Search Unity

Bug Unity freezes when opening script in Visual Studio - Editor Version 2021.3.3f1 and 2019.4.31f1

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by TehMayhem, Oct 12, 2022.

1. TehMayhem

TehMayhem

Hello hoping to get some other solutions for this issue. Anytime I try to open a script in Visual Studio by clicking on the script in the Unity project browser, Unity hangs and freezes, and the Hold On window displays the same message:
    "ProjectBrowser.MouseDown
    Waiting for Unity's code in UnityEditor.CoreModule.dll to finish executing."

I have waited up to 2 hours in one case, and it still displayed the "Hold On" window. I have noticed this issue happens in any editor version above 2019.4.19f1 (Currently, I am using both 2021.3.3f1 and 2019.4.31f1). The only way for me to continue is to open task manager and force quit Unity. I can open the script in JetBrains Rider Editor and via "Open by file extension" mode and then have to manually search for my project's .sln file each time to reactivate the IntelliSense.

I have tried many methods so far:
    - Complete uninstall of Unity Hub, all editor versions, and Visual Studio. I am following up with deleting all leftover files from the three programs. Shut down the computer for about 15 minutes and then re-installing it.
    - Tried going through my packages and going one by one in removing and seeing if I can open the script (Used to work when I deleted "Visual Studio Editor"; however that solution no longer works)
    - Tried updating packages
    - Tried removing PlasticSCM from the project (Note. I don't use Plastic, I use GitHub Desktop)
    - Tried logging into PasticSCM
    - Tried each mode "Script Changes While Playing" in preferences
    - Tried "Debug" in Code Optimization on Startup" in preferences
    - Tried deleting my Library folder in projects

I am at a point where I am smashing my desk, trying to find an answer to this problem. So if anyone knows of any other suggestions or fixes that have worked for them, I would significantly appreciate it if you could share.

Edit 1. If screenshots or any logs are needed let me know and I can get them.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

When Unity gets into this state, can you right click on Unity.exe in Task Manager and press "Create Dump File"? If you could send me that file (after zipping it up and uploading to some cloud storage like google drive or dropbox), I might be able to tell what it is stuck on.

3. TehMayhem

TehMayhem

Sent you the dump file link through conversations. Also this is what is appearing under Unity when in task manager: upload_2022-10-12_8-46-17.png

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Thanks. It seems it gets stuck while trying to open Visual Studio. Can you give me a few more details?

1. What Visual Studio package version is your project using (you can see this in the package manager)?
    2. What exact version of Visual Studio are you using (you can see this Help -> About in Visual Studio)?

5. TehMayhem

TehMayhem

1. Visual Studio Code Editor 1.2.5 and Visual Studio Editor 2.0.16
    2. Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 Version 16.11.20, also I have the Visual Studio Tools for Unity V4.11.4.0

6. Vaupell

Vaupell

yesterday all was good.. Today, none of the projects previously worked, work now. Something has happened since yesterday.. :( and i did not update neither unity or vs-studio.
    edit. also not using plastic or online storage as suggested in the other thread.

in 2021 LTS it was this,
    upload_2022-10-12_23-2-23.png

threw same project into 2022 for a run..
    upload_2022-10-12_23-2-38.png

Went from mouse down to mouse up, no timeout on both versions. no work on the computer, it's running at idle.. So it can ONLY be unity that is stuck.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi, I heard back from Visual Studio package devs and they told me to ask you whether there are any lingering Visual Studio processes (devenv.exe) in the task manager. This kind of situation can happen if there's a modal dialog open in any of other open Visual Studio instances, and it is a limitation of Visual Studio (Unity waits for Visual Studio to respond, and it doesn't until the modal dialog goes away, hence the freeze).

Another option would be trying to update to Visual Studio 2022, since they consider 2019 to be legacy at this point.

8. TehMayhem

TehMayhem

No didn't see anything like that in task manager. Also, tried the 2022 install once and had the same issue.

9. TehMayhem

TehMayhem

Also forgot to mention this earlier when it freezes, and I close it in task manager when Unity is closed out, sometimes Visual Studio will start up.

10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you install Visual Studio 2022 again, get Unity into this stuck state, and see if you can find "devenv.exe" in the task manager? If it's there, can you right click on it and press "Create Dump File" and send that to me?

Just make sure that no instances of Visual Studio are open prior to double clicking on a script in Unity - that way it will be easier to read the dump for me.

11. TehMayhem

TehMayhem

Hello, sorry for the long delay I have been traveling the past week. But when I click on a script there is no devenv.exe showing in the task manager. Sometimes it does launch Visual Studio, but after I end the unity editor in the task manager. upload_2022-10-27_12-22-27.png upload_2022-10-27_12-22-9.png

Attached Files:

12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you check if it's the same in the "Details" tab? You should be able to sort it by name and look for "devenv.exe" there.

13. TehMayhem

TehMayhem

Nothing there either.
    upload_2022-10-27_14-23-54.png

14. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Thanks, I'll go back to Microsoft with this information.

15. TehMayhem

TehMayhem

Any update?

16. TehMayhem

TehMayhem

Has there been any update from Microsoft on what might be causing this issue and how to fix?

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I'm still waiting to hear back :(. I pinged them again.

18. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Are there any "COMIntegration.exe" processes in the task manager when this happens? If there are, how many? If there's one, can you right click on it, press "Create Dump File" and send that over?

19. TehMayhem

TehMayhem

Sorry for the later reply; notification didn't go through that you had an update. Yes, COMIntegration.exe is in the task manager. Will send you the dump file now.

upload_2022-11-19_13-9-15.png

20. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I shared the dump with Microsoft, I'll let you know what they say.

21. wellzito

wellzito

I had this same error message when trying to use the Text To TMP asset, had to go back to backup and look how slow it is to open the project.

Attached Files:

22. TehMayhem

TehMayhem

Any update from Microsoft?

23. SefsCode

SefsCode

I also have this problem every second

24. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Hello,

- We finally fixed the specific issue found by @TehMayhem.
    - We fixed rare deadlocks while discovering or launching Visual Studio on Windows as well.
    - We improved launching Visual Studio on macOs.

We'll ship all those fixes with the upcoming 2.0.17 version of he VS Editor Package.

Thank you.

25. Yan1234567

Yan1234567

Workaround (worked for me):
    - Close Unity and Visual Studio
    - Under the main project directory, delete the {projectname}.csproj, {projectname}.Editor.csproj, and the {projectname}.sln files. They will be generated on the next run.
    - Reopen Unity