Search Unity

Unity Game Programming Resources

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Predster, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Predster

Predster

Greetings,

I am a student, and I am using Unity for a school project, but I have minimal programming skills. I've done the marble/racing/FPS tutorials that come with Unity, but I still feel I need more work on programming.

Can anyone reccommend any sites/books for learning game programming as it realtes to Unity?

Are there any more Unity tutorials besides the ones that come with Unity?

Thanks,

L.

2. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

3. Predster

Predster

Thanks!

4. andeeeee

andeeeee

Just a word about your username, Spastic...

I know there's an innocent reason for using it, but I thought I should warn you that, since Christmas 1981 the word "spastic" has been regarded as *very* offensive in the United Kingdom and nobody ever uses it now except for deliberate shock value.

(Note that I'm not offended myself - I know it's just the adjectival form of "spasm" - but there may be those who are. Then again, perhaps it's the Brits' own fault that we have this cultural oddity and we deserve everything we get!)

5. Predster

Predster

I am very sorry if it is offensive! I am not British and had no idea it had this connotation.

I study in a physiological/medically based field and was researching the syndrome "spastic colon", and just really liked the name. I'll see if I can change it.

6. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

OK, now you have me curious. What occurred Christmas 1981 that caused this word to become offensive?

--Randy

7. Willem

Willem

8. andeeeee

andeeeee

Well, as Willem mentioned, there is a children's TV programme in the UK called Blue Peter (don't worry about the strange name for now). I believe it is the longest running children's series in the world and a cornerstone of British civilisation. However, Blue Peter's producers have a famous habit of taking a false step every now and again, causing uproar when they do.

Blue Peter launches a Christmas charity appeal every year but in 1981 the appeal backfired spectacularly. They were campaigning in aid of cerebral palsy, which was then known as spastic paralysis (ie, paralysis caused by muscle spasms). The appeal was spearheaded by a writer called Joey Deacon who courageously fought the effects of cerebral palsy to write a groundbreaking autobiography, virtually one letter at a time. However, Blue Peter miscalculated the response of their young viewers - instead of motivating the appeal, Joey Deacon became an object of ridicule literally overnight and the word "spastic" started to be used as a playground insult.

Worse still, the BBC followed up the initial Blue Peter programme with a few documentaries and updates, much to the mirth of their target audience. It was only eventually that the general public became aware of what had happened.

Anyway, the Spastics Society was renamed and everything bearing the word was hastily removed. In fact, spastic colon is called "irritable bowel syndrome" in the UK. There's now a kind of national guilt about this unfortunate event (the children of 1981 are now thirtysomethings like me and would hate to hear children say something like this nowadays). Since it's never been used for years, nobody ever says "spastic" except in deliberate reference to the Blue Peter incident and it is considered childishly cruel and tasteless to use it anywhere else.

And I'm really sorry to say it, but the word "spac" was also used as a variant. as was "spaz" and there were one or two others (and don't call yourself Joey Deacon either). Personally, I would understand if you just paid no attention to this bizarre bit of British history, but I think there might be people on the forum who cringe when they see the word "spastic".

9. taumel

taumel

Wasn't Lurid about writing a unity book, maybe for v2 now? Although i have no idea if his book would have dealt more with unity or game development.

I do have no specific books in mind right now which deal with game development or programming but it might help browsing through amazon and reading some quotes on different books. As for Javascript i'm sure you can already find some ressources via google but it would be nice if for instance unity would either provide docs on this on it's own and/or include some links to good ressources.

10. heyyeah

heyyeah

i found the APress books quite good when i was learning .net / c# a while ago for quality of content and writing style. just browsing through Amazon tonight for something to read they still get good reviews. they should complement the code you find on here and UnifyWiki. Does anyone have suggestions on recent books on game design? and or asset creation?