Search Unity

Unity Flash update

Discussion in 'Flash' started by Lucas Meijer_old, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Lucas Meijer_old

Lucas Meijer_old

2. Rob4507

Rob4507

How will Adobe track how much money is owed to them off of royalties? Is it 9% gross or net of sales? Glad to see that Unity and Adobe are working together to get a better product.

3. atmuc

atmuc

it is not free :-( i was expecting it will be free at least for the unity pro users.

Announcing pricing for Unity Flash add-on
    We’re sticking with the add-on pricing model that has worked for us for years: Unity Flash Basic will cost $400 per developer, and Unity Flash Pro will cost $1500 per developer.

4. elias_t

elias_t

The 9% revenue share is reppeling.

I wanted to buy the flash pro plugin when it came out, but now it is not an option for me anymore.
    When you count expenses and taxes for a project having that 9% extra expense gives you the feeling that you work for adobe.

Well for some people it might work but not for me.

5. Arowx

Arowx

9% after $50k how would you earn $50k with a flash game?

How does the cost for developing to flash via Unity compare with other 3D Flash development tools?

6. cannon

cannon

There are no other tools for 3D Flash development at this time, at least none that even come close to Unity.

7. cannon

cannon

They mentioned from the start that it would be a paid add-on once released, both in the forums, in the docs, and even that link in Unity that exports to Flash says that will be an add-on.

8. Arowx

Arowx

So Alternativa3D, Away3D, EasyAGAL, ect mentioned on Adobes web page http://www.adobe.com/devnet/games/gaming_engines.html

are not potential alternatives to Unity's Flash Export, some are Free Open Source and integrate via HaXe.

Would the basic license be Free as the current basic licenses are free?

9. Ostwind

Ostwind

No. The current basic free thing is just short time promotion.

"Unity Flash Basic will cost $400 per developer, and Unity Flash Pro will cost $1500 per developer. "

10. tripknotix

tripknotix

Currently Unreal Engine 3 DOES export to flash as of 2 days ago. However, they require a Full Professional License, which is expensive. the free version of Unreal Engine 3 does not offer flash export.

So Cannon's comment "There are no other tools for 3D Flash development at this time, at least none that even come close to Unity." is debatable.

11. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well its not that bad I guess compared with apple that takes 30%.

I think you could easily make over 50k if game portals allowed IAP and your game got over 1 million downloads on each site. If you say 1% to 2% bought thats 20k to 10k customers.If the average IAP spent was 3 bucks its 60k to 30k. And that is one site, if your game doesnt get the numbers say 100k then its only 6k-3k (probably the lower). Thats alot better than saying 1000 downloads is equal to $1 in ad revenue, because 1 million downloads is only $1000 with ad revenue.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  12. cannon

cannon

@Arowx

I've used Away3D as well as a bit of Alternativa, They're usable APIs, but they are not full toolkits similar to how Ogre3D is not in the same category as Torque, Unity etc. Model and material management alone on Away3D is painful for anything nontrivial.

@tripknotic

I didn't know Unreal to Flash was already licensable.

I'm not sure what the download footprint of Unreal Flash is; they should probably show demos much smaller than their pretty but mammoth Citadel.

13. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Great Unity and Adobe working together :)

http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/29/developers-adobe-flash-charge/

BUT THIS IS SO TRUE: