Search Unity

UNITY FOR 3DS GONE FOREVER?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dsmaster, Jan 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsmaster

dsmaster

Nintendo said that Unity will no longer work with the 3DS. And on December 28, they took it off Unity completely. I would like to ask if it is possible in any way or form to gain access to it again. I would like to make 3DS games with unity as a hobby, but I joined just a bit too late. If anybody can help me with this, I will be very grateful!

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

No, but it wouldn't matter if it were available because you need more than just Unity. Console development requires special models of the console only available from the manufacturer. You can't just make a game and upload it to the consoles you find in a store.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

And with a few exceptions (XNA, UWP, PS Mobile) the console manufacturers have little interest in hobby development, so you may not have been able to access it anyway. They make money by taking a cut of games sold, so getting access usually means convincing them you will finish and sell games.

As a hobbyist I suggest PC or mobile development. Between those you can still set up and target a similar form factor and peripherals to your preferred platform. And if you make games or demos that way it'll help you get onto other platforms later.

4. Mauri

Mauri

5. dsmaster

dsmaster

Well, thanks for your input guys. I honestly just like the console due to nostalgia, and it's unique features. I know a bit of C++ so, I guess I will have to program it the hard way. Thanks for your help!

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.