Search Unity

Unity fps sample

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by Ralrigs, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Ralrigs

Ralrigs

Hello, i would like to know what are you thinking about the fps sample to a make a game for production, actually from that i saw they are no really way to make online self hosted server, on this point its pretty negative.

From that i tested somes part are confusing but im also nooby so it might be me
    Would you start a serious project based on it ?

It has a good base (even a really good one) but im like lost when i think about more advanced stuff like character selection and a lobby/matchmaking system implementation.

2. Stexe

Stexe

It is more of a test to show that it is possible to do all these things within just Unity without any third party applications. As far as using it for an actual game production, I'd heavily suggest to NOT use it for that. Use something that has been more heavily vetted and is stable and proven to work. FPS Sample uses a lot of experimental technologies like HDRP and ECS. It might be good in the future, but right now it is very messy and confusing and hard to use.

3. karstenv

karstenv

Hmmm, I would say yes, You can indeed use this sample for a full production commercial game and Im pretty sure that is what Unity intended with it. Besides showing off all the new technologies.

The multiplayer part with its server/clients are very stable and I have not had problems running the game at all in this regard.

Our own game Kings War is build using this and we have successfully run servers for many hours without a single crash.

But if its something for a beginner to start with, well absolutely not :)

Its a very huge sample and since we as devs did not put all the stuff in there ourselves its easy to get lost.
    But if you have worked on some other semi large projects (which you really should have done) then its not that hard to figure out what is what etc...

Bottom line from me: Yes you can build a commercial game from the sample provided and we're going to do exactly that at our end ;-)

Demoposaurus likes this.
  4. Ralrigs

Ralrigs

Ok thank you both, i think ill wait then before adding it in my project.