Search Unity

Unity Game Developer Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Aurore, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You can't submit to the Windows Store with that checkbox unchecked.

I'd suggest using a profiler to find out what's causing the spikes. Last time I investigated such issue it turned out to be the case of very liberal use of reflection.

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Really? I heard that all it did was enable something like IL2CPP aka. it uses native code rather than IL... :(
    And where on earth would I be using reflection in my game?

On that note, perhaps it's time to finally ditch 5.2.x and go 5.3. (I've been putting off upgrading for as long as I could, since 5.3 was riddled with bugs first-release!)

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It might be a different issue, I don't know. I just shared what I had seen before. The only sure way to finding out what's making it stutter is to use a profiler.

4. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, oddly, I re-enabled .NET native... and it works fine now. Obviously, there was something VS was stuffing up until I turned that off the first time. :/ (A lighting bug also came back when i re-enabled that option... that's easy to fix up)

5. MaciejKrzykwa

MaciejKrzykwa

6. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

Thank you sir, it worked. But wont it affect or change anything?
    One more thing, is it too late to enter the competition now?

7. Plattinator

Plattinator

If you can get past certification before February 10th, then you should be fine.

8. MrGky93

MrGky93

hi how many days it needs to publish it in Windows Store ??
    Also a question is for mobile games or for all windows (windows 7 etc...10)??

9. Plattinator

Plattinator

That depends on how many times it is rejected and you have to fix things. This is the reason that the deadline for submitting to the store was January 27th, so you have time to fix things and submit again if something is wrong.

10. GARA

GARA

I want to enter in the contest but, I have one question for now.

1.Can I enter the contest as company or it has to be sole individual?, because the game that I created is under the name of the company that I established.

11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Another question for all; why are IL2CPP builds 12.6GB apiece?
    I'm close to submitting now... :) (And most of the bugs in my entry are fixed too)

EDIT: One more thing too; I noticed that in all of my builds, there's a small black box in the main window before the game starts proper... would it be legal (aka. not against Unity's EULA) if I changed this? I ask because I found what looks like the exact same box inside the "assets" folder of by built VS solution.

12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You can change whatever assets you want in your VS solution.

13. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

Can you run your game in vs? because i cant when built with IL2CPP. It doesnt show the debug/master/release. It only says "attach.."

EDIT: Nevermind i fixed it xD

14. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok... Fair enough, start screen fix, here we come. :)

Heh... I didn't even bother continuing the IL2CPP build process, I got impatient when the size kept climbing to 1... 2.. 6... 8... then I just shut off the unity process and started over with the normal backend. :D

15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok guys, ALL MY CONTENT'S DONE. I just have to toss a couple more things in, and I have a submission in my hands! :)

16. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Is it me or are the 'Windows Phone Tiles and Logos' in the player settings messed up when building? I painstakingly made every one for each size and when I look at the .appxmanifest it seems to have mixed the small and medium ones together, it only fills in the 100% scale ones, and even though in Unity I have to specify 4 scales for each tile, in the manifest I only have to set 3.

17. Plattinator

Plattinator

You can assign those in the appxmanifest in Visual Studio and it seems to work just fine. Also keep in mind that when you make a build in the same folder as an existing build, Unity doesn't overwrite the built Visual Studio solution or other files in it if you've made changes to those files manually.

18. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

happens to me too, i usually delete it all then re-write it to avoid any mistake.

19. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Mine kept NOT exporting them! I ended up manually replacing the files in my solution when Unity kept putting the default logos into the assets folder. One thing I noticed too is that once I did that, unity FINALLY started putting the files in. :/

Automatic WSA icon generation anyone? :D

mechangel likes this.
  20. mechangel

mechangel

WHELP I tried anything I can think of, my point and spotlights turn into flat shapes no matter what I try. Tried Forward, and Deferred, made sure I only have direct3D11 api, turned shadows off, changed specular shader on the floor to normal standard shader..but I know it worked before so I'm giving in and downloading old patches of 5.3 to see if I can roll back to a working light build scenario. C'mon light, work dangit!
    Edit: I tried every version between 5.2.3p2 and Latest. I am going to submit a bug report with only the car on a plane with it's light on. (Even though I know that won't be answered in time for this contest, but the contest was never really the point anyway - I just needed some motivation. )

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  21. AVOlight

AVOlight

@FuzzyQuills if you use svg for your logo Vector is a great app for generating the assets fast

just open the windows store app and search for Vector

and definitely set up the logo assets in Visual Studio rather than in Unity,
    in Visual Studio if the name of the assets are right (which Vector does for you) it automatically picks the rest of the scales for a particular png resolution
    e.g.
    StoreLogo.scale-100.png
    StoreLogo.scale-125.png
    StoreLogo.scale-150.png
    etc

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Heh heh... Sounds like an awful lot of trouble for ONE light! :D I've run into similar bugs in the past before.
    Anyways, good luck with solving it. :)

EDIT: I'll admit too that the contest was possibly the only way I was getting something out there... I've been experimenting and programming various games for a good 3-5 years since I caught onto unity, with some efforts failing, some successful, and others giving me useful assets and knowledge I reused in future projects. I also released a unity asset during that time. :) (It's still in my sig, although Unity 5 changed how useful it was. ;))

Anyway, good to see that someone else is in my boat! :D And on that note, time to upload my app packages... I've finished!!! :p

Looks like someone has the same impatience problems as me, and solved it for themselves... ;) Definitely looking into using this for a future title. the funny part is, I was actually considering writing my own tool from scratch for this, so... instant life (and time) saver! :)

23. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I have now submitted my game! :) I'm currently waiting on certification. :)

mechangel likes this.
  24. Rickywild

Rickywild

How many times can you update a submission? I want to update again, just to add a little more content to it but i'm unsure if it'll be rejected or not.

Here's mine https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGH1Z9KF

I keep removing it but going to keep it up now

25. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

Bro, i downloaded your game and i dont even know how to play. You should show hints for keyboard too not just the controller

26. Rickywild

Rickywild

Yeah unfortunately I haven't finished the tutorial/introduction to the game. I'm aware the keyboard needs support too. I just don't have enough time to get these finished and put in before the end of the competition. It's a survival game, you run and reach the end of the level without dying,basically.

27. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

If i were you, id put the keyboard tut before, because i think its better for this competition. Everyone has a keyboard, not a controller.

28. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

Im trying to build a package so i can upload it to the windows store, but im getting this error.
    Anyone knows how to fix it?

Attached Files:

29. Rickywild

Rickywild

I know, thanks for the feedback. I will try to get the keyboard support in there.

Limit: Each entrant may enter the Contest ten (10) times during the Contest Period. Each Submission you submit must be substantially unique and different. Closely similar Submissions that have minor changes (i.e., color, language) but have been submitted as separate Submissions will be disqualified and only the first Submission submitted under that Submission type will be eligible. Submissions received from any person or email address in excess of the stated limit will be void.

Does this mean you can update your submission 10 times max? or does it mean you can submit it into the contest 10 times max? Can we have an infinite number of updates to our submission inside the windows store? The link windows store provides you remains the same throughout updating, so would this mean the game has entered the competition once, regardless of the updates to that submission?

30. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

ofc during the contest only, you can make as much updates as you want later on.
    I dont know why they put that in their rules, seems pointless to me.

31. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Wow... my app passed certs on the spot! I didn't expect that. Anyone had similar experiences?

32. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Welp... one update, and mine's good, I just noticed a glaring flaw in the entire game, and need to upload a fix! :D

EDIT:
    @Huseyin.aslan: what about glaring-flaw-type bug fixing?

33. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

Can you be more specific? I dont know what you mean about that :p

34. Deozaan

Deozaan

This means you can enter 10 different games into the competition.

