Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Game Development Book

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Merries, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Merries

Merries

2. Merries

Merries

The book is complete now just the conclusion is missing, go grab it :)

3. outtoplay

outtoplay

It's a beautiful thing...

B.

4. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Just bought it and it looks great! Can`t wait to spend the next week going through this one :)

Great work Will!

5. shader

shader

Thanks for letting us know, I am off to download the remaining chapters now !

EDIT: Am I right in assumming that the code download file has not been updated (or indeed needs to be)
    ie files: 8181_1_code to 8181_08_code

thanks

6. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Hiya, will you be posting a sample chapter so I can see your writing style? It's kinda blind faith atm :)

Cheers! And congrats on finishing.

~t

7. SeeSawSin

SeeSawSin

When will the book be finally publish? I rather buy the real book then e-book :D

8. mikemurry

mikemurry

Publisher claims "Expected October 2009".

9. janoonk

janoonk

Bought the RAW version of the book couple of days ago. Great read for beginners. Maybe even intermediate.
    The book is heavily inspired on his video tutorials on http://www.learnmesilly.com

10. Spider Mycron

Spider Mycron

Hello, i just want to be sure please for scripters only ?

Thanks

11. asterix

asterix

Is it PC or Mac? cause I have a PC.

12. shader

shader

In reply to a couple posts above:

The book has plenty of JavaScripting in it. If you watch Will's videos, you'll realize that the book is very similar to what's covered in those. In someways that's good but you may feel that you might have wanted other things covered.

The book is suitable for both Mac and PC users.

I would recommmend purchasing the pdf (RAW) book as it's good value for money. Having said that, if you print out the pdf manual, it's about 2.5 inches thick !

13. Spider Mycron

Spider Mycron

i bought the book and it is really fantastic and helpful one, i like how it speak simple and easy way about many thing

am still read it but it just going to let me understand many things hope to find more to buy and read.

Many thanks

14. asterix

asterix

Wow, I started to use it, as a newbie (installed it for less than a week) you might want my feedback.

- I find the p.15-16 a little vague. I think you should show with the help of the picture p.16 where is : assets, component... would be much more clear.
    Also picture on p.16 should be default view (2/3)
    - Unicron is no where to be found on my pc version, freshly installed. (don't know on the web where it is either)
    - p.18 We'll look into the drag and drop functionality further in Chapter 1. (well you might want to talk about chapter 2)
    - p.20 "to read more on the topics discussed in this chapter, in order to supplement your study of 3D development." can you point at something?
    - P.25 Where did you get the resolution window, should mention.

Sorry, I don't want to be a :twisted: but, as I can give feedback on a literature that is not published yet, I think as a new user, wish that book seem to aim (glad), I guess you would want some feedback.

I will keep post as long as I am reading.

15. SeeSawSin

SeeSawSin

I am having an issue on payment!! I'm using a VISA debit card to pay the book and the pdf files, but the it keeps showing up an error!!

Any ideas to resolve this issue?! NEED THIS BOOK BAD !!!
    :x

16. Spider Mycron

Spider Mycron

it should work to buy "RAW" file , i may advice you to check out your Visa in case you don't have enough credits inside it :)

17. asterix

asterix

Try a CREDIT card.

18. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone

thanks for your comments, i've been busily fixing and ammending to chapters in a push to get the book out of RAW status and finished with my editors.

Thanks for the feedback, its really useful and i'll try and include as much as possible in the final book. Really overwhelmed to see the response and am totally humbled by the interest shown by the community, you guys rock!

Any other feedback feel free to send on here via message or email me at willgoldstone [at] gmail dot com.

All the best guys

Will

19. Spider Mycron

Spider Mycron

i will support you completely ... hope you may email me a banner with URL to let me advertise it all over the net by my community any chance.

Looking forward to get your very kindly updates and other chapters :)

20. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

I'd be happy to when I get a moment, let me know what dimensions you'd need! always appreciate the help

Thanks for the kind offer

Will

21. Spider Mycron

Spider Mycron

any size you may prefer, maybe you just prepare 3 different sizes .

for example: 468 x 60 pixels .

: )

22. Dan Mills

Dan Mills

I've just purchased and downloaded it and I think it's a great piece of work; just like the Space Invaders tutorial posted in this sub-forum also.

Here's my opinion so far:

The EBook is more comprehensive than the video tutorials being supplemented by many thorough explanations of Inspector parameters etc and additional information that even if not utilised in the given tutorial project, serve very well as a "Oh now that book mentioned that! I'll just go look that explanation up again" for future more ellaborate projects. The supplied creative assets have been polished more also compared to their video tutorial counterparts.

There are some typos and not as clear as could be sentences but all in all it is still a pretty well finished text. (Will, do you have any sort of tracker or way I could note any errors as I go through it, if that would be of help?)

I am planning to do the scripting in C# as opposed to UScript also, as I did with the Space Invaders Quick Start Tutorial, as it helps me get to grips with C# in a non-parrot fashion way, having to learn the syntax from the UScript examples; given robust examples one is just left to suss out the differences, which I think is a great way to learn.

All in all, from what I am reading so far, it's a very commendable addition and and at a very good price all considered. 8)

Congrats

23. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi Dan

thanks very much for your review, glad you're enjoying it so far, a fair bit has changed and been corrected since the RAW edition and we're in the final technical editing stages currently. Its easiest if you send me any issues you find directly at my email willgoldstone [at] gmail dot com- i'm going to go through readers responses as I go through my tech editor's final drafts before print as a final check - but hopefully what you've noted so far has been sorted already with any luck.

Cheers again really appreciate everyones feedback its awesome!

