Search Unity

Unity Flash Showtime!

Discussion in 'Flash' started by Wozik, Dec 22, 2011.

1. voidward

voidward

Congrats to all who won.

I find some of the choices fairly peculiar, but hey Unity's the judge so I guess we'll never know how their came to their conclusions. My programmer is fairly disappointed. I had her slave away until the last minute getting leaderboards working in flash, which requires quite a mess of workarounds and in the end we couldn't even pick up a license to help us out with our next game. We were hoping Unity would notice and at least throw us a bone for doing something Flash specific, but what can you do.

I'll ask my programmer if she can post the code and maybe a small writeup for how to get leaderboards working working in flash, maybe she can save some pain for the community.

2. MattCarr

MattCarr

Congratulations to the winners. Like some others I'm slightly disappointed because I don't believe our game (www.vikingsmash.com) was actually played or at least was not played much as there were no levels made/submitted by the judges in the level editor which is the primary element of the game.

It would have been good to have had some notification of successful submission or that the judges had played the submission at some point. I spent the majority of the only 2 week holiday I'd had for a year creating the game, so it would've been nice to know one way or another that it had actually been played and hadn't made it into the top 10 for legitimate reasons.

Also, like voidward's programmer, I spent a stupid amount of time on some tricky Flash stuff that I thought might get noticed. I wrote a wrapper flash app to not only handle all my database upload/download stuff for user created levels, but also I wrote a solution for handling text through the wrapper application so that I didn't need to bloat my file with different font textures.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  3. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Well, if "Little Ghost" didn't make it (it's an excellent entry, far better than some of the winners) I can't complain for not being in. Our game, Fun Gallery, was done in just one week too, which's just a proof of the amazing production speed you get out of vector technology on top of Unity's ease of use. Still, we had to cut down on features to make sure we had a complete game.

Even if we had spent the two weeks, wouldn't matter much considering winners with months of pre-existing content, or just adapting an already done game. Like I said, it'd be all up to Unity's criteria, and we all knew that pre-existing content and games were valid according to the rules. So yeah, for the rest of us let's just be glad for the cool experience, and especially for having completed a title - that can now be ported over to those truly-profitable mobile platforms ;)

4. Fubiou

Fubiou

Well, I really didnt like the fact we hadnt receive any confirmation of our submissions, I didnt like the fact that google analytics points no activity from abroad for some competitors and I decided to never try such competition again, It isnt about results (which I do not agree with some) but respect, it is about holidays, pushing limits, sacrifices, like other competitor said "slavery" and we didnt have an official publication of our entrys, not even an official confirmation of our presence in this contest.

5. crafTDev

crafTDev

QFT, I worked till the last minute then quickly hit the submit button, all I had was hope that it went through...I'll never do a competition that gave so much stress ever again...

6. mjuder

mjuder

I am a college student, and now doing the graduate design. Does anybody know about the flash networking in untiy3d?
    Thanks!

7. Arowx

Arowx

Zombie Gnomes Working in Flash!

How long can you survive against a horde of Zombie Gnomes?

Help! No No Arrgh!

8. Kevingarry

Kevingarry

Can you play Unity games, 3D games or other flash games on PS3 when you have internet connection?

9. Boff

Boff

how did you get the tile'd texture look / 8-bit character animation working - I thought dynamic textures were out of the picture?

10. Arowx

Arowx

For the character animation I used separate sprites for the elements and animated the elements using Unity's animation system.

11. AnnaParker

AnnaParker

:)

12. D-Rock

D-Rock

13. TinaCarte

TinaCarte

I'm having the following problems with Showtime theme 3.2: I can not do freshslider work, I follow all the steps in your video help. I want to use

14. samim23

samim23

Here is a project i just finished for a client:

http://icebreaker.skoda.ch/

using unity4 flash exporter. production time about one month.

Still some ruff edges but it´s live and playable.
    Let me know what you think and if you want to hear more about the production cycle details.

cheers
    samim