Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity frequently hitting TDR error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Thedo666, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Thedo666

Thedo666

I’ve googled and this seems to be a problem that has been around since around 2018. The problem I have is that I seem to get this *all the time* on incredibly simple scenes - think a plane and nothing else in a default 3d project. Simplifying the scene isn’t much of a option.

I have a ryzen 5950x, RTX 3080 and 128gb of Ram. So I *should* be able to render a single quad without a timeout - I think.

I don’t have any other apps open and I don’t get this on anything but the unity editor.

all the advice I’ve seen is either

1 simplify the scene
    2 update drivers
    3 update unity
    4 increase TDR timeout in registry (this just makes unity freeze longer before crashing)

I’ve tried all those to no avail. Unity devs seem to suggest it’s not a unity issue as they dont control TDR, but as said - this only happens in Unity.

is there a magic article I’ve missed after weeks of searching? Or any tips/tricks to aid in 2021?

My 5 year old surface book doesn’t have any of these issues (also with same nvidia drivers) but is far too slow for Unity dev these days…..

2. Thedo666

Thedo666

Also worth noting that once this has happened, Unity (and only Unity) performance takes a complete nosedive and requires a Pc restart