Search Unity

Unity Flash Showtime!

Discussion in 'Flash' started by Wozik, Dec 22, 2011.

1. FredericRP

FredericRP

Hello there,

there's a lot of really good stuff here, and I'm almost ashamed of what I'm posting here, but this is something different and it was a challenge just by submitting something, so I did it in the few days I had: sQared is made from my ludum dare 22 entry with more stuff like a generated labyrinth in which you'll meet strange minded people and will have to avoid traps and solve digicodes. To avoid being stuck in the labyrinth, just follow the lights that will guide you through it !

Here's sQared for FiaF :
    - an overview of a generated labyrinth (don't use it if you play it as it won't be the same each time)

- a view of a trap (that seems to not work as intended in the flash release)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. Dark Acre Jack

Dark Acre Jack

Play CHASSIS!

Held off on posting here until I had the demo video loaded.

CHASSIS is a 2-player, head-to-head, turn-based, simultaneous-resolution strategy game involving customizes mecha-robo frames called, obviously, "Chassis".

Demo Video

Promo Image

Daily V-log Diaries

Play CHASSIS!

Special thanks to Joshua Kaplan Jordan Von Trask for the music tracks, and Sven Bergström (a.k.a. FuzzYspo0N) for the 2D backgrounds.

Thank you also to Unity 3D for making this possible, and best of luck to all entrants.

3. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

It's transparent to the players 'coz the actual graphics capability of the Flash plugin is dictated by Flash, it can't be overcome by Unity. You seem to assume that the competition was aimed to impress the players and the general public. Imo it's mere common sense to conclude that a competition called "Flash in a Flash", a title related to production speed, is not targeting the players, but the developers.

4. Fubiou

Fubiou

Agree.

5. GED

GED

Well its a difference of interpretation then. Also surely if it was a challenge of production speed then obviously a flash(vector art) game would be faster to make in adobe flash as it has excellent tools for that, whereas a beautiful 3D game would be much much faster to make in unity without even needing any plugins. This just my speculation, doesnt matter now, we will see who wins the competition and celebrate either way as both of us want unity to show off what its got :).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  6. Stalker.23b

Stalker.23b

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  7. Frankykey

Frankykey

8. Fubiou

Fubiou

Looks awesome!

9. Frankykey

Frankykey

THX)

10. Fubiou

Fubiou

Your link just doesnt work here.

11. Frankykey

Frankykey

bad, but some resource on which to send the game?

12. Fubiou

Fubiou

I sent mine by dropbox, it is working well so far.

13. whitewhale

whitewhale

This is our game, made from scratch in 72 hours. We've enjoyed seeing everyone's games!

The trick to this game is timing! You can get pretty far if you don't panic. (tip: smacking people in the face with mugs and ashtrays is worth more points than simply throwing back bullets)

Click here to play Psychic Frog

In 1972, agents of the international supercriminal organization M.A.Y.H.E.M. bioengineered an extraordinary frog. M.A.Y.H.E.M. intended to send the frog into space. The frog did not want to go to space. Witness now a great escape.

CONTROLS
    Directional Keys - Move Psychic Frog
    Hold Spacebar - Activate Psi-Shield (note: the shield slows you down, but you can collect bullets in the line of fire!)
    Release Spacebar - Launch Collected Objects

GAMEPLAY
    You can aid Psychic Frog in his escape from M.A.Y.H.E.M.’s complex by activating his Psi-Shield to allow him to collect objects.

The shield can be sustained indefinitely, and while it is up, nothing can hurt Psychic Frog.

Agents of M.A.Y.H.E.M. will attempt to shoot Psychic Frog, but he can sense where they are aiming and when they will fire. Enemies are aiming for YELLOW spots on the ground. The spots turn ORANGE when an enemy prepares to fire, and RED when they do fire.

Sustain your field, allow them to fire, and collect bullets while in the line of fire. Release your shield to fling bullets and whatever other objects you have at the nearest highlighted enemy. If close enough, Psychic Frog will automatically target the nearest foe. Be careful! Even one bullet is enough to make Psychic Frog need a nap--ruining his great escape.

14. casa2012

casa2012

15. piterpol

piterpol

16. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Quality vector art is not "faster" to make in Flash than in Illustrator or Inkscape, I'm not sure where you got this misconception from. Making a game isn't also all about the graphics. Like I said before the workflow, integrated physics and smooth IDE is what makes Unity so much more productive than Flash.

Not quite getting your point here. Not everyone uses GIMP and Blender for their game making, tons of games (and I'd risk saying, most top-quality ones) have their art made using tools like Photoshop, 3DSMax and Maya, all paid software. Not to mention Flash itself is paid, and it's not exactly cheap.

As for the competition winners, aside from the obviously weak entries it'll be all about criteria and personal preference, the only sure winner is Unity and its gamedev community :)

17. MichaelTkachuk

MichaelTkachuk

Hey. HEre is my entry. Please add it to the wall of entrants.

Game title: Shuffle Puzzles

Screenshot:

18. erenaydin

erenaydin

I made a simple game but it's not easy to finish :) Let's try it:
    www.zombeam.com

19. MichaelTkachuk

MichaelTkachuk

20. trevorvonryan

trevorvonryan

Hello all! Adding my entry to this list was optional, correct? I'm very new to everything Unity.

21. akasurreal

akasurreal

Yeah, this is just for fun and to show off ;)

22. trevorvonryan

trevorvonryan

Cool just making sure I didn't F myself :)
    Here is our entry, "escalator", created by myself and a partner:
    trevorvonryan.weebly.com
    Have fun with it!

