Search Unity

Unity Game Developer Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Aurore, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Wut? :D

2. shopguy

shopguy

I think he's wondering how many they will give away. Not sure, but I don't think they are picking an exact number, just based on how many high-quality entries they get... if lots of quality entries, might be 10+ honorable mentions, if not many quality entries, they might only have a couple.

3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Yea, that's what I was thinking, but the way he said it... it's as if someone was getting more than one pro license... (Who does that?! :D)

Anyway, point said, and that would be interesting to see. :)

4. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, yes, there will be 20 honorable mentions :) Good luck!

5. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Yes, as long as your brother is over 18 years old, meaning he can legally accept the T&Cs :)

6. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

7. Vickylance

Vickylance

Also you need a preferably a win10 pro edition if you want to install the emulators on your pc for testing purpose because for the emulatos to work on windows 10 you need to have Hyper-V enabled which is a Pro only feature... but if you are having a windows phone then who needs an emulator unless you want to test the game in different resolutions.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have another question:

Let's say I successfully manage to submit my game to the Windows Store.
    If afterwards I release an update that adds more content ( let's say more levels ), will my game get disqualified from the contest?

9. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That is, if the emulators ever start... ;) (And I'm using win10 pro) (For some reason, they didn't on my machine)

10. goat

goat

No, but that's a lot of content to release in such a short time frame.

11. 12boulla

12boulla

Dag Nab. I'm only 14 so I can't enter :(. Why do we have to be at least 18?
    Also, to make things worse, I only have Unity 4 because I really don't have any hard drive space left on my (really old and outdated) PC. Well, good luck everyone I guess, maybe in a few years I can enter XD

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

How big is it? You can always use an external hard disk drive, although that could be a bit slow for some things.

As for the age requirement, I heard you can have a parent or legal guardian submit your entry. ;) Anyways, good luck!

On a side note, I do look forward to seeing how other people take on this challenge, especially younger ones able to get their parents to sign up. (I'm 18 myself, and fresh out of school, thus, I'm able to enter. :))

12boulla likes this.
  13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

True, but some people are faster than others... ;)

14. samuelhavel

samuelhavel

Now I'm more excited to enter the contest. Good luck, everyone!

15. ted_clubberlang

ted_clubberlang

Hi I have one question. Can game made for this competition be used to sell at other stores? For example Google Play or App Store?

16. SarperS

SarperS

What is the status on the porting guides, when will they be added?

Because I'm having build errors or black screens/crashes in my project (which runs perfectly fine on Android, iOS and Standalone).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

What kind? I've made successful builds that don't crash, so let me know what the symptoms are, and I can help fix it. :)

18. hjupter

hjupter

I have not been able to make it work even on a empty project with a UI button on it, I keep getting errors this is the first one "WinRT information: Access is denied." this is my first time using it so I have no idea what Im doing haha... Any ideas?

I've tried with Unity 5.3.0, 5.3.1 and 5.3.1p1, also .net or ilc2pp

19. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Weird. Let's check a few things first...
    First thing is the OS: If you don't have Windows 10, then... I'm not sure how you're going to get a contest entry in. I think Windows 8.1 machines can build UWP apps, but they obviously can't run them, so make sure you have another computer system with windows 10 on it for testing. (Or perhaps a friend with a windows 10 device can help here. :))

If you do have windows 10 (Like me. :p) next thing to check: have you got VS 2015 installed? this is the version of visual studio with UWP support. If not, then get VS 2015 community, it's free and comes with the FULL TOOLSET you need to build windows 10 apps. :) (Or you could opt for the other options, if you have the money and want to pay for Pro or something) Before installing it, make sure you have an internet connection as i downloads everything on install. (Or you could download the ISO image and run it from there, it doesn't need internet to install most things)

Also, to avoid a massive install size, (a full installation with all features tops 32GB, so this one's tricky to get right...) when installing, make sure to tick the options with names like "windows 10 UWP tools" or something like that. (If you know of other features you want, now's the time to install them) Unless you're doing iOS/android development in VS, make sure those are unticked before hitting go. Once it's installing, this will take a while, so... Go play Zelda or something. :p

Also, make sure your client device (or your computer, that's where I test my UWP apps since it has 10) has developer mode turned on. To do this, go to settings > windows update and security > for developers and select the "developer mode" button.

