Search Unity

Unity games with Icons dont launch

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by NicolasAllard, Apr 10, 2016.

1. NicolasAllard

NicolasAllard

I title says it all... My games, or friend games dont launch if they have an icon... i cant even get to the resolution screen where i choose if i want to play on windowed mode or not...

Plus, the game stays in my task manager and cannot be closed. Help me Please

2. NicolasAllard

NicolasAllard

i really need help

3. greg-harding

greg-harding

Check for more information in the player log, if there is one.

Try disabling anti-virus temporarily. Our game gets false-positived by Avast on Windows which is a giant pain. It results in non-launches, zombie processes, and there's absolutely no feedback from the system or Avast about what happened - it just doesn't start when opened from the desktop or Steam, and sometimes crashes the Steam client too.

Avast didn't say anything useful apart from suggesting digitally signing applications (which they couldn't say would actually help or not), and no one from Unity replied with any thoughts or advice at the time.

NicolasAllard likes this.
  4. NicolasAllard

NicolasAllard

you are my hero.... just you talking about my antivirus(avast) flashed a light in my head!

Just had to check in my permission things thx <3

5. greg-harding

greg-harding

No worries :)

For you and anyone else hitting this thread, if you're distributing a Windows exe and having this problem with Avast you can submit builds of your app to Avast for whitelisting. It's a bit of a pain, but Avast cannot explain why apps are getting false-positived, Unity have not replied, and there wasn't much feedback on my earlier post about it so obviously it's not too widespread.

Avast whitelisting: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB229
    Earlier thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-5-2-x-exe-being-stopped-by-avast-antivirus-on-windows.376239/

We hit the problem a few months ago and then heard of a few other Unity games having problems on the Steam forums. As mentioned, in our case our app and other test apps are being blocked running standalone or when launched from Steam and sometimes Steam is then crashing too. Avast basically offered no information as to why it was happening or how to remedy it, and would not say if it was the binary/exe or other data files. The apps are pure Unity 5.2.x, no native plugins, etc. so I'm surprised that there haven't been more devs having trouble.

6. sunburnedgames

sunburnedgames

I had the problem on this PC, which runs Avast, last year when our builds used a custom icon - build without our icon always worked, this year this PC works fine with custom icons - difference: one major Avast update. I think we tested this by switching off Avast as well, and I don't think it helped.

This time round Avast was doing a long check the first time the game ran with the icon, whereas it did not to do that when the build had the default Unity icon. So it seems the icon causes a difference which is picked up by Avast and depending on the settings it causes the problem. We are in Early Access, so I can't see us submitting builds to Avast all the time. I find it strange that the icon has such a massive impact.

Another thread - same issue: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ad...ettings-causes-build-to-hang-on-start.370227/

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016