Search Unity

Unity Games crash on startup

Discussion in 'Windows' started by lost_wanderer, Jan 10, 2022.

1. lost_wanderer

lost_wanderer

Hi,
    I didn’t know which section would be the best place to write about this, so I will try to look for help here.
    Whenever I play a Unity game on Steam, It comes up with a screen and the Unity crash logger and then closes.

List of games that crash on startup:
    INSIDE worked well year and a half ago, crash on startup giving me Windows error message
    DUSK - the game freezes on the first frame and sounds are heard, after which the game crashes with an Unity error screen
    Cypher - very "light" game, I see no reason why this game would not work. The situation is similar to dusk, but the game does not crash.
    Blasphemous worked well 2 years ago as well, but now keep crashing at launch. Sometimes i get two different crash reports

I would not have paid attention to this if it was only one game, writing off everything on the fact that my laptop is too weak for these games, but when two games that I played before did not start, I began to look for solutions and so far unsuccessfully.

I want to add that not Unity games, at least the ones that I have installed, start and work, so I don't think that the problem is in the discrete video card.

What i tried to do so far to resolve this problem:
    1) Downloaded Windows Updates
    2) Deleted GPU drivers using DDU and downloaded newest version of drivers from NVIDIA site
    3) Verified game files on Steam
    4) Updated DirectX
    5) Made sure that I have not installed Citrix Workspace on my laptop

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It seems that the graphics driver is crashing, but it's unclear why. It could be the games are using too much video memory for your computer to handle, or it also could something entirely else.

I noticed you run on an ancient OS version (which, I might add, we don't technically support). If I were you, I'd reformat your hard drive and install the latest version of Windows 10. It's possible it would fix the issues you're having, but it's not guaranteed.

3. lost_wanderer

lost_wanderer

I don't think this might be the case. Like i said, i've already played some of these games much earlier on current machine and current OS and they worked fine. I want to add that i tried to run these games using the integrated video card through the nvidia panel and they work, despite the fact that Intel integrated gpu is much worse than NVIDIA's one.
    I've had Windows 10 installed, but due to some circumstances I had to go back to Windows 8.1 and in fact, I have no complaints about this OS, all these games also support Windows 8.1

I checked my computer with sfc /scannow command and it did not reveal any errors.

4. Parspsq

Parspsq

I have had the same problem suddenly occur at some point after starting to use Unity3D on the same machine. Could Unity3D or Visual Studio be interfering with the games made with Unity on Steam?

5. beerftw

beerftw

I also am having all unity games from STEAM crash on start up. Everything is fresh and up to date. Win 11 rad 6600xt 32g ram ryzen 5600x . Really annoying! Dont know what else to do

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Do you have .dmp files to share?

Towalake likes this.
  7. Warby123

Warby123

Me to I am trying to roll a game its getting instant crash either is Steam or non steam game I don't know what to do I tryed everything.

Win 10 pro Nvidia RTX 2060 6gb 16g ram.

8. Hiizaya

Hiizaya

I still have the same problem. Even changed win 10 for win 11 with fresh install for everything.
    House flipper (Uninstalled all the mods because I though it was the prob but no change)
    Phasmo and some other game too.

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You'll have to share dump files of logs if you want us to look at it. We can't really know what's causing it without them.

10. dlorre

dlorre

Things crashing like that can be sign of a virus hijacking one of your dlls.

11. mattv576

mattv576

How would I go about getting my crash logs? My steam games that use unity crash really often and I'd like to find a solution to it

12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

The directory where crash report has been generated is written at the end of the log file.

13. mattv576

mattv576

It won't allow me to attach my .log file to a reply here

14. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

put it in a zip file.

15. mattv576

mattv576

This is from when I was playing Raft last and it crashed on me after a few minutes

Attached Files:

16. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The crash is entirely within the Nvidia driver (nvwgf2umx), not in Unity. You're also running an almost 1 year old driver. I'd suggest updating it and seeing if it help.

17. mattv576

mattv576

Even after updating my drivers it happened again, here is the attached .log file

Attached Files:

18. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What driver did you update to? The log you just attached is saying your driver version is 472.47, which got released in 2021. The newest driver version for your graphics card is 516.94.

