Search Unity

Unity Game Developer Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Aurore, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deozaan

Deozaan

I got one saying:

Darkcoder likes this.
  2. AVOlight

AVOlight

I think your right, which is sad for me because i really did think i could grow organically on windows store...
    better get started on marketing, or do i just try to make a better game

bakanekofr likes this.
  3. Mintah

Mintah

4. AVOlight

AVOlight

Mintah likes this.
  5. Mintah

Mintah

@AVOlight Thanks! Cute game as well :)

I decided to go with pay (with trial) instead of free to play because:

I've developed many games on the Windows platform, since the unity Beta days on Windows Phone 8. My games sometimes have had downloads above the 100,000 mark... one even over 500,000. The very first few games I made I went down the paid route, which generated no sales because the games were simple endless games. I tried using Microsofts advertisement framework, which at the time made me a couple pennies of profit. Finally, Google came into the picture and released their admob framework. I integrated it into one of my games (Jolly Fish) that had an outstanding amount of downloads (over 500,000 downloads). I made about 1000$ of ads, however... if this had been on another platform the eCPM rates would have been 10x higher. After some time half-way into windows phone 8.1 I found that the admob ECPM rates were very low, and google wasn't offering much support for the new O.S updates. I released Ape of Steel (the original) onto windows 10 during the first Unity Windows developer contest. At the time it was for Windows 8, and so I initially made the game 100% free to help me get a better chance of winning the contest (hoping that popularity would help me). The game made the front page of the windows store, got about 70,000 downloads, and soon after I made it paid. After that, I saw a more consistent pattern of paid downloads; I was making about 60$ - 80$ for about a year. I also made a few games that had in-app purchases, and those generated about 2 - 5 in app purchases per month.

Okay so, why did I go paid this time? Well, based on the past I wrote above, I felt like this time I have a whole Audience of gamers who played Ape of Steel 1, and will want to see how the game improves in Ape of Steel 2. They get a 1 trial to give it a shot and hopefully they get attached to make a purchase. Ape of Steel 2 is a game that I worked on over the span of 2 years, and I don't want the game to be spammy and full of free to play junk. As well, AdMob doesn't support windows 10 AND, I tried Microsofts new advertisement framework in my other game Log Hopper, and it has really low rates.

AVOlight likes this.
  6. Rickywild

Rickywild

Has anybody had any issues with audio in there game? All sounds & music were working fine before and after I uploaded. Days after being on the store, there were no problems. Checked in today to play my game and I've noticed all audio is muted now. No sound what so ever. Strange.

7. AVOlight

AVOlight

@Mintah Thank you :) for the detailed answer !

this is my first game, and its very simple and endless, i've got a lot to do and a lot to learn
    Thanks again

@WildLogicGames Don't have sound in my game yet but, had an issue with in-app purchases that stopped working on the same build that was working, (several hours later) turned out to be an issue with my windows computer itself

Mintah likes this.
  8. Rickywild

Rickywild

@AVOlight Hmm ok. There aren't any issues with sound on my computer. The build works as intended on my pc, audio is working fine. It was working in store. Maybe the Microsoft team have disabled the audio because it's causing issues with some users? I dunno I've had 1 reported hang out of all users. It definitely had audio before and upon entering the competition.

Orrrr maybe the music is so terrible they did me a favor and disabled it haha

9. AVOlight

AVOlight

Rickywild likes this.
  10. Rickywild

Rickywild

@AVOlight thanks! I tried reporting the problem then got a - There was a problem processing this request. Please try again after a few minutes message lol. Whilst i'm here, i'm interested to hear what you think to the below screenshot? Where I've circled, do you think the shadow of the cloud could get away with not casting properly over the land? Or should it be a detail that isn't over looked.

11. AVOlight

AVOlight

@WildLogicGames yea that error message is an issue in some of the support categories, i tried selecting some other ones and it worked, also i was using the new edge browser (Firefox doesn't seem to show the dashboard correctly)

depends on the time it takes to solve it and the value you would otherwise get on other areas like sound, or adding content etc..., it doesn't look like it would be easy to solve

by the way would you be alright sharing how many downloads it took for your game to show up in its category in the store?

12. Rickywild

Rickywild

@AVOlight Right well i think i may just hover them over sea, or land without edges ect. Probably take too much time for such a minor detail i reckon.Yeah sure it's currently had 44 downloads. Advertisement is the bane of all indie developers!

AVOlight likes this.
  13. AVOlight

AVOlight

14. Rickywild

Rickywild

@AVOlight you just need to advertise, you'll get more in time. This game is on steam greenlight, it's on twitter i post where ever i can really. Quite a lot actually and it's only got 44 so probably doing quite bad considering.

AVOlight likes this.
  15. hjupter

hjupter

16. noob101

noob101

17. AVOlight

AVOlight

thats something to :) about
    IAP is hard

@hjupter the anime style looks great!
    Ads are hard, (personally i've got no experience with Ads) @Mintah mentions his experience above

18. Deozaan

Deozaan

Nice!

I'm not sure if I understand the Microsoft Dev Center statistics properly, but if so, then it looks like mine has only 10 downloads so far.

And two of those were myself. . .

19. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

I hope popularity is not taken into account for the contest :)

I've released Super Night Riders on Steam 3 days ago, and so far it sold around 50x times more than on the Windows Store in one month o_O

I think that there is a serious visibility problem on the Windows Store, especially if your game is premium only like mine (so you have almost no chance to appear in the new and rising category as you compete with free games on the install count), and not featured by the store's staff.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Rickywild likes this.
  20. noob101

noob101

The fun part is that 1 IAP turned out to be my testing voucher but was delayed to show up. so zero money so far because there is no decent ad solution. I think its time we considered other platforms

21. noob101

noob101

I guess not many people are browsing the games anyway in windows 10. Could you please elaborate on your experience with publishing for steam ? what needs to be done in few steps and how many changes did you have to do to get it there

22. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

The only requirement (and challenge) on Steam is to be Greenlit. I've started my Greenlight campaign on September - one month after I started working on the game, and got Greenlit 4 months later. So, unless you're making a super popular game, you should plan for Steam many months before completing your game (I've completed my game on the end of January).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  23. Deozaan

Deozaan

And if you're having trouble getting votes for your game on Greenlight, this may help:

In my observation, games are often Greenlit shortly after being a part of a bundle or sale (on eg., IndieGameStand). Lots of people pick it up at a cheap price, then give it a vote on Greenlight so they can get a Steam key, too.

24. noob101

noob101

I just passed the 1000 downloads today but still 0 $ because there is no ads and IAP

@Mintah can I make the game paid after it was already published as free ?

Also has anyone successfully integrated Vungle with windows 10 ?

25. Nihil688

Nihil688

26. noob101

noob101

27. Nihil688

Nihil688

Not really no but it's a soft release we're not expecting anything to happen at the moment, we released it now for the competition but we have loads of features to add to it and we keep updating it weekly

28. Mintah

Mintah

Yes of course! Just make a new submission and you should be good to go :) ...

On Another note, the Unity website it says "You will be contacted if you are a winner on or around February 26th and you will have 5 business days to respond to claim the prize." I haven't been contacted so I guess I didn't win... This whole contest was a great lesson for me; these contests are a waste of time if you're an individual trying to put something up in a short amount of time. I'm sure the winning games are going to be (as usual) games produced by real game-studios who don't juggle full-time work and have a dedicated team. I have no problems with Microsoft themselves, but I guess i'm just dreading all the time I put into rushing to finish the game for the contest and putting up with so many issues during the porting process. Boo hoo okay i'll stop qqing :(

29. noob101

noob101

Thanks for info. The contest showed me that I can at least produce something. I think the whole windows platform is not a good choice at all for games development.

I am thinking I should just try Apply because thats where the money and rich players ?!

Also the unity website says
    "
    Contest winners will be announced on or around March 30th, 2016.
    Winners will be contacted directly with details on how to collect their prizes.
    "

30. Rickywild

Rickywild

Potential winners will be notified by email on or around 4 March 2016. The winners would have been contacted, or will be soonish.

Mintah likes this.
  31. Mintah

Mintah

Well yes, the winners will be announced to the public on March 30th, however on the contest page (near the bottom) there's a section that's titled "How will I know if I am a winner?". There it lists an estimated date when the winners themselves will be notified. I am guessing this will give them time to prepare and make final adjustments to their app.

32. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

looks like we lost.. xD

Rickywild and Mintah like this.
  33. AVOlight

AVOlight

think i've been in a bit of a development bubble,
    i really did think i had a shot at a pro license,
    someone from India just took the time to give my game a 1 star rating :(

Rickywild and Mintah like this.
  34. SarperS

SarperS

Did anyone in this thread receive an e-mail because they've won something? Just wanna make sure whether I didn't get something or the contest is still on.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  35. noob101

noob101

I would assume that there will be some some sort of NDA or they will only contact the top winner . If they send emails to everyone who one whats the point of delaying the results till 30 march.

36. SarperS

SarperS

There is a delay because they need marketing materials like gameplay videos to produce a contest reel. That's also why the winners are contacted beforehand. Why would there be an NDA?

37. TadeuszSynZygmunta

TadeuszSynZygmunta

Hi, I just found an email in my mail box that I won honorable mention, but email is from email address ...@HelloWorld.com so I'm confused is that real information or fake. That email shouldnt go to me from unity or microsoft email? Someone could confirm this is not fake?

38. Grinchi

Grinchi

Same here.

39. Nihil688

Nihil688

40. Grinchi

Grinchi

Plus we have slight problem. We submitted 2 titles. We have no idea which one got to finals...

41. Nihil688

Nihil688

Well which ones? Do share do share

42. Grinchi

Grinchi

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Rickywild likes this.
  43. Nihil688

Nihil688

Both look really good! Well done!

44. Rickywild

Rickywild

It probably isn't fake, it has © 2015 HelloWorld, Inc. All rights reserved. at the bottom of the t&c page https://unity3d.com/contest/windows/terms. Congats on the honorable mention!

45. SarperS

SarperS

Guess that means I didn't win anything. Congrats to the winners!

46. JoceMas

JoceMas

what we can do if we want to continue making games is to use Unreal Engine or Amazon Lumberyard and try to make a good game, and then publish it on steam! xo

47. Zed-321

Zed-321

Hi.
    I received email which says that I have to send a Declaration of Compliance by fax.
    Can someone tell me how I need to dial the fax number if am not in the US.
    Is it possible to send a scanned document via email?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  48. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Fax? What year is it? I'll ask around who through this was a good idea and whether there are alternatives.

Nihil688 likes this.
  49. ayrton2389

ayrton2389

It would be really helpful if we could send a scanned document via e-mail. No idea where i could get a fax machine around here...
    Please let us know if there are alternatives.

50. SarperS

SarperS

Is it possible for them to contact the entrants who didn't get anything? Also contact through other means. It would be a shame if the emails go to a spam folder and people get disqualified somehow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.