Search Unity

Unity for windows xp

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by boylesg, Feb 18, 2016.

1. boylesg

boylesg

What is the maximum unity version that will run on Windows xp?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

According to the release notes Unity 5.3 is when support was completely removed. Therefore 5.2.x is the last one.

3. boylesg

boylesg

Thanks for that female bud! You saved me a lot of frigging around with downloads.
    But where the buggery did you find that info because it does not say anything about supported windows versions in here: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

4. boylesg

boylesg

At least not that I could find.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

6. boylesg

boylesg

7. boylesg

boylesg

One thing that sort of intrigues me a little after using Unity today......

What is the point of C# over conventional c++ or c?

Is there anything that you can do in c# that you can't do in the others.

If not then why create yet another language with fairly minor differences?

It don't make sense to me at this early stage in my Unity experience.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Ah, okay. Check the release notes for 5.3 (same link but simply change the number in the drop down box on the right). It specifically states they removed Windows XP support for the editor.

First, C# is six years older than Unity. Second, Unity uses Mono as its scripting platform and C# is Mono's main language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_(programming_language)

9. boylesg

boylesg

OK so for starters C# is taking the C/C++ language a step closer to Pascal with its strict typing and automatic variable initialization etc. That makes some sense.

.NET compatibility....OK perhaps this requires the above that standard C/C++ can't supply with its looser rules.

But, from a C++ programming perspective, there are some seemingly pointless but rather irritating changes:
    1) Like not being able to do this sort of thing: int x = 0, y = 0, z = 0;
    2) Having to do this with floats 0.0f

I suppose I will get used to it.....but why would you bother changing these?????

10. Schneider21

Schneider21

C# is a managed language, meaning it runs within a virtual machine to handle things like memory management and garbage collection. C# was created to be a simple-to-implement and portable language for use with .NET.

For one, create games in Unity. :p

I think the differences are pretty major. Coming from a web development background, I found C# to be simple to pick up, but still struggle to wrap my head around C++. They serve totally different purposes, though, I think, but those differences are unrelated to Unity, as like Ryiah said, C# came out first.

Asking why a new programming language was invented when another one would suffice is a rabbit hole of a conversation that could work its way as far back as Assembly.

Ryiah likes this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

There are ambiguities depending on what the data type is.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-multiple-variables-using-var/4950177#4950177

Different C/C++ compilers treat this differently. Some do complain and others do not.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...f-0-0f-when-initializing-in-c/5199515#5199515

12. boylesg

boylesg

Well may it is just too early for me to comment yet. But regardless, the only differences in syntax I have come across so far are just irritating ones that keep catching me out with my old C++ coding habits.

Really? As far as syntax goes they almost the same language. I can't begin to imagine why you would find C++ harder than C#.

Perhaps when it comes to IDE environments and specific architectures associated with C++, e.g. Microsoft Foundation Classes, I could see your point.

But then coming from Microsoft Visual C++, the unity IDE environment is a little bewildering to me. Reasonably familiar in general details, because Microsoft Visual C++ is centered around dialog boxes and attaching message handlers and class to them just as Unity is centered around objects and attaching scripts to them.

But the unity IDE is confusing in detail such as seeming not having a rename option in the right click menu after you create a new script - you have to hit F2 which I would never have guessed.

Hmmmmm, you have a point. I suppose all inventors are narcissistic to some extent and like to put their unique 'tag' on their invention.

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

They are almost the same language in the same sense that BASIC and FORTRAN are almost the same language. ;)

Schneider21 likes this.
  14. boylesg

boylesg

15. Schneider21

Schneider21

It's also because I haven't really needed to learn C++. I've only been writing code for 6 or so years, but in that time, I've gotten by with JavaScript, PHP, Python, Ruby, VB, C#, and a bit of Java just fine.

I'd say it's more in line with how certain tools are better for certain tasks. PHP is awesome for building quick, functional websites, but I'd hate to try and write a game with it. Likewise, C++ is fantastic for writing desktop applications, but useless for making web applications.

16. boylesg

boylesg

Well they sure as hell look much the same to me overall.
    I would love to know what package you were using that lead you to the conclusion that C++ is significantly harder than C#.

I am thinking is in terms of old fashioned no frills C++ as implemented in Borland Turbo C++ - the C++ IDE from the days of Intel 486 DX, MS-DOS and Windows 3.11.
    Or alternatively the Unix command line compilers like gcc and make.

I would be very surprised if you couldn't figure out how to use C++ in those.

I just downloaded a copy of Borland Turbo C++, that works in Window XP, just for nostalgic purposes.