Will

24. shader

shader

Yes, the book is indeed a great contribution to the Unity community. Dan, maybe you could post the C# code when you're finished, that also would be much appreciated !

Thanks guys :)

25. Dan Mills

Dan Mills

I have started a thread in the "Scripting" sub-forum.

I am only learning myself also, so I am hoping that such a thread might be alot of help to those trying to do same; I did the Space Invaders type tutorial transcoding to c# and when I got stuck I sorta just stumbled on, drove me nuts at times...

Linkage: http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=30312

Please support it and we might get some help; and help others?

26. shader

shader

Hi Dan,

Yeah, it's early days, I am going to get stuck into this soon and I'll be contributing, hopefully :)

27. antisymmetry

antisymmetry

I would like learn more about scripting and character interaction. Is this book Something that has already been covered in the tutorials and documentation on Unity's web site? Does it offer more than the "Coconut Shy Game" or the FPS and Third person tutorials on the Unity site?

28. antisymmetry

antisymmetry

"I would like learn..."

Apparently I'm part caveman!

29. asterix

asterix

On chapter 4, my door slide in, but going out it dose not close correctly (it miss a couple of inch to close completly), like the animation is incomplete.

30. Dan Mills

Dan Mills

At a guess it could be to do with the desciption given about importing via FBX and thye settings that can cause an extra frame or one frame out in the intended range... just a guess but you may want to take a look back at the import of the outpost instructions again?

31. antisymmetry

antisymmetry

Are the scripts used in the book pretty useful? At the conclusion of the book, will I be able to put together a third or first person game?

32. asterix

asterix

33. antisymmetry

antisymmetry

Thanks asterix!

34. AaronC

AaronC

There are some very handy concepts in the book, which can apply to any type of game. I think overall this book is a must for any keen Unity developer.

AC

35. antisymmetry

antisymmetry

Thanks AaronC!

36. rawi

rawi

...almost missed the updates to the book!
    that was written pretty fast.

thank you very much , Will!

this is the best Intro and tutorial for Unity: starts from the basic, is comprehensive, extensive and very clear!

Shame on you People from UNITY3D - this ebook is the way how tutorials should be done!

every user should get Will's book
    Looking forward to the hardcover as well!

37. SamK

SamK

Thanks for the info guys. (and gals :wink: )

I am new to unity and have spent last 20 days going over the demo and sample projects along with browseing forums and docs. Will be purchaseing license next week (I have 10 days left on demo :p )
    and looks like I will also be picking up this book. From everyones replies this is a very good and helpful book. :wink:

38. Seer

Seer

Questions:
    a) Is this book aimed at those who can already programme?

b) Is the book using UnityScript or C#? (are there any scripting tutorials for newbies?)

Thanks.

39. Merries

Merries

This book is for new folks to Unity, it uses Javascript/Unityscript and is very well explained.

40. Merries

Merries

**Did you have to redownload the book to get the updates? I didn't receive or see any additions on the publishing website.

41. janoonk

janoonk

Well that's pretty harsh! I find the docs and tutorials from Unity one of the best. And I have used much engines and applications.
    Also the website is very good structured and the forum is also very good and fast responses too. Very active community also.

42. rawi

rawi

to janoonk

well, ok, ok the official docs are indeed great!

the tutorials are lacking however! i struggled with the 3d tutorial and i found it neither very clear nor very motivating for a near-beginner!
    just compare it to Will's ebook and videos and you will understand what i mean.
    Unity3d is such a great piece of software, that i do not understand, why it has so few instructional material from the developers themselves!
    ...and guess what: why are so many extra tutorials and intros from the gifted users here?

thanks of course to all offering videos, books and others help for users without 10 years of professional career!
    Will Goldstone therefore has done an excellent effort for us

43. rawi

rawi

to Merries:

i redownloaded the ebook some days ago and it has grown in the meanwhile.
    I expected some announcements, but maybe i misunderstood something!
    So go again to packt and download again and you will have the newest edition up to chapter 10!

44. shader

shader

We owe a debt of gratitude to Will Goldstone (and others) for making the software accessible to beginners.

45. asterix

asterix

Why is
    Code (csharp):
    1. @script RequireComponent(something)
    in script and it dose not ask us to do anything with it?

46. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

asterix - whereabouts in the book are you referring to there? Looks like an example to me.. as in I'm saying 'here is how you'd write an @script line', do I not then go on to implement such a line?

47. janoonk

janoonk

I don't understand what you mean Asterix! It's as clear as water to me. For example the first time it's used in the book is at chapter 3 page 87:

What is it you don't understand about that?

48. asterix

asterix

Sorry let me explain more. In chap 6 we see that @ code to put at the end.
    Code (csharp):
    1. @script RequireComponent(AudioSource)
    It will create a extra AudioSource component, but the book dose not state (or I din't find it yet) what sound to put there, cause there is already a sound "member" available with the script component that I choose "throw" sound.

I can comment the whole
    Code (csharp):
    1. //@script RequireComponent(AudioSource)
    and the game will work the same.

Thanks

49. janoonk

janoonk

I think you seriously need to study the book (and maybe even the Scripting Reference) better.

You need to specify the type of the component to be added for example AudioSource or CharacterController (see Scripting Reference for all types).

Unity will then automatically add this type of Component to the GameObject where the above script is attached to.

You then need to fill the properties of the component (for example audio.clip) by yourself either through script:
    Code (csharp):
    1. var otherClip : AudioClip;
    2. audio.clip = otherClip; //this line will fail if AudioSource component is not attached to the GameObject, that's why a RequireComponent line come in handy!
    or through the inspector by drag/drop an AudioClip on the property of the AudioSource component named "Audio Clip"

50. RHD

RHD

Just downloaded it. I'll be trying to read my laptop in bed tonight.