Search Unity

Unity Game Developer Contest 2016 .... really?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eths, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eths

Eths

So me and my team has been planning to join this Unity Contest, we setup everything ... so we decided to check the rules and we found that we should be at least 18 years old... well all of our team members are under 18 years old so we can't join? you guys should be supporting young developers more than that, I have been working in gaming industry for more than 6 years and I am still 15 and I think that I am capable to do anything that 18 years old guy can do, I am just... dispointed, unless you have a reason for that.

Because of that age limit, I can't join the contest and I am missing myself a chance to win the Cash or the pro license.

2. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

Hmm kids aren't mature enough to handle $ 5K. And if you are just doing it for money/pro.........

But I too agree there should be no age limit :(

theANMATOR2b and Eths like this.
  3. Eths

Eths

Well I think there is no "Kid " and adult thing in money/contest stuff, I myself is handelling everything related to my team, Including Money/Leading Etc :/

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Then be an adult and accept that there are some things you can't do until you're older, like drive a car.

5. Eths

Eths

It's true that there are some things I can't do until I get older, but what I know that I can program correctly like any other adult, and doing an age limit is not neccessary.

6. Eths

Eths

what I can do is *

7. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

Don't underestimate us :mad::mad:

Eths likes this.
  8. Eths

Eths

this ^ ..

9. Schneider21

Schneider21

Many territories place legal restrictions on contests/giveaways to limit their use in marketing towards children. Regardless of your maturity level or your programming ability, you are still legally considered a child by the state. It's not a choice by Unity to keep the kids out, but rather a legal requirement to be able to offer the contest in the first place.

10. Eths

Eths

Well, there are many contests like Global game jam that doesn't have any Age limit, so I don't think that it's a law problem, also I am not doing anything wrong or something that my parents doesn't know about.

11. Eths

Eths

If I have my parent agreement, then why not?

12. Code to Reality Studios

Code to Reality Studios

I myself am 15 (almost 16) and I program better than people in their thirties. I have even written a program for a medical company that is used in hospitals around the world. I believe they should allow us into their contest. In this day and age, age does not matter at all because most teenagers or children know more than their parents. :)

Eths likes this.
  13. Eths

Eths

Exactly my point! we deserve to join this contest and to have our shot. even if we are not going to win

14. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

It would even give us a great experience so we can win in future!

Eths likes this.
  15. Eths

Eths

true, good to know that there are some people with me in this :D

16. Schneider21

Schneider21

I misspoke slightly. It's not that they can't open the contest to minors, it's that doing so places additional legal restrictions and compliance steps upon them.

:rolleyes:

Don't mistake your personal liberties for entitlement. You're owed nothing, just like everyone else.

You're simply not eligible for this contest. It's not a huge deal. Continue about your business creating games or making hospital software, or whatever's gotten you to this point of career excellence you've apparently already achieved. In a couple years, you'll be able to enter contests like this.

If I were a mature young person, I would follow the rules of the contest and create my own entry and just show it off to the community regardless of the potential for me winning the prize, and find enjoyment and gratification in knowing my own talent, rather than requiring it to be confirmed from exterior sources.

17. Eths

Eths

Alright :(

18. Schneider21

Schneider21

Chin up! You're already ahead of the game by having a technical skill proficiency at a young age. I didn't learn how to really program until I was 25. Continue learning and building things, and by the time you're 18, you won't even remember this contest existed. And by the time you're 25, you'll have enough expendable cash to buy 10 Pro licenses yourself.

19. Code to Reality Studios

Code to Reality Studios

Well, we can money in other ways. :)

Eths likes this.
  20. Code to Reality Studios

Code to Reality Studios

I have been programming since I was 9... lol

21. Eths

Eths

true :D Thanks Schneider :D

same :p

22. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

I lost :( (from 11)

Eths likes this.
  23. Eths

Eths

XD XD it's not with the years :D it's with the experience

zombiegorilla likes this.
  24. Schneider21

Schneider21

While it's great that you're all learning early and everything, it's also not a terrible idea to not bring it up all the time.

Often, I see people who have been doing something (anything) from a young age use that fact as an assumption of a level of expertise in that subject. While it's true to a point, just doing something longer than someone else has been doing it doesn't necessarily mean you're any better at it, know what I mean?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't (now or ever) feel like you've learned everything. There's always something to be learned, even from those who know less than you.

25. Eths

Eths

Totally agree!

26. TwiiK

TwiiK

Go outside and play or something. Let us have the money. We need it for our expensive habits like drugs, alcohol and Unity Pro subscriptions.

