Search Unity

Question Unity for simple games

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by xFoondom, Mar 28, 2020.

1. xFoondom

xFoondom

Hi

I've been working on a quite simple game on and off for the lesser part of a year on Unity and I have been quite hesitant to do so, and now I am once again in doubt of whether Unity is the right choice for me.

I realize that Unity is a powerful tool that can speed development up immensely, though I usually prefer writing my own code, as I have also done for sprite animation in this project. Thus I automatically have negative thoughts toward the idea of me using the unity Tilemaps and just Game Objects in general, instead of creating my own "World" classes and so on and so forth. At the same time, I fear Unity's build size may be way larger than what is needed for a simple project such as what I am doing, as I am desperately trying to avoid most of Unity's editor features.

Now my dilemma is this - should I even be using Unity? Unity's build system makes everything so neat and easy, and I love it to bits - as far as I have found, it even has a "secret" Nintendo Switch platform available for those that Nintendo find worthy of this incredible feature. Along with all this, Unity has some general API that I enjoy using, it's more the tools (such as the previously mentioned Tilemap, Colliders, Rigidbodies and whatnot) that I want to avoid using.

Is there a way to develop in Unity without these features being pressured upon me? Is there a way to draw a rectangle directly to the screen? The closest way I can think of doing this is using UI elements, but I am unsure of whether that would worth it (since I assume the UI elements aren't quite optimized to be used for rendering player sprites, tile sprites, effects and what not) or if there's a genuine way to render a rect to the screen without the use of a complete gameobject.

I hope you all have some lovely advice for me,
    Thanks in advance!