If you do have visual studio (or have just installed it now) then read on:
    Open your project (if it's already open, don't bother. :p) then make sure you export your project (using the build button, not build and run) to a directory of your choice. Once it's done, go to windows explorer and navigate to your directory, then open your solution in VS 2015. (it should be called your project name, and should open in Visual Studio 2015)

Once the solution opens, (there shouldn't be any errors) go to the build dropdown, and select "deploy solution" NOTE: UNLESS YOU SELECT A PHONE TO TEST ON, YOUR MACHINE MUST BE RUNNING WINDOWS 10 FOR THIS TO WORK!!! If you want to deploy to a windows 10 phone or tablet, then select the "local machine" dropdown, and select your device to build to. (If this doesn't work... that's out of my hands, as I haven't deployed remotely before... :D) Also, before doing so, make sure you have an internet connection up.

If it's building ok, what you should see is "restoring packages from path/to/project.json" then it will vanish. (If by now something like 102 errors or more appears in the console, ignore it, as it's just NuGet complaining) goto the output tab, and wait. (you should only see "build started" in there)The output should read when it's done "Deployed Successfully" (Or something like that... I kinda forgot what message it gave in the console!)

When deployment is done, go to your search box and type in the project name. A windows app should pop up. Open it and it should run! :)

And that's essentially it to getting a build to run successfully.

EDIT: Goddammit I wrote an essay... :p

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, they say "create or port" so perhaps that includes games just published elsewhere, like of course the two stores you mentioned.

21. Tomza

Tomza

I see Microsoft do all to make people use their "wonderful" product. Well done, guys!

22. hjupter

hjupter

Wow... well I have windows 10 build 10586.36 (preview build I guess) with dev mode on, I already have vs 2015 with vs community with Windows 10 UWP tools. I'm able to build from unity successfully but when I try to build on vs first Im getting a lot of warnings after it finish building I'm getting errors

And after hit continue in a few more error popups this is how sad my windows app looks xD

I've tried release and debug and its the same result.

@FuzzyQuills Thanks for the detail post btw.

23. shopguy

shopguy

@hjupter you might try posting these details in the main Windows forum, as a new thread, and then also zip up your entire project folder including the VS solution and upload it somewhere (Google drive/etc) so someone can try to build the VS solution and see if it works for them. That is, the "empty project" you are trying to build. If it works for someone else, then you likely have some system/core issues which you might have to resort to reinstalling some of those things, I'd probably go in whatever order is easiest, but would include everything from Windows, to .NET (whatever version your project is targeting), to Visual Studio, and maybe even Unity.

Might be worth reading about others with similar errors:

http://peterluzc.blogspot.com/2014/01/speechsynthesizer-throws-exception-in.html

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15280599/windows-8-metro-app-file-share-access

...the "access denied" could be trying to deploy the binaries to the target location, device, local or simulator.

I'd also (in your new thread dedicated to this issue) list any other related symptoms you might be having. For example, do you have issues running or installing other apps from the store (existing apps, by other people)? Any other general Windows issues, like parts of the system that aren't working right, or errors you get at start up.

24. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I can't see your images... maybe Google Drive or Imgur would be better? :D
    Oh yea, make sure in Unity that WSA build target is set to UWP, I forgot to say that one... :D
    And as for your warnings, that's actually normal, that's just NuGet complaining about so-called 'missing dependencies' (of which aren't missing at all on my system... the same should go for yours)

On second thought, did you turn off a few of the NuGet settings? I found building failed if I didn't have those enabled. o_O Basically, head to this screen below and make sure both are ticked:
    upload_2015-12-30_11-38-24.png
    Probably should update my 'essay' with this... :D The screens in tools > options > NuGet Package Manager

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  25. PedroDuran

PedroDuran

Hello people i don't have a microsoft developer account, but microsoft sent me a token to activate an developer account for the event, but when i try to register i get this error:

Unexpected error!
    The page you are trying to access isn't available right now. Please try again soon.
    Error correlation ID: 95b89bc1-56c4-42e7-8c49-9e006cfd70fe
    Error correlation vector: 9PXwrMPnjUK5pDIt.1
    App server: accounts

any help ?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  26. slaczky

slaczky

Can I export my game to wp8, or Im need to export to wp10? as I know wp8 apps works on wp10.

27. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

Hi all, we are planning on contributing with our titlel Midnight Delivery. However, I just registered that we intent on doing so, and got a confirmation mail that I soon will be recieving a unique token for a developer account from Microsoft. This were approx 10 hours ago. Should I try to resubmit or?

28. p0w1nd

p0w1nd

I registered about a week ago but haven't received any confirmation. I just wrote a mail to unitywin@microsoft.com to ask about it but still no news so far. Anyone like me?

29. SarperS

SarperS

It took 4-5 days for me to receive my promo code

p0w1nd and Freaking-Pingo like this.
  30. jaimermx

jaimermx

Official Microsoft Employee

PedroDev, is this still happening? If so, email unitywin@microsoft.com and ask for help or new token..

31. jaimermx

jaimermx

hi, you must export to Windows Store -> Windows 10 Universal...

slaczky likes this.
  32. SarperS

SarperS

@jaimermx any ETA on the porting guides? thanks

33. p0w1nd

p0w1nd

Woot. I just received my promo code. Ready! :)

Freaking-Pingo likes this.
  34. jaimermx

jaimermx

Hi Sarper, I have not heard about the timeline for porting guides..nor do I know who is writing them :(.
    Will ask on your behalf.. but to make sure you are not blocked feel free to ask your question here or in Unity's Windows forums and we can try to assist.. [if needs to be private, I can be reached at jaimer at microsoft dot com... happy to assist if I can]

35. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

I received my promocode yesterday, and received our developer account. Everything seems functional and ready to be developed.

36. meagan

meagan

Unity Technologies

You must publish your game to the Windows Store before you can submit to the contest, but you are free to submit to the App Store or Google Play, as well.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Freaking-Pingo likes this.
  37. Seguame

Seguame

Hi guys!

To be able to participate do I need to have Unity Pro? I'm using personal Edition and I don't see option to compile for Windows Store/Phone. Only Windows Store with text "No Windows Store Module Loaded"

unity.jpg

I'm using Windows 10 Pro and VS 2015.

Best regards.

38. SarperS

SarperS

You have to install the Windows Build modules (also the Windows Store scripting backend/s of your choice) from the Unity Download Assistant, you don't need a pro license for this feature or for the contest.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  39. SarperS

SarperS

So I'm getting the below exception, what should I do, change any ListDictionary usages with Unity's "System.Collections.Specialized.ListDictionary" within my C# scripts in the Unity Project? And what if any of the plugins I'm using are utilizing the default ListDictionary classes, do I have to simply not use those plugins? @meagan @Jo Ryall

View_Detail_2016-01-08_10-55-27.png

40. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

This is not related to ListDictionary usages. ListDictionary is just one field of the exception object.

Do you have a callstack for the exception? Is it a first-chance or an unhandled exception?

SarperS likes this.
  41. SarperS

SarperS

It's an unhandled exception that happens as soon as the app runs. Here is the stack trace of the exception;

Code (CSharp):
    1.    at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetWinRTFactoryObject(IntPtr pCPCMD)
    2.    at UnityPlayer.AppCallbacks..ctor()
    3.    at Defender_3D.App..ctor()
    4.    at Defender_3D.Program.<>c.<Main>b__0_0(ApplicationInitializationCallbackParams p)
    Here is a screenshot of the call stack
    Defender_3D_2016-01-08_11-16-01.png

And the exception pop-up
    Exception_Helper_Window_2016-01-08_11-15-03.png

And when I try to step into or continue debugging, this is what I get. Detaching the debugger or running a new instance of visual studio to continue debugging does not help, I get the same warning from the new instance also.
    Warning_2016-01-08_11-17-58.png

42. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What windows version are you on? And which Windows SKU?

43. SarperS

SarperS

Windows 10 Enterprise N x64 1511 Build 10586.36. I've also installed the "Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10".

44. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Did you install both x86 and x64 feature packs? You need the one that matches the architecture you're building your Unity game with.

45. SarperS

SarperS

Yes both x86 and x64 versions of the media feature pack is installed, trying to build the project with both targets fail the same way.

46. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We actually have a bug report on stuff not exactly working on Windows N versions.. we have a fix internally, and it's going to be released in the very next 5.3 patch release.

Until then the next best thing I can advice you to do is to either test on Windows 10 Non-N edition machine, or install it to a VM. Sorry.

SarperS likes this.
  47. SarperS

SarperS

Sure, I have a non N machine ready, I'll test it today and report my findings here.

48. SarperS

SarperS

@Tautvydas Zilys So turns out the Windows 10 November update messes up the media feature pack and I had to find the new version which is compatible with the new update. Installed it, restarted, made sure the feature pack runs fine (Checked if MTP works etc.)

Now I'm having a strange problem. Please check the below screenshots for the errors and warnings. This is a freshly Unity built project, didn't touch anything in Visual Studio but just opened the solution.

Edit: I've also found out that "Reference Manager" window is empty :/

Defender_3D_-_Microsoft_Visual_Studio_2016-01-08_16-55-36.png 2016-01-08_17-00-08.png

49. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Do the errors go away if you just build the project? It looks like intellisense is giving false positives. I'd look into the "Output" window instead, it will contain the real errors if there any any.

50. SarperS

SarperS

Build immediately fails with the below output. Please let me know if you would prefer to continue on private messages, I'm starting to feel like I'm spamming the contest thread.

2016-01-08_17-11-52.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.