Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity @ GDC'07

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Feb 22, 2007.

1. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Unity will have a stand at GDC this year, and will be announcing a number of things-to-come. Come by and talk to us at the stand, where you'll also be able to check out Unity and hear about some exciting future features! Both I and our dear Product Evangelist Tom Higgins will be attending.

Event Info: www.gdconf.com/
    Time: The Expo is open Wednesday and Thursday 9am - 6pm, Friday 9am - 3pm.
    Venue: Nordic Game Pavillion (area 5320), Moscone Center in San Francisco (Google Map)

d.

2. manuelflara

manuelflara

Will you be posting here (or the websites) all announcements you'll make at GDC?

3. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Of course.

d.

4. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Anyone got free airline tickets to SFO lying around? :D

5. manuelflara

manuelflara

Well, GDC is over and there hasn't been any Unity news around here. Was anything announced? Any new demo shown?

6. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Barecelona, manuelflara? My favourite city in Spain. Loved visiting there.

7. manuelflara

manuelflara

Yep, lovely city :)

8. angel_m

angel_m

After GDC, what about Unity news ?

9. angel_m

angel_m

Sorry, is repeated.

10. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sorry folks but last week was entirely too crazy and we're only now recovering a bit. Joachim has flown back to HQ in Copenhagen while David is still here in San Francisco with me...

The big announcements we offered were that we were introducing Nintendo Wii support while also talking to folks about not only v1.6.1 out there today but also about the 2.0 release and some of the features it will contain. Of note we talked to folks about the networking support we'll be offering as well as real-time shadows. We did not however give any sort of timeline for that release, nor can we offer that here on the forums at this point. The swanky demo of the week was the Avert Fate demo by Yoggy and Raimund Shumacher, although the one we demo'd was a bit newer than the gallery screenshots display.

Without a doubt GDC was an incredible success for us. Our booth was busy all through the Expo, we chatted up a number of potential business partners (can't speak to those just yet folks, sorry) and quite a few schools/universities about adopting our tool in their curriculum.

Manuel: I *LOVE* Barcelona myself after having been there just last October. Plain and simple it's a fantastic city... :D

11. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

What does "introducing Nintendo Wii support" mean exactly. (of course I have been watching the thread on hiring a Wii developer). Can you be more specific? Is Unity becoming an authorized Wii develpment tool?

Also, is there a link for the release notes of 1.6.1?

Edit: One of the main reasons why I am asking specifics on the 'Wii support' is: that most of us are not authorized Wii developers. Therefore even if Unity can compile to Wii, we will not be authorized by Nintendo to sell such games. I don't know the implications if the Unity based game plays in the Wii Opera browser(talked about in a different thread).

Will OTEE become an authorized Nintendo developer so that us indy developers will be able to publish authorized games to Wii?

Again, Wii support means nothing if you are not and authorized/approved Nintendo development shop.

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

We have some PR work on the way about this, sorry that's not done just yet. For now the phrase "introducing Nintendo Wii support" means that we're porting the run-time and the necessary authoring hooks to develop and publish content for the Wii. Yes, even with that there is still some effort needed on your part to tap into those capabilities. For example you'll need a Wii dev kit from Nintendo and then work with them on getting your title in the publishing pipeline. So it's not that everyone will suddenly have the ability to publish to that platform at will. It's a win for Unity as it then becomes a tool that authorized developers can pick up and being using, thus allowing us to extend into something more on the side of "serious games" authoring. Again, please wait for further details, I just didn't want to leave y'all hanging with no answer as folks around here seem a bit impatient about hearing our GDC news. :D

http://unity3d.com/whatsnew-1.6.html

13. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Thanks HiggyB for all your responses in this thread and others! Really helps in getting a sense for planning things.

dingo

14. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Also, I would like to stress that once you have a cool game, if Nintendo knows you're using Unity you'll have a lot easier time of getting in touch with them, as they know its not a full port.

15. pete

pete

that's just plain cool.

16. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

17. drJones

drJones

was there any news at the show on blender-collada support?

(i remember somebody mentioning that they were doing something there)