityunity