Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Game Developer Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Aurore, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVOlight

AVOlight

@mechangel forgot about this, when you Create App Packages

on the "Select and Configure Packages" step

Make sure "Generate app bundle:" is set to Never

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I don't think I touched that setting when I built mine, and it built fine... :D

3. mechangel

mechangel

@AVOlight @FuzzyQuills OH I hope that works, I had mine checked to "Always" which is what the silly microsoft documentation said to do. There is a lot of conflicting info re: build settings between the tools themselves and the step by step on the official page. I got stuck on the Badge logo error for hours last night, took me a while to realize the whole image and not just the border had to be White and Transparent (instead of black and white... which mine was). Here are my steps: Build from Unity: step01.PNG Unity output, open solution: step02PNG.PNG make cert so it doesn't complain: step03.PNG create app packages: step04.PNG I"ll post an edit to the bottom of here with results after changing "always" to "never" on appbundle setting.

Edit: Didn't get an appxupload, still from that workflow! Grr! output.PNG

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  4. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

You do realise you don't have to modify the appxmanifest for that? :D
    All you do is go to unity player settings > Windows store > publishing settings > certificate, then click "Create..."
    Put in your company/publisher name, then click create.

Next time you build it, unless you need to, don't edit the appxmanifest, do a straight build/deploy/createAppPackages, it should work.

5. mechangel

mechangel

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll try that next. I feel badly for taking over the thread but I'm sure it will help someone ,someday to learn from my Windows 10 pains.

6. AVOlight

AVOlight

@mechangel looks like it did work, you've got an appx now which you can upload, usually the appxupload is in the parent directory of those files

7. jaimermx

jaimermx

Official Microsoft Employee

Folks, I am told that Unity meant to not email those that had submitted, but the list is large, so it could be that they made a mistake (or two).. or it could be that you submitted after their list of who to email was compiled.
    If you need to check if your submission went through, you can email v-chasle at microsoft.com with your name and submission email and Chris can confirm if you are good. if he does not respond, ping jaimer at microsoft and I will poke him. For the most part, we believe if you know that you submitted, you will be fine.. Good luck..

8. jaimermx

jaimermx

As for mine, I'm willing to bet that Microsoft's going to go and pull out the game from the server out the back for judging. :p Joking aside... having a paid app there shouldn't be a problem for them. :)[/QUOTE]

Hi, paid apps are OK. The judges will have vouchers for paid apps.. There will be no "back-end pulling" so please don't be smart and submit a $10K app... as then you do risk it not being judged.. Price it and submit it as you want it to be in the store.

Good luck!

9. mechangel

mechangel

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to upload the 3 appx, it still wants an appxupload which VS refuses to generate for me. Same error I got with the bundle.
    "Package acceptance validation error: You cannot submit pre-compiled .NET Native packages. Please upload the Store appxupload file and try again."
    I'm installing VS2015 on another machine, maybe this one just has gremlins??
    @jaimermx do you happen to know how I might be able to get Visual Studio support? I have followed all directions to the letter, reinstalled latest VS2015, but for some reason I am still unable to get an "appxupload" file in my output folder which is preventing me from submitting.

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I'm sure UT don't mind. :) It's basically the topic here anyway. And as AVOLight said, the parent directory of the one you're looking in will have the .appxupload. :)

Lol, had no intention to. ;) (Who'd pay 10K for a game anyway?) Good idea to use vouchers, it's probably better that way anyway for security reasons. :) And for the record, I'm charging 10,000/10,000. :p (aka. $0.99)

11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

From seeing one of your other posts, you might be looking in the wrong folder for it... :D Did you try looking directly in AppPackages? that's usually where it is, not in the subdirectory with the package name on it.

EDIT: Hang on, it GAVE AN ERROR on "Can't use pre-compiled NET Native?" that's a bit misleading for Microsoft to say you can only use NET native if it's only going to distribute IL anyway. Well, unless it's like some sort of low-level Java or something... :D

12. mechangel

mechangel

I'm not sure what the issue with the .net stuff is, we are supposed to use .NET and not IL as far as I know
    I wish it were that simple! There's nothing but the subdirectory folders! I even did a deep search of all files on the hard drive and no match can be found, I was worried it might be "hidden" but I made sure I was showing hidden files in the view settings of the file explorer.

13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

@mechangel I just looked how MSBuild builds the appxupload packages on my machine, and I think I might have a workaround for you. Now, I don't really know if this will work, but it's definitely worth a shot.

It seems that .appxupload file is just a normal ZIP file without any compression. Therefore, you should be able to create it manually with something like 7-zip (it should allow you to select no compression). So, you'd want to zip up all ".appxbundle" and ".appxsym" files into ".appxupload" file which has a name identical to your ".appxbundle". If you took items from this screen, your .appxupload file will contain 4 items:

14. AVOlight

AVOlight

@mechangel sorry i really thought the appx would be ok to upload

@jaimermx Hey, thank you for addressing the concerns about the submission emails, :) , do you know if the submissions before the deadline will be saved separately so we can continue to patch our games after the deadline

15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Patching after the deadline... is that even allowed? :D

16. mechangel

mechangel

Thank you for the suggestion, it took a long time to upload the file after I created the archive as you instructed, but I still got the same error ""Package acceptance validation error: You cannot submit pre-compiled .NET Native packages. Please upload the Store appxupload file and try again." The archive I created from the appxsys and appx in my non-bundle output resulted in "
    Cardboard Chthulhu_1.1.2.0_x86_Master_Test.appxupload82.6 MB
    Package acceptance validation error: The file '5dfc1318-21fa-44ae-a52d-566d4ed5db02' contains 47 files. Make sure it contains fewer than 16 files and then try again."
    upload_2016-2-4_0-18-53.png

17. AVOlight

AVOlight

Hoping that they have something in place for this

18. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

@mechangel that error happens if you create an AppX package and tell it that you are not creating it for the upload to the store. You must select "Yes" here:

upload_2016-2-4_10-54-41.png

19. jaimermx

jaimermx

[sorry, my post was cut.. trying again.. ]

Hi @mechangel..
    Sorry to hear this has been troublesome. I just read all the advise/answers you have been given and they are right on.. So apologies if this is a dupe recap, but it would help me to get us into a path...
    1) I don't quite follow what you are seeing with regards to errors.. Am I understanding correctly that you are Properly building a package, but with "generate bundle" = "Never" you still get a bundle?
    2) If you go into Project -> <your Project> Properties menu item.. and you click on build tab.. what do you get for build options.. Do you see "Compile with .NET native tool chain" underneath platform target? is that option checked? It should be for master configuration.
    3) is you app associated with the store.. Did you create association and reserve name?
    For this you must have a package.storeassociation.xml file in your folder.. do you have that?

3) I am not following the screenshot above where you were trying to zip manually.. The folder seems to have a .appxupload file, which is what you need... Am I misinterpreting what you have? was that the output of you zipping it?

If none of the above helps, please try this:
    Go into Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions... then do Build and run.. and select the "output verbosity" and log verbosity to "Diagnostic" and then send me the output logs to jaimer at microsoft.. I can see if we can connect you to an MSBuild expert..
    This does not solve your issue, but here is explanation for those that care..
    .appxupload includes appxs that contain MSIL binaries.. these get compiled in the store into .NET native binaries (when your game is downlowded)..
    The .appx file (usually in a folder called _Test is already .NET native binaries designed for side loading/testing.. that is why store is rejecting it.

I can look further this morning PST..

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Huh... how come then you need to tick "Compile with .NET native toolchain?" How does it work in that case?

21. mechangel

mechangel

Firstly, I appreciate greatly the assistance.
    1) With "Never" I do not get a file called appxbundle with all 3 targets, I get 3 folders with an appxsys and appx for each of the 3. (No appxuploads =( The one in the screenshot was one I manually changed per advice after 7zipping the other 4 files)

2) As you'll see in the attached picture, this part checks out with the toolchain

3) also in the picture, if I associate the app with the store, I am NOT seeing the package.storeassociation.xml in the solution explorer, projectname_StoreKey.pfx is the only file that comes up when I search "store" in my solution

The screenshot question, yeah I made that myself with 7zip and tried to upload it, but got errors when I tried to submit it to the dev portal.

Could the missing package.storeassociation.xml be my problem, and if so, I am not sure how to proceed as you'll see in the screenshot I have a proper name reserved on the dev portal. buildprefs.PNG Edit: I think that might be the problem, when I go to create the package (see attached image) the package info is null, which makes sense if my association is silently failing for some reason.
    buildprefs.PNG packagedia.PNG

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  22. ErgoMeSmart

ErgoMeSmart

Does anyone have any experience with built games crashing upon start-up? I've managed to build a store-ready version of my game, which also according to Visual Studio passes certification fine, but whenever I've attempted to test it on Windows 10 or Windows Mobile 10, the application shows the splash screen and then crashes.

It doesn't do this in the Windows 8.1 versions or any other platform, so is there something I should be keeping in mind to fix this issue on Windows 10?

23. GARA

GARA

I used Windows App Certification Kit and in this part it says that I Passed Direct3D feature level support, but Failed the Direct3D trim after suspend. I don't know how to solve this.
    Please help.

Direct3D Feature Test
    PASSED
    Direct3D feature level support
    FAILED
    Direct3D trim after suspend
    • Error Found: The Direct3D Trim after Suspend test detected the following errors:
      • StartTrace failed with error 5.
      • Starting ETW trace failed with error 0x80070005.
    • Impact if not fixed: If the app does not call Trim on its Direct3D device, the app will not release memory allocated for its earlier 3D work. This increases the risk of apps being terminated due to system memory pressure.
    • How to fix: The app should call the Trim API on its IDXGIDevice3 interface anytime it is about to be suspended.

24. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Run it again. Looks like something wrong went with the test - it failed to start.

25. GARA

GARA

Thanks for the help Tautvydas Zilys. I did the rerun and it Passed.
    What might have caused it to fail to start?

26. mechangel

mechangel

@jaimermx @FuzzyQuills @Tautvydas Zilys @AVOlight I got the appxupload files to generate for me after installing VS2015 on my windows 8.1 testing machine!! Right in the folder we were expecting them to be in.
    It was definitely (I think) the associating the app step I was hung up on. On this machine, I saw the package.storeassociation.xml pop into my solution explorer immediately.
    I don't know if it was the hardware or the OS that made a difference.
    I guess I was meant to give up for the night last night as when I finished my installation - Visual Studio was suffering an outage. The service was back up this morning, and now it works so I'm not sure if Microsoft fixed a bug on their end or if it's all just gremlins in my Win 10 machine.

27. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

All the best for your entry then, glad to hear it's solved. :)

28. SarperS

SarperS

My project fails on both tests. Runs just fine in my Windows 10 device and the phone emulator. Ran the tests at least 5 times and built the project from Unity a couple times also. Any ideas?

Capture.JPG

29. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What's your graphics card and driver version?

30. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ouch... that definitely looks like a crash. Like @Tautvydas Zilys said, information on your system configuration would be good. Is there also a chance you were doing something else during the tests?

31. AlexRibeiro

AlexRibeiro

errorW10.jpg

Well... I'm about to quit :(
    3 long days trying to figure out what is wrong...
    I simply can't build to "universal 10", i got this "not found" error.

-Blank test project with a quad and a cube
    -Unity 5.3.2p2 (Have tried 5.3.2 and 5.3.0f4)
    -Visual Studio Community 2015 Update1 (installed on C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0)
    -SDK for Windows 10.0.10586.0
    -In Unity>Help> about Unity> I'm seeing the message "Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Unity 2.2.0.0 enabled"
    -Windows 10 OS

I have installed, reinstalled and repaired VS Studio many, many times, same with Unity... My last guess is to format the PC but I have to much stuff to backup.

Anyone can help? Any tip? Something in Windows Registry maybe?
    Thanks,

32. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Try not to build & run... unless that's popping up with normal build... :D

33. AlexRibeiro

AlexRibeiro

Yes... I'm not trying to build & run... only build :(

34. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Damn... I thought of something though; try removing Unity VS tools and reinstalling them. (Or remove them, see if the game detects visual studio, then re-install them if that doesn't work)

35. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Does this file exist on your machine?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\UnionMetadata\Facade\Windows.WinMD"

36. AlexRibeiro

AlexRibeiro

Yes, but no "Facade" folder... I have exactly this:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\UnionMetadata\Windows.winmd"

(Update: Tried to place the files exactly in the same path that you past here but nothing... same error)

37. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You're definitely missing something from the SDK. Are you able to create/build/run Windows 10 C# and C++ projects from Visual Studio?

38. AlexRibeiro

AlexRibeiro

Wow!! Just installed the Windows 10 SDK, restarted the PC and..... nothing.... same error when I try to build on Unity...
    I'm missing something in the VS Components?
    And I will try to build something directly from Visual Studio (I'm not familiar with VS, but.. . I will try)

Attached Files:

39. Nihil688

Nihil688

Is anyone having trouble with render texture on Windows 10? It seems like it just doesn't work on Windows Phones

40. AlexRibeiro

AlexRibeiro

Yes, I managed to build a universal Windows 10 small test app direct on Visual Studio, compile and Run on my Lumia with sucess! I'm a little lost now... maybe the only option is format the PC and reinstall everything...

41. SarperS

SarperS

It's a GeForce GTX 970 and the driver version is 361.75

42. mechangel

mechangel

In short, yes you are missing components. I have had this happen a few times, go to your Programs - in the place where it has (or used to have ) add or remove programs, manage programs, etc. Right click on Visual Studio and select "manage or modify" I think it is. From there, either repair or modify your VS 2015 by letting it install whatever it is suggesting or everything, just to be sure. For me last time it was crossplatform stuff I had initially thought I didn't need. It should work after that!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  43. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

RenderTextures should work just fine, is there anything specific that's not working?

44. Nihil688

Nihil688

Well I'm attaching a render texture to a raw image so that it shows in my UI, it works on all devices other than windows phones. I've tried changing the Z position, the depth of the camera but whatever I do it's as if it's not rendering at all.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  45. SarperS

SarperS

Well I've submitted my game yesterday even though WACK failed with the previously mentioned problems. If it fails certification there won't be any time left to fix and re-submit stuff. So in any case, good luck everyone.

46. Rickywild

Rickywild

You could get it fixed over the weekend, sometimes it passes certification really quick. I've had it pass and up on the store in less than a day- these are updates to submission though. I'm trying to squeeze a tutorial into my submission before the end of today. Fingers crossed it's in there before Monday or Tues.

47. SarperS

SarperS

Well I don't know why it fails at "Direct3D feature level support test". This game even runs on low-end GLES 2.0 android devices. It also runs on my Windows 10 installation and in the emulators. But WACK fails somehow. So I don't know how to fix it.

The game is in the certification phase right now and the Microsoft developer dashboard says "Certification will take a few days for this submission." So don't have many options here :D

48. SarperS

SarperS

If I install the game and run WACK on the installed version, the tests pass. If I run it on the built appxpackage as a part of the "Create App Packages" process it fails even though it runs and plays perfectly fine. I'm really having a hard time understanding this.

49. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Hm... do you possibly have an anti-virus product that could interfere with it? I had issues once with Bitdefender flagging build files as some generic Trojan... :D (And the package build failed as a result)

50. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Same here; every update I've put through does it in 20 minutes. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.