Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Generating Errors On 1 Pc Only (please Help)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Robb-d10, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Robb-d10

Robb-d10

Hey :)

So I should start off by stating/clarifying that i am in NO way a programmer, my skills are beyond basic, so it's entirely possible I'm missing something, however, the people I work with are programmers, and they can't figure it out either, so here I am.

We all have similar pc's, we all work on the same project, and the laptop i'm on right now is the exact same model as the one I was using before (before the fan died :( ) After getting everything set up on the laptop the exact way I had done it on the previous one, I tried to get back into the project to test, but Unity generated 999+ errors and I could not work with it.

I've read through a number of forum posts and have managed to get rid of a number of errors (Multiple plugins with the same name) and reduce the count to 550 by removing the TextmeshPro and re-enabling it, but this still leaves me with a slew of errors all similar to this:

Assets\Scripts\***System\***Visualizer.cs(185,52): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Topic' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Aside from not knowing how to fix this issue, there is still a deeper underlying issue: This laptop was used by another developer before me, according to him he had the exact same issue when trying to set up, even after a factory reset (which i have also done... twice...).

So, I guess, what I'm really trying to figure out/understand is what could cause *this* issue, I feel like it being hardware related makes no sense given that we have 4 of this exact laptop in use in our office and none of them have this problem, actually, no one else on this project has this issue.

(I have legit done everything from start to finish on this laptop that i did on the last one to get setup and running, so in theory everything "should" be here, there shouldn't be anything missing)

2. kahyongs

kahyongs

3. Robb-d10

Robb-d10

Hey, sorry for the delayed response here. So, for starters, due to an NDA I can't actually send you any of the project, BUT! I have actually managed to solve this finally, so I can toss the information here for others if they run into the same issue.

So, it turns out a few months ago Git released Git for Windows 2.21.0, there seems to be an issue with the packaged version of Git LFS which is causing it to not function properly, which in turn causes it to dl broken meta files when cloning a repository. Unity then recreates these with new guid's which creates a mismatch and causes all sorts of issues. After downloading a standalone version of Git LFS all of the issues have disappeared and everythign is once again how it should be.