Search Unity

unity for online apps

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by cbrown, Nov 16, 2006.

1. cbrown

cbrown

Hello,

I a brand new-new-newbie. I've been searching around the unity site for hours, but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

Basically, I would like to know how well or ill-suited the unity web player would be for industrial level online applications. The system we will be building will have a 3D scene at the focus with the application ui surrounding.

This will need to be a very robust and fully-networked online app. Is the Unity web player right for such a task? So far I could not find any such examples in the demos or forum posts. It seems standalone application development is still the main focus of this platform and the web player is only in its infancy.

I would need the web player API to be as robust for communicating with other web technologies (ie. flex, flash, ajax, dhtml) as something like Shockwave or the Viewpoint Media Player (can't use shockwave 3d or the viewpoint media player because they do not have the quality I need).

Thanks in advance!

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We are adding complete web browser scripting functionality to Unity 1.6. We are actually beta testing this at the very moment and it's holding up very well. If you are interested in it, you can send me a mail joe@otee.dk and i can set you up on the beta. Otherwise just wait until Unity 1.6 is released.

3. cbrown

cbrown

Thanks! I have sent you an email. I would very much like to keep abreast of your unity 1.6 web player developments. Do you have an estimated release date for this yet?

Also, one other question I forgot to ask: are there any plans to port the Unity IDE to Windows?

Thanks again!

4. StarManta

StarManta

Anything's possible, but the Unity IDE is tied pretty deep into OS X's windowing system, and it would take a lot of work to port. Given that 80% of Macs are cheaper than a Unity Pro license, and you can run Windows on them anyway if you really want to, buying a Mac solely for Unity is not that bad an option.

And at the risk of sounding like a stuck-up prick, I'm not sure we want overwhelming number of unwashed masses who try the 30-day demo on their parents' windows box, ask for lots of help on the forums, and are never heard from again. For a combination of reasons, it seems there are far fewer of these types on Macs than PCs. (Speaking with a bit of my foot in my mouth here, because I'm running on the 30-day trial... I'm getting a license for Xmas, though) :)

5. AaronC

AaronC

Star Manta
    Hey Im digging your honesty man, and your dead right
    AC

6. Sync1B

Sync1B

Yeah, I agree as well.

7. LukeSkope

LukeSkope

C Brown, et, al.,

Hi, we are also interested in creating Unity content that would be embedded in Flex application, but so far this has been wrought with issues that I am unsure how to solve.

Have you had any luck embedding a Unity creation in a RIA?

I would love to hear any developments you have come across and share my experiences. Feel free to e-mail me at luke@thefluidimage.com

Thanks
    Luke.
    Fluid, LLC

8. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I presume you are already using Unity 1.6.

What issues exactly do you have? Do you have an example web player. Or even better an example project? Just send it in via Report Bug.app