Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity game to Steam deck

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silver100, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Silver100

Silver100

I have built a game where my input manager strings map out to a standard X box controller only: Joystick button 1,2,3 etc. Will this automatically work on a steam deck?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Test on target device. Do never assume.

Silver100 and Ryiah like this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Considering all of my searches for a default mapping layout are only turning up info on how to rebind the controls I'm going to assume it won't.

Silver100 likes this.
  4. halley

halley

All of the new Input System's [Gamepad] bindings work fine on a Steam Deck. Two analog sticks, stick press, dpad, select/options, X Y A B, shoulder buttons, trigger axes. I don't know about the legacy Input management setup, most inputs should be serviceable but the mapping is likely quirky. The custom things like two trackpads are not covered by either API. The Gyro also is supported. Not sure how to use the haptic/rumble system, to be honest. I haven't tested it but you should also be able to use the touch screen API but that's a little bit separate from both input APIs.

Silver100 likes this.
  5. Silver100

Silver100

Thanks. Looks like I would need to spend time researching & optimising an existing PC build game to run on a steam deck but looks like there are many options and support.

6. Silver100

Silver100

Good point, it will be much easier to get the device and test all options.

7. Silver100

Silver100

Thanks that was my thoughts too.

8. Silver100

Silver100

Thanks, good point on haptic settings too. Basically it looks like my exiting PC designed game may not work immediately and would need to follow some optimisation steps.