Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity FPS animation ! What should i animate ,body or only hands with gun?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by coldfire 1993, Dec 7, 2014.

1. coldfire 1993

coldfire 1993

Hello guys. I spent a lot of time searching for the answer of my question but nothing.
    So my question is : I want to make a FPS Multiplayer game. I use blender for animations.
    What should i animate hands or the whole body?
    My idea is that i should animate only hands with guns and Animate the body via Mecanim and then connect them together in Unity. Pls Pls pls help because im really stuck in this part. Thnx in advance !

2. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

Typically for FPS games, some detailed arm/weapon animations will be made for the first person player to see, but also some perhaps-less-detailed full-body animations are made for everyone else to see.

Both animated models exist in the game space, but only one is rendered per camera, depending on whether the camera is the first-person view or an external view.

Some games have used a full-body model for both purposes with not-so-great results. One game that seems to be achieving this at good quality is Star Citizen.

(Listen to 2:08.)

A reason to have a simple full-body animated model even if your game isn't multiplayer or other including any exteral viewpoints is so that you can have character shadows, like in Dead Island. If Dead Island is modded to third person mode, you can see that the animations are actually ridiculous-looking, but the shadow looks acceptable anyway.

Make sense?

LeandroExHuMeD and Stormy102 like this.
  3. coldfire 1993

coldfire 1993

I understand but what i mean is :
    Do i have to animate body and hands together in 3d software(which i dont like), or i should animate only hands with guns and the other part of the character with mecanim.I want to animate only hands with guns and put together with animated body with mecanim.
    "All tutorials animate only hands".
    Please help

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This is implemented several different ways and that's what hyblade was getting at. Best advice to give is to prototype and trouble shoot the process you think you might like. Test is out. If it doesn't work or you find a better way do it that way.
    When you can do something like what you're asking a dozen different ways it's best to prototype several different ways and choose the process you like the best.

5. coldfire 1993

coldfire 1993

thnx for your response but i actually dont like animation a lot , i just love programming of the game , i really need a way to do this :)

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

hey coldfire if you dislike animation as much as you state I would suggest trying to find a collaboration partner who can address this area of your game for you.
    If you dislike animation as much as you state all the solutions that address the question you asked aren't going to be fun for you to work through, because you'd rather be programming. :)
    I can completely relate to this myself but from the opposite spectrum. I don't know squat about code, but I love to animate and create art.

Because of your dislike for animation, whatever process you decide to use isn't going to produce the quality you probably want to have in your game.

Try posting in the collaboration forum: http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/collaboration.17/
    See if an animator wants to join you and work with you to find the best approach to your animation problem.

Stormy102 likes this.