Search Unity

Unity freezes whenever I try to import anything with sound

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by BLucky_VRC, Feb 11, 2020.

1. BLucky_VRC

BLucky_VRC

Whenever I import any package that has sound files the import process freezes at the audio file. The longest I have waited for a simple "ow" sound before aborting was 20 minutes. I'm on Mac OS Catalina, Unity version 2017.4.28f1 LTS.

IMC-Lab likes this.
  2. Gazcraft

Gazcraft

I've just tried opening a project that was working earlier today after a git pull and I'm getting the exact same issue.
    Mac OS Catalina.
    Unity Version 2017.3.0f3

IMC-Lab likes this.
  3. Filipo6

Filipo6

Any updates on this? I cant drop sounds into the editor ( Version 2018.2.18 ) and I cant even open a project with sounds already imported in git repo by a friend of mine...Catalina issue....:(

4. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Filipo6, could you provide the exact steps to reproduce? We might need to file a bug but I'd like to verify this is indeed a Package Manager issue. It sounds like there are 2 scenarios:
    1. Git dependency where the repo contains audio files
      • What format are the audio files? Roughly what size?
      • Which folder are they under in the project?
      • Are they imported into Unity as an AudioClip asset?
    2. Dragging the audio file into the editor
      • Which folder to you drop the file into?
    Thanks in advance!

5. Filipo6

Filipo6

@samuelb_unity hey, I fixed the issue by updating the project to the latest Unity version.

The format of the files was .wav or .ogg, file sizes are very small, few kilobytes, they were imported to Unity by drag and drop into Assets/Audio folder! On each import unity would crash and I would have to reboot my macbook in order to re-run unity. Then my friend imported same files from his Windows 10 machine and I pulled the repo, I was . then not able to open the unity project at all, because it would crash on "importing files" once I opened unity

IMC-Lab likes this.
  6. Filipo6

Filipo6

@samuelb_unity Hey there, unfortunately I'm experiencing this issue again:

I've downloaded an older version of unity ( 2017.3 ) in order to use "standard asset" package and play around. It won't import, Unity crashes.

Import of the standard asset package worked on the latest Unity version but there were compile errors.

It seems like Catalina only works with the latest Unity version.

IMC-Lab likes this.
  7. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

In that case I'm afraid this doesn't sound like a Package Manager specific issue. Could you try asking in the Audio & Video area of the forums? https://forum.unity.com/forums/audio-video.74/

Thanks! And sorry I couldn't be of more help

8. Filipo6

Filipo6

9. Shawn_Flanagan

Shawn_Flanagan

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but for the sake of anyone else Googling this problem, I wanted to post the correct answer here.

The issue is not specific to package manager. The issue is related to older versions of the Unity macOS editor having some 32-bit importer processes (including the audio importer).

You can check out this post for a list of which versions of the Unity macOS editor are compatible with Catalina::https://forum.unity.com/threads/installing-unity-on-macos-catalina.689089/#post-4685435. I will also post the text here:

Note that 2017.3 is not supported at all; if you need to stick with the 2017 editor while running on Catalina, you will need to upgrade the editor to 2017.4.32 or above.

lauraaa, sacher, p0w1nd and 1 other person like this.
  10. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

sacher likes this.
  11. burakofficial

burakofficial

Thanks a lot for comment guys but it's not a solution for all of us. I'm using front camera with Vuforia and the latest Unity version supports that (2018.2.9f1) doesn't work anymore.
    Anybody know how to add the tools manually back to Catalina?
    Or any other solution without changing the Unity version?

pushpendra_colour likes this.
  12. psy0mnius

psy0mnius

Were you (or anyone reading this) ever able to overcome the issue with the 2018.2.9f1 version? I am experiencing the same audio import issue and am stuck on the same version unable to upgrade without rewriting the entire project.