Search Unity

Unity Games On Raspberry Pi.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by netherboss123, Feb 14, 2015.

1. netherboss123

netherboss123

hello! i might soon buy a raspberry Pi to make like a small gaming console like thing to play all of my unity games. i know it cannot run the unity editor but can it run built unity games? ive never seen people program with the pi so i dont know if it can run exes or not. could somebody please tell me if this is possibe? :)

2. carking1996

carking1996

It can use Android, but Unity requires a specific ARM processor I believe to run it.

3. netherboss123

netherboss123

Couldn't I build my games to android then run android on the pi?

4. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Not 100% on this but the old raspberry pi was ARMV6 which unity didn't support anymore. The new Raspberry PI 2 has ARM Cortex-A7s, which use the more standard and modern ARMv7 ISA I believe. So in theory it should run android and Unity games. The Raspberry Pi 2 is new enough though that finding easy how to resources might be a bit difficult though.

Best of luck!

5. Arowx

Arowx

Would the Ouya not be a better platform to work on as it is built to run Android games.

How does the Ouya and Pi 2 compare?

UPDATE:
    Both have Quad Core ARM v7 processors but the Ouya has the Tegra 3 which has an Nvidia GPU and the Pi 2 has a VideoCore IV processor which tends to be found in lower spec Android phones.
    Both have 1GB ram
    Both have the option for flash card memory expansion Ouya has 8GB.

I wonder if you could run Ouya OS on Rasperry Pi?

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

The Ouya has an ARM Cortex-A9 @ 1.7GHz whereas the Pi 2 has an ARM Cortex-A7 @ 900MHz. According to Wikipedia's comparison of cores, the DMIPS (Dhrystone MIPS) per MHz rating of the A9 is 2.5 whereas the A7 is 1.9. So the Ouya's processor should be 4,250 DMIPS whereas the Pi 2's processor is only 1,710 DMIPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ARMv7-A_cores

7. Neoku

Neoku

Raspberry PI 2 can run Windows 10 (a special version) then possibly games for windows 10 can run in this Raspberry.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

It isn't as simple as running games made for Windows 10 though. They need to be compiled to handle the ARM architecture which means Unity will need to support the platform.

9. Neoku

Neoku

I am not sure, if Windows 10 in the Raspberry PI 2 cant run Windows 10 apps this is not very usefull, this say official page of MS: "Leverage the Windows platform and its diverse hardware ecosystem. Utilize familiar Win32 programming using best in-class development and debugging tools."

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

The Win32 it is referring to is an API. Applications for Windows are compiled for x86 (32-bit) or x86-64 (64-bit) architecture and are not natively compatible with ARM. Windows RT was much the same and needed applications made for ARM.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  11. Neoku

Neoku

If this is the case is better rename this Windows as "Windows Raspberry" or "Windows ARM" instead "Windows 10 for Raspberry".

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

They're likely trying to unify the various editions under one name. Previous ARM-based editions of Windows have been "Windows CE" and "Windows RT".

13. HerrGilbert

HerrGilbert

Renaming it would be the wrong approach, because you basically have a different foundation compared to Windows RT.

However, talking about plain .NET-applications, they should indeed run on x86 Intel processors, and on 32bit ARM processor without being recompiled, because they are compiled to IL (Intermediate Language). Which doesn't apply to Unity, if I'm not mistaken.

Although I'm wondering how Microsoft will handle it in the future. Can't wait for the ARM version of Windows 10 to be released.

(I'm quite new to Unity, but I'm a long-term Windows/.NET-developer. I started back in the old days where everything was grey^^)

14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Correct, pure .NET-based applications should run on any platform supporting .NET and the framework you utilize. Unity is an entirely different story though because the engine only uses Mono for scripting. The remainder of it is coded in C++.

With enthusiast platforms like these you'd be better off building a wrapper for games published through WebGL.

I started picking up the very beginner stuff in the DOS era, but I didn't really dive in under the same year as Windows 95.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  15. DoDius

DoDius

So, anyone have tried to run Unity Game in RbPi 2 (Win 10) ?
    I am really looking forward to hear the answer!

16. Ostwind

Ostwind

Windows 10 IoT is not for games.

17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Evidence?

To me it seems that the RPi2 support is a stripped version of the ARM version of Windows, the same as Windows Phone 10. This would explain the lack of RPi1 as it's ARMv6 and not supported. If this is true then I can't see why Unity wouldn't support it. It's suggested by this post that the platform is fully capable of running apps that might run on PC or XB1.
    https://blogs.windows.com/buildinga...ook-at-the-windows-10-universal-app-platform/
    DirectX seems to be confirmed on this page.
    http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/Faqs.htm

I'm not saying it is supported, I'm just saying that until Unity has Windows 10 export we won't know.

18. Ostwind

Ostwind

There is a difference what features of directx are supported and on what device. At the moment raspberry support is mainly on headless type apps and even for those the support is limited. Users do not need Unity to see if games are supported as you can create games with other tools too like with VS. I was browsing these few weeks ago on some raspberry forum but the lack of wifi support made me personally pass the current builds.

19. Arowx

Arowx

20. yoonitee

yoonitee

I thought raspberry pi runs Linux?

Anyway, you can download Unity 3, that supports ARMv6.

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

Isn't that Android on ARM? The catch is supporting Linux on ARM.

22. netherboss123

netherboss123

cant you just run any .exe file on windows? i have tried the tech prieview for windows 10 and unity ran fine. so cant u just download the unity 5 exe file?

23. netherboss123

netherboss123

you could plug in a usb wireless adapter or ethernet cable for internet

24. Ostwind

Ostwind

Raspberry does not have own wifi and its the adapters that are not supported. All my raspberrys are located and in such type use (sensors etc) that there is no point to use cables so I'll wait.

25. XGundam05

XGundam05

Huh? All my USB WiFi adapters have worked like champs (on both a Pi B+ and a Pi 2, both running Raspbian).

26. Ostwind

Ostwind

We were talking about Windows 10 IoT beta. Raspbian works fine.

27. XGundam05

XGundam05

@Ostwind, oops. Don't ask me how I managed to forget that >.>

28. psema4

psema4

It's neither stable nor official yet but reasonable WebGL experiences on pi 2's running Rasbian are now possible, see https://www.scirra.com/blog/ashley/23/how-to-get-webgl-on-the-raspberry-pi-2 for details.

Just got a pi 2 setup with this and honestly I'm quite impressed with the framerates.* Planning some WebGL exports from Unity this weekend ;)

* tip: max-out the GPU RAM by setting "gpu_ram=128" in /boot/config.txt**

** pi 2's may not boot if gpu_ram is set to 256, see https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/tutorial-activate-opengl-driver/3810/11

29. darkhog

darkhog

I'd prefer for Unity to just target Linux ARM as well. I mean, they already build for android which is both Linux (only with different and frankly inferior userland) and mostly ARM (save for few Atom toys). They also target ARM for Surface RT. Also, they do Linux x86 builds, so why not do GNU/Linux ARM builds as well? I mean, they have all the pieces.

And frankly, WebGL on ARM is a suicide, it won't be as performant as native thing, especially with actual 3D apps, not accelerated 2d as it is the case with Construct.

30. cl9-2

cl9-2

I've tried a number of WebGL games and demos on the iPad 3, many of them run very well with medium detail at around 30 fps and up. If the WebAssembly continues to gain traction and ARM perhaps introduces a co-processor for WebAssembly byte code, we could see WebGL performance very close to native OpenGL ES.