19. Crysyn

Crysyn

To help pitch in here are my crash files as seemingly out of the blue I am now running into this.. It took me a bit to realize all these games are using unity.. I can get reports from Green Hell as well

edit: I have tried this with the current and previous 2 drivers from nVidia.

edit 2: One of my GPUs appears to have been unstable. I am down to a single one right now (which in the hardware config was the second GPU originally) and my games in general have stabilized. Over 2 hours of testing, no more flickering screens and all games mentioned above run just fine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  20. Jusu7861

Jusu7861

American Thefts simulator unity crashed how to fix IMG20221010121005_01.jpg IMG20221010121005_01.jpg this issue?

21. Walyinn

Walyinn

i also have the same problem, and im also getting blue screens. every game i try to play just crashes. my blue screen crashes have the error code: system service exception

22. Anonymous_R

Anonymous_R

i also have same problem but i felt like it will never get soluted

Wi2zrdjoey likes this.
  23. eyal213

eyal213

i have the same problem.
    did you find a solution?

24. eyal213

eyal213

never mind i updated my nvidia drivers and it works fine now

25. Rachel_Roth35

Rachel_Roth35

I did the same but it doesnt work for me. The game is Fears to fathom episode 2. Im using windows 10 with latest updates.

26. Jusu7861

Jusu7861

Accident simulator game crashed after few minutes startup,i could not find solutions, please give me the fix?

Attached Files:

27. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Looks like an out of memory crash. How much RAM do you have and did you by any chance disable the page file?

28. Jusu7861

Jusu7861

Ram is 4GB ,how to fix this issue please help me

29. badols

badols

I have the exact same issue.
    The attachment below is from trying to run Road to Vostok.

Attached Files:

30. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Try increasing page file size.

31. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That crash log is weird. The log says your GPU is Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. However, the dump contains a crash in AMD driver (dated from 2015!). I'd suggest uninstalling all GPU drivers and installing the latest version for the GPU you actually have.

32. dhvyse

dhvyse

I get crashes on MOST of my Unity games, one game works OK (ECO, which I play extensively without crashing).

Other unity games crash within a few minutes of starting. It will show either the Unity crash, or complete system lockup or just a crash/reboot. Non-unity games give me no trouble (Dragon Quest XI, Path of Exile, Warhammer 40k Darktide, Mass Effect Legendary, Doom (2016), Warzone 2.0 for example). I can play these for hours without issue.

I'm very tech savvy, not being able to figure this one out has been a huge bummer. I will note, Valheim didn't used to crash when I first played that on the same hardware in mid to late 2021. It was only with the recent patch that I tried to play again and noticed this issue. Now I've purchased new (to me) Unity Engine games over the Winter Steam sale, and they crash as well.

List of unity games crashing consistently:
    Oxygen Not Included
    Valheim
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Soulstone Survivors
    Noble Fates
    Across the Obelisk

A Valheim community guy was helping me try to figure it out. things he's had me do:
    -Reinstalled Windows 10 with a fresh install
    -Upgrade to Windows 11 after the fresh install
    -Reset bios settings by removing motherboard battery, and loading optimized defaults
    -Disable C-states in bios
    -Disable XMP profiles in bios
    -Disable GSync in nvidia settings
    -Swapped out RAM for different RAM
    -Uninstalled GPU drivers with driver uninstall program to start fresh (drivers are up to date)
    -Undervolting my GPU

My hardware:
    -Intel 9700k CPU (not overclocked)
    -ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 OC Graphics Card
    -Crucial 32GB ram kit (2x16GB and tried a seperate set of GSkill 32GB ram kit (2x16GB) as well
    -Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI motherboard

Links to a few of my valheim crash logs, I can post others on request:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BthdEUL2NFZldPalsRcG72bxmfkfgrXv/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LnQcYA2RfbgqX2H1iRNc0zpIp-A_7G1L/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/19WE3uiI2WOTkZ09IK_aRZEeYvgyYZTVI/view?usp=sharing

33. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

This is usually a red flag for either hardware or driver related issues. Normal programs running on your machine cannot cause your computer to crash, no matter how badly they crash themselves.