23. akasurreal

akasurreal

Pretty cool little game. Little feedback. I thought shooting wasn't working, because I was pushing shift over and over, didn't realize you had to hold it down and there would be a delay before it started firing. Also the first "boss" seems incredibly hard, took forever just to get him to 25%. Maybe I just suck though. =)

24. trevorvonryan

trevorvonryan

I guess I could've described it a little!
    Yes, hold shift to repeatedly fire.
    The goal is to reach the end without being killed, the % is how far along you have come :)
    And it is really hard, since it only has the one level. Good luck!

25. akasurreal

akasurreal

Ohh I assumed it was just for taking out that one guy. Like it was his health meter.

26. trevorvonryan

trevorvonryan

It gets way harder too.
    We'll make it a full-fledged title and release it on "everything" if we manage to get a license!
    Thanks for the input.

27. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Updated: Unity - Flash in a Flash Competition - Wall of Entrants.
    Over 100 Entries on the wall now.

All games with images and links in this thread up to this post are now included.

I made the wall of images to get a quick over-view of all the entrants for the competition as it was getting hard to keep up in this thread. Every game is represented by one of its in-game screenshots and clicking the image will load the Flash version of the game.

The awesome Firefox version which pops up a larger image on rollover.
    The ordinary IE8 version, which is just the wall of images like it was previously.

28. trevorvonryan

trevorvonryan

29. se7en

se7en

Very cool to see but it's not all of them - you left off my Rally X Demo. I'm sure a few others are missing too.

30. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Well I'm only human ;)

Others may be missing if they failed to post an image or link to the game, some have been removed by request of the original author, some may have been missed, but then the author can always contact me via this thread of pm.

Anyway page is updated to include Rally X, nicely finishes off a row of 4 images, until the next games get posted ;)

31. trevorvonryan

trevorvonryan

Thanks for adding!

32. se7en

se7en

Very cool - thx for adding it!

33. se7en

se7en

I wonder when they are going to update the Unity plugin to 3.5. Only us devs can play the Unity version and while having Flash support is cool, I personally found it way too slow to really be highly usable. Lack of static batching was the real killer for me performance wise. That and the texture compression was not as good - the unity version is 40MB and the flash version was 60MB. Thats a huge difference in DL time.

It would be good for much more casual games I think. It also might be way better on PC. Flash has already run slowly on mac and its very crash prone. Eats CPU cycles for breakfast : )

34. khanstruct

khanstruct

As we move on to our next project, we're rolling back to 3.4. No sense in building anything else in 3.5 until its stable (and you purchase the Flash license if you're going that route).

35. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

[deleted]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  36. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

[deleted]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  37. MichaelTkachuk

MichaelTkachuk

Thanks for posting my entry!

38. GED

GED

Agreed! :) Sorry I didnt mean vector art is faster to make in flash, I meant vector art games are faster to make because of flashes toolset but I cant really draw that conclusion because Ive never used ragetools yet. I am impressed by what I have seen of it, perhaps it is as productive as you say. Ill keep it in mind if our team ever need to make a vector styled game. Keep making cool stuff!

39. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I would really like to see a flash game (made with flash) that could rival Ski Safari (even though its 2d), its definitely my favorite game of the entries.

40. Stoklos3D

Stoklos3D

41. Thomas Drucker

Thomas Drucker

Here's mine. It's a puzzle disguised as a isometric scifi game. If you'd like to solve it yourself stay away from the hints, I've made them very obvious to make sure people would reach the end.

Did anyone receive a confirmation e-mail from the contest? I haven't heard anything. Makes me wonder...

Pentagram

42. khanstruct

khanstruct

No, there was no confirmation email. Makes everyone else nervous too, but if you submitted the form in time, I'm sure you made it.

43. trevorvonryan

trevorvonryan

I submitted the form like 5 minutes before the deadline haha. I'm EXTRA worried :)

Dang I've been sitting on my hands thinking I can't make money using the free version! I guess FAQs are a good thing :) Still hope I win something, but I'm off to continue working with this awesome engine!

Sorry. I just read it and am really excited. Can't believe I wasted so much time using... This other, German engine :) Or Dutch? If you've used it you know.

44. D-Rock

D-Rock

I've been lurking in these forums forever and a day ago, but I thought I'd show off my group's "Flash in a Flash" game, which we are working towards a final version to port to iOS and Android OS eventually.

Omega Hero is a side scrolling brawler where you play as Omega Hero, a small time super hero trying to defeat an evil corporation and their henchmen, the Dust Bunnies. We did one level that encompassed a lot of the features we will have spread throughout the final game. Porting to flash was a little frustrating, but I did get it to work (even though there are some weird bugs every now and again). Let me know what you think!

Play the game here!
    http://www.crazyrockcreative.com

Follow us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/OmegaHeroGame

45. Azzara

Azzara

Great job everyone. I discover a new cool game every day. :)
    I have played the zeppelin one the most so far (although it doesn't let me progress beyond 2-2).

46. Spoogeist

Spoogeist

Just beat Rakete. Easily my favorite of the bunch (though everything I've played has been great). Try to get through a few more of the games today.

47. henry96

henry96

I'm also worried about the submission cuz there is no email confirmation. But there's nothing we can do about it. All we can do is hope that it goes through successfully and hopefully win a price. Result will arrive soon. 2 or 3 weeks left.

48. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I really liked Omega hero and will buy when its released for IOS

49. akasurreal

akasurreal

Very cool, thanks for doing this!

50. D-Rock

D-Rock

Yay! Thank you so much for your feedback. The final game will have 6 levels, an endless mode, game center achievements, and so much more. This is my first indie game, so I am jumping up and down right now after reading this.