Search Unity

Unity Forums Maintenance - August 27, 2018

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Buhlaine, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

We’re working to address the issue of inconsistent load times here on the Unity Forums forums. As such, the Unity Forums will be offline for maintenance on Monday, August 27, 2018, at 09:00 CEST (12AM PST), for an estimated 8-hour window.

For updates on downtime throughout the maintenance, follow us on Twitter.

jashan, Noisecrime, chelnok and 31 others like this.
  2. syscrusher

syscrusher

Thanks for working on this, and for warning about the downtime.

3. xVergilx

xVergilx

No more 403's would be great. Thanks <3

RendCycle likes this.
  4. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

As a web developer who has dealt with these very same types of issues, I feel your pain. Godspeed to you and your crew.

We'll see you on the other side.

ModLunar likes this.
  5. eses

eses

@Buhlaine - Maybe it is a stupid question but will answers be running as normal during that time?

6. syscrusher

syscrusher

LOL! I'm not a web dev, but I lead the sysadmin team at my company, so we get the *other* variety of system performance issues. "My app can't be the problem. It must be your {database|network|VPN|hypervisor} causing the problem." ;)

ScourgeGames likes this.
  7. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Not a stupid question! Answers should be unaffected. :D

8. Martin_H

Martin_H

Good luck with everything, take as much time as you need!
    But there better not be Lithium installed when it goes back online ;).

Noisecrime, twobob and ModLunar like this.
  9. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

:eek:
    Still Xenforo! Just doing some maintenance.

elmar1028 and Martin_H like this.
  10. Martin_H

Martin_H

No joke, that's a big relief! :D
    When I saw the scheduled downtime message I got really nervous for a moment. :eek:

11. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

"Well, it works from my machine..." haha

syscrusher likes this.
  12. RendCycle

RendCycle

Thanks for the notice. Hope everything will be quick/easy and go according to plan. This forum is a great tool used for contacting Asset Vendors for support and most of the historical comments on their product's threads is quite useful. Please take care not to wipe out data if possible. :D

13. twobob

twobob

Good fortune

14. petersx

petersx

In my work in such situation I'm preparing a parallel right solution and when it's ready - just switch IP FAILOVER to another server - a break is less than 5 min - not hours ;) I wonder what these 8 hours are for ?

RendCycle likes this.
  15. petersx

petersx

Another posibility - if 8 hours is very necesery - is make readonly actual forum for maintenance time - users can look and search for archived posts and then maintenance time is not so bad.
    Unless simply - unity can't afford a new server for the forum and want to patch it on the old server.
    Maybe it's time to get acquainted with dedicated servers ?

16. Asisvenia

Asisvenia

Thank you for letting us know! Good luck with it.

17. Manicksport

Manicksport

Thanks for the info. <3

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Would love to see the forums come back with a decent search function, sort by date, etc, would be cool !

19. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

you think you can also work on this?

Firefox is my main browser, its been like this for awhile now. and i cant even login on Firefox anymore because the icon is borked

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you for warning us! Eight hours? Wow...

21. syscrusher

syscrusher

To the folks wondering why the long outage, I can say as a long-time sysadmin myself that server work is often more complicated in the details than it might appear from just a task description. There are a lot of situations in which something that could normally be done by a simple flash-cutover can't be done that way because X depends on Q depends on V depends on A, M, and X, because someone eleven years ago didn't have the funding at the time to replace that old clunky PDP-11 in the corner so we ported its FORTRAN code onto a Raspberry Pi that was the most expensive thing the CIO at the time would fund and..... Well, you get the idea. It's really rare to get the opportunity to "greenfield" a nice tiered application architecture that is reliable, scalable, and maintainable.

Godspeed, Unity team.

bgolus likes this.
  22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is part of Unity's plan to democratise procrastination.

Akshara likes this.
  23. bpdavis2006

bpdavis2006

Is that why they're waiting til tomorrow?

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Not in the UK where it's bank holiday.

25. konsic

konsic

Will you update the UI of the forum ?

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is for fixing forum performance for some people. It's explained in the first post.