I mess around with Arduino microcontrollers and the Arduino IDE use stock standard C++. They only thing that takes a bit of time to learn are the assorted libraries for interfacing various electronic components with the arduino.

17. boylesg

boylesg

I taught myself PHP, javascript, html and CSS a few years ago and built this: www.gregsindigenouslandscapes.com.au
    It has a custom shopping cart system that I built from scratch to suit my unique purposes and the lastest increment has a custom content management system that uses a standard Excel spreadsheet.

The ebay and OZtion(now Quicksales) stores turned me off inventory management systems based on server SQL databases. I can just make changes to my inventory etc offline and then upload the spreadsheet when I am done.

18. boylesg

boylesg

Well what about the windows card games etc, they are all almost certainly Visual Studio/Visual C++/MFC based. But you would be right in that this system would be useless for writing website games or Call of Duty like games. But it would seem to me that that is more about the layers of abstraction on top of C++ and the way the compilers are implemented etc than it is about the fundamental syntax etc of C++.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

Where have I left the impression that I find it significantly harder? Being primarily a programmer I'm versed in multiple languages, multiple compilers, and multiple IDEs. I've used Visual C++, GNU C++ (both MinGW and the compiler in its native environment), and Borland C++.

What you may not be aware of or may not understand though is that not everyone who uses Unity is a programmer. We have many people on these forums regularly developing games who are struggling with programming tasks. Some have literally stated that they tried C++ and couldn't pick it up but where able to learn C#.

20. boylesg

boylesg

Oooooooohhhhhhhh!

It'sssssssss alivvvvvvvvvve.......Unity on Windows XP that is.

21. boylesg

boylesg

Oh sorry.......confused.
    It wasn't you who said that. It was this person: Schneider21

22. boylesg

boylesg

Well I just don't get why they would find C++ harder than C#
    Sure it not because most of the coding is done for you by the unity architecture and any coding in the scripts is fairly minimal on the whole.....at least for beginner type projects.

I guess C++, as in Turbo C++ etc, is harder in that it is like building a house with leggo bricks rather than bolting together pre-frabricated components. But I don't see how the language itself is harder to learn.

Even with Visual Studio the vast majority of the difficult and laborious coding is done for you through the MFC architecture. All that is left for the programmer to do is implement message handlers, and you have class wizard to fill the appropriate headers, message maps and function parameters etc You only have to fill in a bit of code into the bodies of the message handler functions. It is not all that different to unity scripts.

23. jhocking

jhocking

Instead of wasting time arguing about it here, just google for the thousands of "c# vs c++" articles that already exist. Seriously, this is a veeeeeeery well trodden discussion.

aer0ace, Ryiah and Schneider21 like this.
  24. aer0ace

aer0ace

One word: Pointers.

That's the very first topic in C++ that sets it apart from C# which I can guarantee those that are trying to learn C++ will turn away from and go right back to C#.

That's just the very tip of the iceberg.

C# only uses pass-by-reference or pass-by-value; there is no such thing as pass-by-pointer, because there is none in C# (*).

Code (CSharp):
    1. Signature:
    2.     SetVertexBuffers(VertexBuffer* vb);
    3. Usage
    4.     SetVertexBuffers(&vertBuff);
    This is just one stupid small example. You can really go crazy with pointers, pointers of pointers, references of pointers of pointers, etc. And it can all get you into massive trouble if you don't know what you are doing, resulting in long nights up trying to fix a mysterious crash bug.

Languages like C# and Java are managed, as already mentioned. Your memory is managed for you through a garbage collector. On the one side, you don't have to worry about freeing your memory. On the other, you can't explicitly reclaim memory. i.e. C++ has the delete operator, and C# doesn't have a direct equivalent (**).

On a usability level, in C++, you have to author the signature in the header file, the implementation in the source file, and the usage in other source files. That's at least 3 locations for the same description. C#, it's only at least 2 locations: the definition and the usage.

#include in C++ is significantly different than C#'s "using" keyword. "using" includes an assembly, but with C++, if you're not careful with your #include usage, you can get some serious headaches from linker conflicts, or slow compile/link times due to lack of forward declarations, especially if you're not using a precompiled header.

Again, this is all just the tip of the iceberg for differences between the languages. I can keep going, but take the advice of @jhocking and do a "c# vs c++" Google search. You'll find a lot more.

(**) You can make an argument with the IDisposable interface, but it's still not directly the same as a "delete".
    (*) Well, there is, but for the purposes of discussion and simplicity, there isn't.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Ryiah likes this.