Search Unity

Unity gets stuck in OnGUI.repaint when starting

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Pohlerbaer, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Pohlerbaer

Pohlerbaer

Hey,

I just started working at a new company, and the project I'm currently working on loads art assets from our local server when opened. The problem I have, is that I have to be offline when opening the project, because the Ethernet port has to be connected to a sensor device I work with.
    When I'm "offline", and loading the project, I get stuck in a endless OnGUI.repaint loop and the Editor crashes. Is there a way to just tell unity to not load assets when I'm not connected to the internet? Right now I have to manually unplug and change the ip adress of the ethernet port, everytime I need to start the project.

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. zo-digital

zo-digital

Hi, I have a similar problem.
    My project also gets stuck on opening with the "Hold on (busy for ...)" dialogue and showing hours of "ProjectBrowser.OnGUI.repaint".
    Even if I remove all scenes (so an default scene (with only Main Camera and Directional Light) gets loaded at start.
    I read on other threads, that it may have to be an issue with some Windows open. But I can't do anything. The "Hold on" dialogue prevents me from doing anything.
    Also updated to latest Unity Hub 3.0.1 and latest Unity LTS 2020.3.30f1.

Any suggestions?

3. zo-digital

zo-digital

I was able to solve this problem:
    One of these measures (or combination of it) was the solution:
    • started the Project from Unity HUB with commandline "-batchmode -nographics" and then "-batchmode". And then started the Project again without any commandlines.
    • Update PlasticSCM to Version 11.0.16
    • Disable these lighting options (have been activated last time), in the file ...Settings.lightning
      m_EnableBakedLightmaps: 0
      m_EnableRealtimeLightmaps: 0
    --> Then I was able to open my project again.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    AlecErikson and Pohlerbaer like this.
  4. Bmco

Bmco

(2020.3.31f1) I just had this problem. And any project already enrolled in PlasticSCM had the same problem.

To fix it, I started a new dummy project and started using PlasticSCM. This forced the re-login. I then was able to open my existing project from Unity Hub without any issues.

UPDATE : If you have Plastic SCM Cloud (aka the client) installed on your machine (which you should, since you need it to join other projects)...open this first and log in, THEN open your Unity Project, the OnGUI Repaint bug does not happen.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  5. aaronsolonmsu

aaronsolonmsu

Thank you, this saved me!

tranndee likes this.
  6. Lapsapnow

Lapsapnow

Thanks. I'm damn angry Plastic's offline handling is broken, and causes stuff like this. You'd think they'd have noticed it if they had actually tested the damn thing offline.

I have power outages, but I can run my PC on battery for the outage durations. However, without internet Plastic will bugg out, GUI.Repaint forever, and crash my Unity with 100% consistency. Utterly stupid.

tranndee likes this.
  7. WARdd

WARdd

Still having this problem regularly in Unity 2020.3.30, Have to log out and back in so that plastic stops holding my projects hostage

8. jdrandir

jdrandir

Does anyone know a way to fix this without being online? Maybe via adding some command line arguments when starting a project offline or something?

9. FantasticGlass

FantasticGlass

THANK YOU! Worked like a charm.

10. Kailric

Kailric

This approach still worked for me just now.

11. Bmco

Bmco

My goodness, I feel like I've never helped so many people in my whole life!

FYI, I was talking about this in the Source Control Forum. It sounds like the next version will have an "Offline Mode" that should deal with this (fingers crossed) as well as some other goofy Timeout Issues. I've also noticed some large deltas in my "Reloading Script Assemblies..." step. It could be anywhere from 5 seconds to 50. I believe this is also related to the Unity-Plastic plugin trying to connect to the Plastic servers.

12. WhittS3

WhittS3

Just found this and solved my issue too, thank you!

13. richiebee_hk

richiebee_hk

saved my butt TWICE

14. swantonb

swantonb

Hey, if this issue is not solved for you by the above methods, what worked for me was removing unity collab proxy package from Packages>manifest