Search Unity

Unity Flash Showtime!

Discussion in 'Flash' started by Wozik, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Winterblood

Winterblood

My entry was built in about 3 days on and off. As I usually do in Ludum Dare, I ran out of time. But it was fun to make!
    Play it here... Voidships: Pilot Error

2. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

@Noisecrime: Thanks for the list! Great to see the entries this way.

I partly agree, ofcourse the exported version are the same as flash games. The real power of creating flash content with Unity3D compared to Flash however is the Editor itself.

Our entry (Squeak Squad) looks very 2D in static screenshots however it's is actually quite high poly 3D. We didn't use standard texture maps, only 16 pixel gradients. The colors shapes you see are the actual polygons. The workflow for this was Sculpting in Zbrush > Decimating the millions of polygons > Export the distorted low polygon model > Unwrap the polygons onto the seperate color gradients > export to unity > done. Without the Unity3D editor it would be much more difficult to combine all the sculpted meshes into one solid game since there is not really a solid solution for that from adobe.

3. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

I see bitmap graphics... everywhere!! :D lol
    Now seriously, no more submissions using RageSpline tech other than Fun Gallery?

Agreed, this is obviously the lowest that Unity Technologies has ever spent on such a massive portfolio-building campaign ;)

Very true. For instance, I've only learned that "Smuggle Truck" had been ported for the competition (!!) through twitter.

For me the big revolution that Unity can provide to Flash games building is Unity itself - that is, its IDE. The big point for Unity is to prove that its technology can build games faster and with the same quality and features, showing that it can do "more" is kinda pointless since the final output uses Flash technology anyways. We've focused our title exactly on that, showing that you don't need the Flash editing environment + code bridges to get a high quality graphics, text and GUI with scalable vectors in your Flash game, you can do it all inside Unity - with the huge benefit that it'll also work for iOS, Android, PS3, etc.

Here goes a couple honorable mentions and comments. Just my personal criterea ofc, but I'll skip the games that obviously had previous content done (with "tap" interfaces and such):

Little Ghost - Great concept and textures, the ghost collider stickness makes it a little frustrating at times
    Pile Of Kittens - Can get a tad slow at times but there's something japanese-like in the art and style that it's hard to not love
    Tail Drift - Amazing visuals, fun and disorienting. The "disorienting" part is both good and bad of course.
    An Unusual Story of MR. Red - Extremely moody and disturbing. Alas, lack of sound effects and low responsivity breaks the immersion.
    Covert - Reminds me of the early Metal Gear games, great execution. Puzzles get too tricky too fast imo.

4. botumys

botumys

Little tip for my game, Xzyu. Press 'a' in the level selection menu to unlock all levels :)

5. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  6. wilco256

wilco256

http://www.faircloudfinancial.com/Infiltrator/Infiltrator.html

There's a link to a controls explanation at the top.

This one was a lot of work to port to flash as we had a lot of runtime audio pitch adjustments and pretty complex pathfinding among other things I had to either strip out completely or heavily modify to get the Flash compiler to like it.

7. GED

GED

Love seeing all the wonderful entries and seeing the unity engine pushing into new territory, most games ran rather slow on my imac in firefox unfortunately.

Hey Maddox I have to say I dissagree, I feel that unity is very very good at making beautiful 3D games with fancy physics and shaders etc, Flash on the other hand is very good at making beautiful 2D vector games. Im not sure it will impress people to see flash doing what it has done for many years now, as they wont even realise it was done in unity unless they are told. From a technical standpoint it is impressive but for the users experience Im sure a flashy artsy 3D game with post processing going on will turn heads. Also It will be many years(if ever) till flash has the tools to build awesome 3D games like unity so thats the big unity revolution for me. Just my opinion.

8. Fubiou

Fubiou

9. Fubiou

Fubiou

10. khanstruct

khanstruct

@Fubiou: Clever game. Kinda Katamari-esque. Odd that phone booths come out of cars, and trash cans come out of phones booths, but I'm sure that's just due to lack of time to make more assets. Controls were very smooth, and I love the cut scenes and humor. Nice job!

11. Fubiou

Fubiou

With time it would be more "odd" :D it is based on a bodymass system, a thing can be splitted in equivalent amount of each substance (metal, misc minerals, wood, and concrete) the cow is kinda recycle usine, she can separate those things but I didnt use it with any interesting way, its just code for mow. So the script in the objects has the percent of air, metal , bla bla bla and the volume it fills and then it calculate the mass, weight, strenght to throw and things that will replace the broke object.

I thought it would be funny to see strange things coming out of usual things :D.

Thank you for play and comment.

12. Fubiou

Fubiou

You just gave me an idea, have pieces of car, the phone and a cow going out the broke car, so every cow I dont eat inside the car will count points in a point system I will design! :D.

13. khanstruct

khanstruct

You are a strange man...

14. Fubiou

Fubiou

And it is just a game!

15. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

@GED, I agree.
    I personally can't see why I would buy the power of Unity + Unity Flash just to work on stuff that can be done in Adobe's tools;
    Sounds like waste of money to me. And the average player (at least the ones in the communities that I live in) they absolutely hate flash games mainly because those look so limited. I don't have a single friend who like to play such kind of game, maybe it's just me.
    Bringing the no "accidental" gamer to appreciate flash games would be the real revolution about it, in my personal opinion...
    Anyways, square worlds and pixelated flat graphics are fashioned nowadays.

16. Arowx

Arowx

With Freemium, Social and Zynga paving the way for online games it's only a matter of time before we see major franchises going to the browser, maybe not for the full featured product but it could allow older games to be re-released as browser based games.

17. h.istvan

h.istvan

Wow, huge number of entries for this contest. There are some really serious games out there!
    Here is mine. A little navigator puzzle game, where you need to combine the moves and reach the portal.
    LuNavigator

18. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

19. marata

marata

20. NickTinyCrab

NickTinyCrab

21. gtjuggler

gtjuggler

I just realized I never posted my two entries to the Flash in a Flash contest here, but only on Twitter!

Snuggle Truck - Play here!
    A physics-based stunt racer where you must tilt your truck and deliver as many stuffed animals to the zoo as possible!

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome - Play here!
    BASE jump from a perfectly good building, create your own stunts, and flip people off for points. Created by Dejobaan Games and Owlchemy Labs.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  22. osmant

osmant

Alright, here's mine, you can play it at this link: PLAY

Here's a video for the ones who don't feel like playing:

vid is not from the flash build ofc :)

23. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Unity - Flash in a Flash Competition - Wall of Entrants Updated

All games with images and links in this thread to this post are now included.

The big changes is there are now two pages!
    The awesome Firefox version which pops up a larger image on rollover.
    The ordinary IE8 version, which is just the wall of images like it was previously.

The original page now just has links to the new ones.

Made a few more changes to make it easier for me to add entries, I really though there wouldn't be too many more added to this thread when I originally made it ;) and i've cleaned up the page a bit, move the body text to the bottom etc.

24. dannybampr

dannybampr

Killer Basket

to play enter here -> www.killerbasket.com

HOW TO PLAY?
    1) Hit Play
    2) Click on new ball
    3) Click and hold Push till you want to release the ball...

Release too late, the ball goes over the basket, too early doesn't make it to the basket, perfect balance is required to make points. Personally I haven't made more than 60 points! You only have 350 seconds!

HINTS
    -If you know your going over the basket, releasing and pressing again push might do the trick!
    -And just for fun, try after releasing push, adding a new ball quickly, it will fly high!

Have fun!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  25. tomworcom

tomworcom

@mylons: Platform reach vs. Performance, as said before.
    You can now enjoy Unity content under Linux and on other platforms without installing a player, which was a real dealbreaker for some customers where interested in using Unity for non-game content, and for Facebook games.
    Personally I believe that Flash Export will be another major milestone for Unity, a real breakthrough.
    And this thread should be proof enough that it's already very stable and high quality content is already possible, some of it in less then 2 weeks of development time.
    (You really found the most unlikely place on the forum to complain about all that... ;) )

26. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

I love your game Osman!

Really like to play this as a online multiplayer game! ;)
    The only thing I think is missing is a little minimap to locate your enemies.

Good Job!

27. innorevo

innorevo

Hi everyone,

Here is my team's entry: Shadow Force, a tactical top-down shooter with Fog of War. Post here to join the fun ^^ Here is the link to play: Link

28. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

"People" who, the players? That's certainly not the point since it should be transparent to them anyways. If you mean the developers, it should certainly impress them the fact that they can do vector graphics in Unity and not be stuck to the (questionable future) Flash world, being able to apply the "build once, deploy anywhere" Unity philosophy and start profiting immediately from the increasingly huge mobile market.

Adobe did show some in-house 3D tools in its technology preview videos, but they haven't made any firm statements on having 3D editing capabilities inside Flash AFAIK, so it's hard to know if they're intending to compete with Unity or not in the 3D IDE department.

Conversely, deploying your game for the App Store and the Android Market sounds like making money and saving up (from hiring another studio to make the conversion) to me. Not to mention that not everything that Unity can do for 2D can be done half as easily or with as much performance with Flash, like physics and parallax scrolling. 'Smuggle Truck' is a nice example of that. Also Bruno, you can't forget the fact that most Flash developers are used to 2D development and its facilities, 3D does require a different and larger skill set and trying to sell Unity as a 3D-only solution can only scare away a large chunk of this large mass of developers.

Give them a smooth transition path, to keep doing what they're used to all within a unified, versatile engine, plus the benefit of deploying to the platforms they've only dreamed about till now, and they'll come. After that, as needed or wanted, they can take the time to add up the 3D and "2.5D" techniques to their arsenal. Win-win.

29. khanstruct

khanstruct

I don't know that the Flash deployment in Unity is meant to appeal directly to Flash developers. Its meant to appeal to Unity developers who can now build their games for an even larger market (consoles, Mac, PC, Flash, mobile, etc.). Of course, Unity does offer some great tools to existing Flash developers as well; that's only if they're looking for a different engine to learn. For existing Unity devs, on the other hand, this is an invaluable tool.

Build once, deploy anywhere.