I looked at the crash dumps and unfortunately they're all non-sensical: they show crashes in places that shouldn't be able to crash. They are all access violations reading or writing to a particular memory address that was just written to/read from a couple instructions earlier. This to me suggests a hardware issue.

You've already ruled out RAM as being the culprit. This also doesn't seem to be related to the GPU. That leaves the CPU, the motherboard and the PSU.

I suggest running Prime95 (https://www.mersenne.org/download/) on all 3 modes (small FFTs, in-place large FFTs and Blend) for a few hours each. See if that produces any errors or causes any system crashes.

I'm sorry I don't have better news :(.

34. dhvyse

dhvyse

yeah I was told by most of these games communities that Unity would blame hardware. But why would hardware fail for just 1 game engine? I played Warzone 2.0 for 3 hours last night without a crash. ECO for 2-3 hours the night before without a crash. That doesn't make any sense, seems more likely a Unity Engine bug of some sort causing crashing. I have literally 0 issues with any other applications (I work on this PC as well) so it's just a bizarre suggestion, that makes 0 sense. I spent 8+ hours on this machine working on mirth etc. I just don't believe it's a hardware issue.

35. dhvyse

dhvyse

OK so this actually turned out to be INCREDIBLY helpful (so far, not gonna count my chickens until some more extensive testing).

Prime95 immediately returned:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 4.22851941e+18, expected less than 0.4

Which, according to the Prime95 forums, means an issue with the CPU not getting enough voltage. My Bios was set to "Auto" for CPU voltage. They recommended raising voltage by intervals of 10 until I get Prime95 with no errors, which I did. I set it to 1.210 (default is 1.200.) And well, Valheim ran longer than it ever has, and so has Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Will report back after a few days of testing this out, but so far so good.

36. badols

badols

Worked, thanks.

37. dhvyse

dhvyse

Just confirming this has seemed to fix my issue entirely, changing CPU voltage from AUTO to a set voltage seemed to do the trick. Not sure why, Unity is a weird engine.

38. AltanTsakhilgaan

AltanTsakhilgaan

I have the same problem please help WhatsApp Image 2023-02-24 at 12.48.04.jpeg

Berlinnnn likes this.
  39. AltanTsakhilgaan

AltanTsakhilgaan

Also now it gives another error
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-24 at 13.23.02.jpeg

40. Berlinnnn

Berlinnnn

exact same problem too

41. Berlinnnn

Berlinnnn

what are your specs?

42. IroquoisPlissken

IroquoisPlissken

The same problem happens to me with Desperados 3 and i've managed to make it work again.
    When trying to launch DXdiag, i've found the windows search bar was not working anymore so i've ran some commands (sfc, DSIM, .dll replacement) to try to repair it, and finally it manages to either repair the Windows Search AND the game...

I hope it can help some people maybe : https://steamcommunity.com/app/610370/discussions/0/5086242673961280766/#c3791506516135000398

43. X30on

X30on

I have exactly the same problem,just with EVERY game made with unity
    Like:
    Valheim
    trailmakers
    banana shooter
    muck
    ETC.
    I've tried absolutely i tried,checking the graphics drivers,tried updating directX,updating the graphics drivers,looking at every graphics driver for any errors (question marks,exclamation marks) and found nothing i've tried chatGPT but it waws no help,so i will try my best to show every error i will find.(if device and operating system will help then) i run windows 11 on a dell inspiron 3542.i didnt find any problems running it on my laptop except playing unity games, i would be very thankful and grateful for any help

Attached Files:

44. cookieparo

cookieparo

did anybody find a solution for this? i also have the problem

45. paulovic12

paulovic12

i'm having the same issue, someone to help? the log:

Attached Files:

46. Tempmail_account1

Tempmail_account1

I have the same problem please help Im getting desperate

47. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That crash is within game code (rather than the engine code) so unfortunately the details are invisible to us. I'd advice talking with the game developer about it.

48. Tempmail_account1

Tempmail_account1

pls help me too

49. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you attach the logs/crash dumps? Can't really help you without any additional information.

50. Tempmail_account1

Tempmail_account1

dont know how to do that but i can provide you with the history of my laptop