Buhlaine likes this.
  27. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

We're back! Thanks all for your patience.

Just to reiterate, we were working on performance and load times. There are no new features or functionalities added.

28. bgolus

bgolus

Sadly, this is far more sane than how these kinds of issues are actually solved at big companies with legacy computers. I suspect a lot of people would be surprised at how many big companies are still using a PDP-11, or some slightly newer (1980's) IBM Model/400 emulating a PDP-11, for all of their 'really important' data handling.

I know of a US government body that's currently running a virtual Java program to emulate an IBM 3090 (1985) that's running code that's emulating an IBM Series/1 (1976) which is running code to emulate an IBM 7070 (1961) that's running EDL. Actually, I should rephrase, they've been trying to get that running for 20 years and it's so far failed and they're still mostly relying on the few 3090s they have left.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  29. elbows

elbows

Thanks for sorting it!

Its performing so fast for me right now that I am taken to posts several ms before I even click on them :D. Only joking, but it is blisteringly fast for me right now, cheers :)

30. bgolus

bgolus

Back to the topic on hand. There've been a few errors, time outs, and long load times, which I'm guessing was either the flood of people coming back to the forums once they started working again, or some lingering issues that popped up, but at this point it does seem much more responsive than it has been in a while. Kudos!

31. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

We've been working to fix some of the hiccups, but if you're noticing anything is recurring please let us know!

32. gecko

gecko

Some problems with searching -- I searched for "microsplat" and got one hit -- a mention of it in a different thread. So I toggled on Titles only, and got no results.

Similar issues searching within a forum thread -- works on some threads, but not others (I searched for 'imposter' in the Amplify Imposters thread, no results.)

33. syscrusher

syscrusher

Indeed, a former employer of mine still had actual PDP-11 and MicroVAX systems in production when I left the company in 2000. The PDP-11 was a great machine in its day, and one of the "downsides" of a really durable machine is that companies never get around to migrating off of them.

On a more positive note, my current employer does a lot of work with Linux/UNIX and with IBM mainframes. Why are mainframes still in use today? Because they still do all the things the did before, and they are the most reliable hardware you can buy, period. Modern mainframes can run multiple operating systems, including the very latest Linux, simultaneously, on a very large scale, and with impeccable hardware-level security and virtualization. Take a "legacy" system with petabytes of critical data inside an Oracle database, then use virtual Linux guests as the "glue" to make all that data accessible in a modern web GUI, and the web servers communicate with the data back-end on a virtual network at memory-bus speeds, and the whole thing has hardware MTBF measured in decades.

New isn't always better, and old isn't always bad, and old names don't always mean old technology. "It's not your father's mainframe any more." :)

Shameless plug: You may find it useful to have them talk with my company (I won't plug that here, but PM me if you want the data). We have a history of solving very unusual problems with very old mainframe equipment, and it's possible we might be able to help.

34. syscrusher

syscrusher

Did the performance-focused work involve a full reindexing by the search engine? If so, that may be still ongoing.

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Does feel slightly more nippy, but is it? isn't it? perhaps it's all a horrid placebo masterminded by the evil @Buhlaine

Not really. Or is it? isn't it?

jashan likes this.
  36. jashan

jashan

It's so fast I thought something was wrong ;-) Did you move the whole thing over to a quantum computer? Or an array of RTX 2080 Tis?

;-)

Antypodish and hippocoder like this.
  37. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Correct :). It finished this morning, about 5 hours ago. Should be running as expected now.

Buhlaine and syscrusher like this.
  38. syscrusher

syscrusher

I had rooted their server and was using it for my Unity lightmap bakes, but they kicked me out. :p

Buhlaine and jashan like this.
  39. w00dn

w00dn

It's so much better for me now. I had load times of several seconds before. Now its less than one. :)
    Thanks Unity!

LeonhardP, Buhlaine and syscrusher like this.
  40. RendCycle

RendCycle

Thanks to Unity for fixing the Forum! Great job!!! :)

LeonhardP, Buhlaine and syscrusher like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.