What contest are you talking about exactly? A quick Google search only returned this one: http://unity3d.com/contest/windows

Windows Store? You're better off without the contest imo. :D

theANMATOR2b and Eths like this.
  27. Eths

Eths

yes that's the one I am talking about :p I don't want to go outside :/ I am better here at home programming :D :D

28. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

So you want us to stop developing so you can easily buy drugs?....
    I know it is not good but I haven't played any outdoor game for 4-5 months :p

Eths likes this.
  29. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Life is hard. Your objections to a simple age restriction shows a lack of understanding. People under 18 have special legal protections and restrictions, nobody wants to deal with that noise. You being 16 and complaining about it is no different than a 5 year old saying the same thing. You'll get it when you're older, for now just do what everyone else does... wait.

theANMATOR2b and LaneFox like this.
  30. Martin_H

Martin_H

Some certainly think they do!

zombiegorilla likes this.
  31. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

well, if you grow up and go read the post's, you will realise you can get your parents to submit your game.

AndrewGrayGames and Kiwasi like this.
  32. neginfinity

neginfinity

You're saying you started working when you were 9 years old.

Where I live, (legally) employing people in in 14..18 range has restrictions, and anyone younger than 14 has VERY heavy restrictions on being employed anywhere (except movies/theater kind of thing).

Yeah, I can remember myself at 14. You sorta think that you have everything figured out, fast forward few years, look back. and you usually realize that you only pretty much knew the alphabet back then.

Most likely contest has age limits due to some legal issue, related to handling of finances or somethingl ike that.

Get yourself temporary 18 y/o member and let him handle contest. Or something. There's parents, relatives and older brothers.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  33. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Come back in 3 years and you'll be even more experienced and maybe win top prize. I don't know about the rest of the world but here in the USA anyway age is used as a barrier for a lot of things. 18 is when you are a legal adult capable of making your own decisions and fully responsible for your own actions (well not really but that was the idea at one time anyway). That may have something to do with the age limit here. Not sure.

Eths likes this.
  34. Code to Reality Studios

Code to Reality Studios

I don't think. I know. I definitely know more than them. I cannot stand to be around young people and I get along with older people faster than with immature teens. :)

35. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Apparently not. When I was a kid we simply asked our parents to submit to a competition we did not qualify for.

(It's also true that teenagers have been making the claim of being smarter then their parents for thousands of years.)

36. goat

goat

If the OP had read the thread about the contest you'd of seen that a rep of Unity Tech said children can enter if their parents submit the entry for them.

Any business should be cautious of creating products or activities that can be seen as taking advantage of those that are legally protected as not able to give legal consent.

And Unity Technology aren't your parents and aren't a member of your social clique for all the good you think your complaining will do.

tedthebug and Kiwasi like this.
  37. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

LOL. kids/teens dont know more than their parents. They just think they do because they're so ignorant/un-experienced in life. I would know, I've been there, but you wont understand that until you get older.

38. neginfinity

neginfinity

I thought that was sarcasm. Now that I reread that part, I am starting to think it was supposed to be serious statement.

39. goat

goat

My parents are very upset because they aren't targeted by drug dealers, rap musicians, or creating violent, gore filled games and the like. It must be because they're not as intelligent as those kids.

Oh, boy.

40. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

Overconfidence is all well and good until it kicks your ass one day.

And trust me, it will.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  41. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Haha, hard to know with kids these days. Based on experience, its an opinion they often have though.

42. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

Didn't we all have that opinion at some stage?

I certainly did, and I got my ass kicked for it.

theANMATOR2b and Kiwasi like this.
  43. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

quoting myself in reply ;)

I even know the rough age barriers for it...

13-25, you know everything, the world revolves around you
    25-30, you realise you dont know everything, and start listening to others with experience (you grow up)

theANMATOR2b and JohnnyA like this.
  44. Martin_H

Martin_H

30-99, bitter old man ;)

45. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

haha... thats why I left that age bracket out ;)

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  46. Prototypetheta

Prototypetheta

99+, probably a wizard.

47. goat

goat

LOL, I remember when I was 19 about to turn 20 thinking, "Oh! I'm going to be old now", but then I realized the sum is greater than it's parts.

48. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

probably a wizard that craps his pants daily

#thingsoldpeopledo

Deleted User likes this.
  49. Eths

Eths

I am not complaining, you totally misunderstood the objective of this topic, I just wanted to know WHY we are not allowed and that's it.

I didn't think of that :p
    Still, I am not complaining lol

not all kids/teens know more than their parents, even if they do then still their parents knows more in some other stuff.

I see

It wasn't about the money ;)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Martin_H and Kiwasi like this.
  50. ippdev

ippdev

Have your parent enter and present your work.

Martin_H and Eths like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.