Search Unity

Feedback Unity Free Particles Package destroyed my sorting layers, project settings and even tags!

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Marcovich, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Marcovich

Marcovich

I've been working in a project for 4 months detailing every little single aspect of a game, from lights, the Universal Render Pipeline, Shaders, Sizes...ETC...an hour ago UNITY crashed because of a free asset called Blood Stream that I used, so I reopened the EDITOR and the blood asset was not even there anymore, so I thought that I did something wrong so I downloaded the Package again and It asked me that it will change some settings...Since I just downloaded again the "blood" thing I said...go ahead...

SURPRISE...my whole project was destroyed...this thing destroyed my SORTING LAYERS!!!!, my build settings, delete the Render Pipeline, all the menues are trwoing errors because it destroyed teh Build settings and even the code wen crazy since there are not even my tags.

Why an asset messes up with the sorting layers for Chist's sake....why? Now there's just some 'Fire' sorting layer and the Default layer....since you know that two GameObjects overlapping each other in the same layer produce a glitchy result if you dont rearrange them one in top of the another, then you must know that now I have to fix every tree, every house, every window, every character, clothes, powers, lights and even every single stone...everything must be fixed! Just because I used a blood asset...

- Build settings were destroyed as well...so now Menues are not even working, and now I have to recreate all the connections by memory!
    - The Universal Render Pipeline gone...
    - Tags...GONE!

My lord...how could you allowed something so destructive to interfere with sorting layers, tags and build settings? It was an asset for Christ's Sake...a single BLOOD asset yet now I have to recreate all from scratch!

And this is the best part...after such catastrophy...the "blood" asset is still missing...BECAUSE you changed the name of the asset from Blood stream to Goop stream...so you made Unity Editor to crash...and then you put in from of me an autodestruction button ala Doofenshmirtz.

I'm litteraly in shocked and I cannot find a good reason for such destructive behaviour...but for the LOVE of GOD...DONT download any asset from the Asset Store, they will plague your game with errors that I tolarated since day one that I installed an asset, but this one was the straw that broke the camel;s back. It;s absolutly unaceptable so never again an Asset from the Sset Store. Never since there is no reason to depend so much on something this unpredictable.

Ideas: If you know for a fact that this could destroy a whole project...simply don't give the users the chance to destroy their games in front of their eyes...force a shutdown and reopen a new project...then automaticly close that garbage project and go back to the HUD. That would be my 2 cents on this disaster because I never have seen something of this magnitude after an update in any software that I've used in my 20 years carrer...not even with MS...and that says a lot. Hope that my horrible experience serves for something of good. Greetings.

2. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM