Search Unity

Unity Games are hackable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Johnyyyy, Apr 19, 2015.

?

What do you think about this?

1. Unity must take a step.

32.2%
  2. It doesn't matter

67.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

When talking about shaders and protection.
    I bet unity would be quite mad if epic just took the standard shader for unreal.:p

2. Whippets

Whippets

I'm cool with that - then maybe we could nick Cry's vegetation shaders

3. Alf203

Alf203

They can't use it directly as it doesn't work that way... The lighting systems are different so it would be useless without modifications even if the basis of the shaders are very similar.

Woa Mister, that's my cube ! Wait just to make sure... it has 6 sides right ? How many vert ?? How many??

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Ruslank100 likes this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Probably not. I bet you'll find that under the hood the two PBR systems are almost identical. There are only so many ways to write a standard shader. And the number of ways gets dramatically less the more you optimise.

5. Whippets

Whippets

You and your copycat cube.. outside... now...

6. Alf203

Alf203

You'll be hearing from my lawyers soon Mr. Whippets....There will be no doggy treats where you'll be going Mr. :p

Ruslank100 likes this.
  7. Whippets

Whippets

... or picking up the soap in the showers...

Alf203 likes this.
  8. tiggus

tiggus

Then it will really be "Personal Edition"

MD_Reptile and Tomnnn like this.
  9. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Not sure if you remember how it was back then - people were modding Wolfenstein 3D and make "100 levels" CD or "500 levels of Insane DOOM" using original contents and selling them in the shops. ID didn't exactly went ramage sending out cease and desist letters on those modders who made some handsome profit off ID, they simply made deals with 2 of the most popular ones and madee them the "official" sanction one. There after that the mod scene exploded and it eventually grew into a more freely downloadable scene of what we have today.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    darkhog likes this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

A spammer is someone who uses electronic messaging systems to send unsolicited messages. This is typically advertising for a specific product or website. They will frequently use bad formatting and grammar as well as spell a few words wrong repeatedly. Their messages don't always make sense, but occasionally you get a competent spammer.

If we were to compare this definition of a spammer to your initial post it wouldn't be too far off. You presented a basic outline of a specific product, you used poor formatting and grammar, you frequently spell "steal" as "still", and you presented us a link to the product.

One other thing I should point out is that chain email spammers frequently ask us to share the information with others as you have done with your initial post.

Are you a spammer? Some of the signs are pretty close.

Kiwasi likes this.
  11. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Social media is nothing but spam, then?

12. Jither

Jither

Correct.

13. steego

steego

This has been going on forever, this is what we used to hack games when I was a kid

All hail LORD OLAF ;)

QFSW, GarBenjamin, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  14. TimeTravellingBananas

TimeTravellingBananas

my favourite reply for today

15. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Ha, this thread makes me chuckle. There will always be hackers in the world. If you "try" and stop them, it will make your game a target and then everyone will hack you. There are more rule followers than there are hackers. At the end of the day, your game getting hacked won't overcome the honest rule followers that purchase and play your game.

Don't be selfish.

16. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

If someone is messing around with game assets in their free time, nothing you can really do about it

If they're using your assets to sell something for profit, you have the legal right to stop it and recoup any losses incurred. So it's not a huge thing to worry about. All you have to do is contact Steam or Apple or whatever service the bootleg is being sold on, present all the information you need to prove that's your original work, and the bootleg will be shut down in a matter of hours. If it's even bigger than that, file a lawsuit and sue their ass until its raw. You'll win and might even profit from it

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

?

shaderop and Kiwasi like this.
  18. Ostwind

Ostwind

Most of the worst mobile app offenders (rippers, app cloners) live in countries where you cant do anything with when it comes to lawsuits or takedowns. In China for example they mostly dont even use the official platform markets but have their own varying from legal to gray and dark area. There are other threads about this but they can take your game and replace the main art and name but not change anything else so it's hard to even know about the theft. On top of that they can reroute the ad/iap services or replace them with their own. IL2CPP should help a bit with these.

19. larku

larku

Totally.. And for this reason alone I really wish they'd make the current breed of IL2CPP available (as an option) for Android. My current project currently works perfectly with IL2CPP and having it available before I do my Android release would please me to say the least!

20. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

I'd feel bad for anyone who took my artwork and textures. That must mean they are super desperate...

21. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

I like modifying things, everything should be modifiable,

to alter things is a naturally human trait

it is a GREAT thing things like this exist,
    and it is EVIL for encryption to exist

aaronhm77 likes this.
  22. goat

goat

Well you art assets are safe and probably mostly COTS as is probably most of your code. You should only be worried if you have some clever original code.

aaronhm77 likes this.
  23. aaronhm77

aaronhm77

curse all hackers and thieves and pirates, in the video game industry who steel developers and programers work,

hackers can also hack into our computers, at night while we are sleeping, steal all our work and stuff from Unity and so...

the best thing any developer can hope for (at least in my mind) is that angels and gargoyles are watching over our work and games to protect our games and computers, from low life hackers and other low life thieves and low life pirates, etc

24. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

private message me thee link!!

25. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

seriously if they steal your work it means they don't know how to do it. and if they don't know how to do that they won't be able to do anything of it

26. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

And do you know I am a criminal! I use a computer someone else made. I use unity Free which i haven't even coded a single line of... I just used the keys of keyboard to type this. I used someone else's made thing. I am using a micro processor for it which i don't even know how it works. I used the standard shader for free which i stole from the free version of unity.... I am a big criminal take me to prison :)

Ruslank100 and darkhog like this.
  27. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Or maybe they just do not want to spend a long time making a good 3d model and rather spend 5 minutes ripping one.

I assume you paid for your computer / Keyboard? So you got a license to use it. The moment you buy something you enter a contract with the vendor.
    And the computer assembler (who probably sold it to the strore that sold it to you) probably paid some CPU manufacturer to be allowed to use it in that computer.

That's the incredible unity license that explicitely allows this.
    you didn't steal the standard shader, you were explicitely allowed to use it.

Can't say anything about that. I don't know what other serious crimes you may have commited. :p

Ruslank100 and Yash987654321 like this.
  28. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Some business called 'yashi' came to my college to bore everyone for 2 hours. The name is similar. We can blame him for that crime.

Ryiah likes this.
  29. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Well, there we go, a death-threat is a serious crime. But I think and hope I don't have to take that seriously.. :confused:

30. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

Wait! is Death Threat also a crime!. And sorry if you took it seriously

31. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

at 218 posts (at this time of posting) and not banned I would think it's not serious.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  32. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Who knows if he's just a sleeping bomb. ;)
    But yeah, I know it was obviously not serious. It would be too stupid to seriously announce something like this like that..
    Anyways I think it's getting too much offtopic with this now.

33. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

I wasn't serious lol. I don't even know where you live how can I do it. Anyways I deleted the post if it makes anyone feel better

34. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Huh? I feel like what i said came over the wrong way. :eek:
    As i said: "I know it was obviously not serious"
    So no worries, dude :p
    To clarify, I didn't even feel threatened in the first place.
    It just started drifting off-topic and seemingly derailed totally..
    If you ask me a mod can feel free to remove posts from where it started derailing.

35. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It would amuse future readers possibly if you went back and censored it. like...

'kill'=>'hug'

Always italicize your censorship so people know something else used to be there.

36. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Meh. Its probably time to lock this thread anyway. Its served its usefulness. Projects can be decompiled. This is bad. There is nothing you can do about it. There is not a lot more to be said on this thread. So its not so much of a derailment as running out of rails. It happens to most threads.

Now there are only a few of us left eating the last pieces of pizza and laughing at the clown.

37. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

that's what we are trying to do by spamming :)

38. Ostwind

Ostwind

If you want to suggest something reasonable to the mods you use the report button and not spam the thread.

39. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I usually enjoy where threads go before they get locked.

And we're there to see them off.

Jesters > clowns.

Kiwasi likes this.
  40. neginfinity

neginfinity

All games are hackable.

Basically, with enough skill, you can rip textures from pretty much anywhere and there's nothing you can do about it. Audio is a bit harder, but if you get people motivated enough they'll analyze your archive format and tear resources apart.

Now extracting game logic is entirely different thing, however that was also done in case of Sims 3, where people decompiled game core, and started modding it.

I honestly think there's nothing you can do about it. When user have your software on their system they can tear it apart, decompile, extract resources and modify it, because they have full access to everything your program can do and have full control over execution environment. There's a matter of difficulty though.

The only way to make game "unhackable" is to run game logic on remote server. That was successfully done by Blizzard in case of Diablo 3, but people weren't really happy.

Now, regarding stealing your assets.

(opinion) No offense, but I do not think that this a thing people would want to steal. Most of the game scripts are extremely simple, and are not worth stealing unless you spent a month or two writing this particular script.

