Search Unity

Unity. Fonts. How to address this bug?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by callen, Dec 22, 2015.

1. callen

callen

I wanted to have more of a discussion about this than get an Answers-style response, so I'm making my first (I think) thread in the forum to ask this: why do fonts get broken at runtime in Unity!?

It's not an issue I run into all the time, but when I do, I'm at a total loss how to fix it. I don't know if it happens more often on mobile, but I see it on multiple devices running multiple versions of Android (don't use iOS nearly as much so I can't say there).

And it's not just something I'm doing wrong. I've spent about a month now playing the new mobile Star Wars game (Galaxy of Heroes) and I know it's a Unity game because... sometimes I see this font issue!! EA found a way to correct it after occurring, and I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how. Maybe flushing the dynamic character data (is this possible?), or maybe it's as simple as forcing a redraw on some components.

My best guess at what is happening is this: a dynamic font atlas needs to be regenerated, so Unity should be finding all the Text[Mesh] objects referencing the font and updating to match the new UV-coords (or however this works under the hood), but for some reason a few components aren't being updated.

Does this sound right to anyone? Does anyone have a reliable way to work around it? Thanks!

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Missing to update the UV-coords of the text sounds like a idea, another could be corrupted memory.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  3. callen

callen

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015