You can update your game on the Windows Store as much as you want. But I'd get your final update submitted/accepted to the store before the deadline (Feb 10) or they may be judging your submission based on an older entry.

Rickywild likes this.
  35. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Huh, so that's what they mean, they should be more clear.

Like... no game over screen? Through all the chaos where I am, I forgot to add one...

36. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, one more thing; although the game itself works fine... I appear to have a bug in my windows store version.
    It doesn't seem to show the Unity Personal splash screen anymore... every time I start the game, my windows app splash shows up, (i.e. the image I set in the folder marked "assets" in my solution) then normally, the unity splash screen appears.

Since upgrading to 5.3 however, now all that appears is a white screen after my splash... I'm actually concerned, since I don't have Unity Pro, and this could potentially be a legal issue. Is this a bug in Unity 5.3.2?

37. Rickywild

Rickywild

When i first submitted, i noticed a few things were missing and not fully functioning. I think it may be something to do with the ~It will take up to 16 hours for your changes to be visible to all of your customers, email that you receive. You may notice over time the splash screen will return. However it could be something else? What have you entered into the competition? Jet Rat Speedway?

38. Deozaan

Deozaan

*shrug* It seemed pretty clear to me. :) But maybe that's because at the time I read it, I didn't realize that the Windows Store certification process referred to your uploads as "submissions" so I just figured it meant max 10 submissions (entries/games) to the contest.

Anyone know if you can update your Windows Store info (like description, screenshots, features, etc.) without having to upload a new version of the game itself? That would be nice.

39. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Nope... :D Some people did ask if I entered that game though. And for the record, I'll be resuming work on it once I finish up with my entry. :) And who knows? Maybe it will get a windows store version as well, since that game primarily targets android. ;)

As for my windows store game... it hasn't quite lived up to this post, (and I accidentally posted in the support section instead of WIP... @hippocoder could you move it please? :D) but this will give you a good idea of what I did. (NOTE: The game no longer uses a Mode7 shading style, so disregard any references to this)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/track-ideas-for-a-racing-game-anyone.375715/

40. slaczky

slaczky

Today I got an email from Unity that I'm not submited my game to the contest, but I'm already did that.
    "You submitted the 1st form in order to receive a Windows Developer account token, but have not yet entered your game into the contest. This email is a gentle reminder that you will need to complete the final submission form below in order to enter the contest."
    When I try to resubmit my game, I get this error: "E-mail has already been taken"
    Now I don't know is my game entered the contest or not

ex_mi likes this.
  41. ex_mi

ex_mi

similarly!!!

slaczky likes this.
  42. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Hopefully I don't run into this trouble... :D

slaczky likes this.
  43. slaczky

slaczky

and I have a confirmation email that I got earlier with this text
    "Thank you for submitting your entry to the Unity Game Developer Contest. This email is confirmation that we have successfully received your entry..."
    I think the subbmisions are ok, there must be an error on their server

44. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Probably is, someone's probably set it up to send them out automatically regardless if you submitted or not. I wouldn't be surprised if this is why you got that email... ;)

45. slaczky

slaczky

I hope you are right :cool:

46. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

I have a question.
    I submitted my game but i want it to be for mobile only, not desktop. How do i manage to do that?

47. Rickywild

Rickywild

You can find the options for setting that under, Pricing and availability under your submission. There are two check boxes under Windows 10 device families, Desktop and Mobile. I've checked only desktop,however my app seems to have been downloaded on mobiles regardless, resulting in a crash more than most likely. Hope that helps

48. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Just exclude desktop devices form the app in the dashboard. :) atm, I'm uploading a package, so I can't check where that is... :D

EDIT: WildLogicGames beat me to it. :p

Rickywild likes this.
  49. wonderkid

wonderkid

Anyone know how to fix this error : "The project requires user input .Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
    I'm trying to load Windows 10 Universal build on Visual Studio. Here is the ss

Attached Files:

50. mechangel

mechangel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity