Search Unity

Unity freeze while compiling and playing - 2017.4.3f1

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by shadowrunner6745, Feb 15, 2019.

1. shadowrunner6745

shadowrunner6745

Version 2017.4.3f1 on a late 2015 Mac

This is annoying, as it's not happening on any other coworkers computers

Each time we try to compile, it takes a bit of time, nothing unusual, but then the beach ball appears and unity becomes "not responding" for about 25 seconds

Also, playing used to be instantaneous, now it becomes not responding for about 30 seconds because it actually launches the game

Anybody has any possible pointer as to what it could be? I tried searching online and I couldn't find anything

Thanks

2. Sluggy

Sluggy

Typically, the long delay after the compile is a period where all of DLLs for your project must be unloaded and reloaded. This pause is because the editor itself is dependent on those DLLs and cannot allow any kind of activity during the reload. If you are using many assembly definition files, this pause will be longer due to the addition of many DLLs.

3. shadowrunner6745

shadowrunner6745

Yeah, but the real issue is the additional pause we're getting and the small freeze during compiling. Also the long freeze before playing. This didn't happen before and it randomly started to happen not long ago

All of this isn't happening in a coworker's computer in the same project, attempting the same thing, on a Mac that has the same specs, that's what is worrying

The freeze are long enough to be disruptive and it ain't happening anywhere else

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. Sluggy

Sluggy

Those longs freezes have been pretty common place since 2017.1 to be honest. I'd say, if your coworkers aren't getting them consider them very very lucky. It is something most of the Unity developer world has just had to live with for the last year and a half.

About the only thing I've noticed that will help is high-spec machines which obviously isn't the best answer but it's the only I know will help. It is quite odd that some of your team isn't getting these issues however. Are there any firmware or drivers or hardware features that have been switched on or off on their machines that would differ from yours? What about installed software? I know it sounds strange but hey, there was an issue a colleague of mine had once where he would only get 10 frames per second in play mode in the editor despite having a killer-machine. Turns out, the software that controlled his CPU fan throttling was the culprit!

5. shadowrunner6745

shadowrunner6745

So it's nothing unusual huh?

Not sure what could be differing in the coworker's Mac, but I suppose I could continue to investigate there later

Otherwise, I believe there was nothing strange running on that computer to cause this

Well, thanks for the answer. Seems like it's indeed been happening ever since we switched to that version

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019