Basically, system that takes months to write (like UMA) is worth protecting. Something that I can write in a day or two (or even in a week) is not. What I would really care about is art assets and music.

Regarding shaders. In many cases it is possible to figure out "how you did that" by looking at the rendering and replicate rendering results without directly copying material or your shader. Shaders are based on known ideas which have published papers which are freely available. So, if you saw enough papers, you'll know how to replicate the effect after simply looking at it.

That example doesn't work, because engine is material thing. When someone takes your engine, your car stops working. When someone takes your script, you still have it. You also know how it works, while they will have to waste their time figuring it out.

A script is not a car engine. It is comparable to the blueprint of the engine, but not the engine itself.

Now the thing is while you can't stop people tearing your game apart, blatant reuse of your assets should be punished. Sue worthy targets, if you can afford it (and if judicial system works in your country).

Additional thing is that you could try to use hackability to your advantage. You could allow mods. For example, Skyrim mods and (IIRC) minecraft mods are based on hacking the game (probably without permission as well). For example, Skyrim Script Extender is pure hacking. However, Valve decided to turn that into revenue stream.

So, instead of being upset of possibility of hacks, I would advise to look for possibilities to turn that into revenue.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

NomadKing likes this.
  41. Stef_Morojna

Stef_Morojna

I would actually be interested in looking into code of big games just to see how the they do it. lol

42. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

i did it in flash and the results were annoying. it was broken from everywhere in script. but the artwork was Woking

43. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

That sounds like my game mod class. We looked at the source for quake 2 and tried to make something else out of it. The code was scary and the resources were so limited that if you tried to do too much the game would just crash.

44. neginfinity

neginfinity

You're very likely to see a big horrifying mess with few islands of sanity in several highly-specialized subsystems.

Saying that, source code for old ID software games (all the way up to idtech3) is freely available for download under GPL license, so you can look all you want.

Tomnnn likes this.
  45. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I can only hope my game becomes popular enough that people would want to pirate its content trying to cling from the game's success somehow, or even for personal use.

If I only were so lucky! :3

46. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Seeing this thread revived reminds me of playing an arcade game long ago.... RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Anyway, yeah so people are going to take our graphics, sounds, music and source code. Will it do them any good.... hopefully but I doubt it. They can take all of this stuff and make a copy of the game but unless they can market it better it is of little value. Other than possibly they can learn something from the code.

If someone learns something from pouring over my "old school" code good for them. The thing is by the time they have done that the next game will be well under way if not already released. They will always be behind. And again unless they can market it better or win the game lottery it won't matter anyway.

If it becomes a big thing may make sense as another monetization method. I've considered actually offering full project source cheap for a while now.

Just make a good campaign...

Tired of looking at confusing code you've broken into? Work smarter not harder. Download the full documented source today for only... whatever... your competition already has. They can also ask me questions any time they need more detail. :)

47. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Well I must be from a younger generation, because seeing this thread revived reminds me of Yu Gi Oh

GarBenjamin likes this.
  48. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Probably so. I have no idea what that is. Although the name reminds me of Yu Yu Hakusho which I only am aware of because kids told me about it.

I was thinking of...

49. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Wait, you've never heard of Yu Gi Oh at all!?

Not even the anime?

Basically it's this card game that came out during the whole TCG fad during the early 2000s that was based on a game from the anime of the same name. The anime is basically the cheesiest thing ever, but so much so that it's actually endearing, not to mention theres a parody of it online which is hilarious. It's basically a universe where card games solve all problems and have the ability to pretty much destroy the world. How could that not be hilarious? I mean there are people with guns running around, but thanks to censorship in the west, the guns are invisible and therefore card games are a much more powerful weapon.

These days the game is completely ravaged by power creep, it's rather unfortunate, because I used to love playing it online against people while while trash talking them in the style of the show, and threatening to send them to the Shadow Realm.

I love that I've heard of the game you are mentioning though, even though I've never played it. You can just hear that Sega soundcard goodness, hah a ha. I feel like Sega was much bigger on the voice samples than SNES was at that time.

50. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Well the name does seem somewhat familiar but I am just not sure if it is just because there was something else similar or because of that exact name.

BUT.... once you said card battle game... it kind of made me think that may have been the game the boys were into years ago. They'd buy these packs of cards as often as they could that had various cool creatures on them with different abilities. But since I never got into it I really don't know exactly what the game was. Only that I really liked the cool creations on the cards and could understand why they liked them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.