This contest also shows that Unity is incredibly useful at developing quality, Flash content extremely fast.

30. Fubiou

Fubiou

For me at least the power of unity is about the speed, ease and with a good performance plus the easy deployment (its almost universal). For me, a non coder, do a game like the one I posted as my entry and in a small time frame like 12 days, iswould be impossible to do in another system (afaik).

31. akasurreal

akasurreal

Absolutely. An example, we published Mummy's Treasure on most of the big casual game portals like Big Fish Games, Game House, etc after re-working our iOS release for desktop. Some publishers asked if we had a flash version of the game to be used as an upsell tool for the download version. At the time, we had no way of doing so without completely re-creating the game in Flash, and they were not interested in confusing their uber-casual users with the Unity webplayer plugin.

32. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

BrUnO XaVIeR, how did you manage such a ridiculously good framerate in your game? There are so many games on here with so much less going on, and the framerates are terrible...

33. hjupter

hjupter

Interesting... would you mind telling me whats the fps of my game on your computer?
    Here is the link: http://www.ninjapvp.com/game/flash

34. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hmm... Dunno, luck maybe?! ;)
    Well, all the games run very fine here, but basically what I do is separate all hundreds of objects into groups. Than if the player is X distance from a group, I completly disable all its childs. The only thing permanently running in Update() are a few Vector3.Distance() calls for each group.
    @hjupter, your game runs nice here too. But I know some friends have problems with bad fps in almost all games though. Its stuff Unity need to fix.

35. any_user

any_user

36. Anxox

Anxox

RAKETE! is awesome. I only use 2 thrusters. 3 if I want to go fast.

37. Fubiou

Fubiou

Hey guys, do you wanna say one or other thing about performance? Its a mistery for me, in some machines our game runs smooth, in other machines, even in better machines, the fps runs bellow 10 fps, what do you think? Does it happen to you too?!

38. akasurreal

akasurreal

You are somewhat at the mercy of whatever GPU is in each system. Have you compared to the webplayer performance to see if its a Flash issue or not?

39. hjupter

hjupter

Unity flash its slower than make a 3d game on flashdevelop or flash builder using alternativa 3d flash api or similar, im sure and hope they will improve that on the final version

40. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Well, last time I checked Unity was selling its tool to game developers of any kind, no matter what they use, even if Flash ;) The point is, the Flash deployment feature isn't just yet-another-platform supported, the cost of development was surely much higher. Unity's Lucas Meijer recently mentioned that they have like four compilers, two of them homebrew to get that beast working, and that it's practically a miracle that it even works. Considering Unity probably won't charge more extra than what it does for the iOS and Android deployment modules, I find it very, very hard to believe that Unity was only aiming at the existing developer base. Nevertheless, since this is speculation terrain, that's just a common-sense guess of course.

Why wouldn't current Flash developers look around for new and better options, given the last year's events, is completely beyond me. Most Flash devs I follow and read blogs from definitely think otherwise.

Exactly, another reason why I think that trying to impress the world with Unity-to-Flash 3D isn't exactly the best bet, at least for now. Again, that's just my opinion, I highly admire everyone that did a great job with 3D graphics and shaders with the current beta release, like Bruno.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  41. vdharshan

vdharshan

Here is my entry

Flash version
    http://www.ezzal.com/PenguinGame/Penguin.html

You may checkout the high quality version with fancy water shaders here lol
    http://www.ezzal.com/PenguinGame/demo_exe.rar

its just a demo, a 3D remake of our popular flash game "Penguin Quest"
    Play Penguin Quest on Yahoo Games

We made all this game within 4-5 days from scratch..(scripts,models,texture,levels,everything) and it can't be called as a game yet, not finished or polished. its just a small demo. and we made a mistake by creating this game for standalone EXE version first and spent the last day for converting it to flash :-O so its not optimized for performance much. and its best viewed in 800x600px (for exe version)
    and this is our first game in unity3d.. so we spent 1-2 days to learn Unity3D.. anyways I've used unity once in the back... I've used almost all 3D engines out there :-D

due to the time frame, we couldn't finish this game to 100%

so, what you think ?

I'm the guy behind : Ezzal Games

btw its my first post in Unity Forums, I was too busy to post here :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  42. rbbrdckybk

rbbrdckybk

Fun thread - just realized I never posted my entry!

Flashteroids - play here (Flash version)

Flashteroids is a 2D shooter with 3D graphics inspired by Asteroids and other old-school arcade games.

This was my first Unity project (and my first 3D game ever). All of the coding, models, and art was done by me, although I used Unity's Detonator framework for some of the explosions. The sounds came from www.freesound.org.

I had fun with the competition, and enjoyed looking through all of your entries. There is some great stuff in here!

43. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

Wow so many great entries, I've been playing as many as I can!

Here's ours:
    Jet-Skate Jo-Jo is a rollicking rocket-propelled ride, featuring loops and hoops and thrills and spills! Step right up and get your monkey action here! A quick pull of the pop-gun cannon is all it takes to get Jo-Jo rolling, then hit the jets to send our little monkey friend rocketing down the track. Jo-Jo goes bananas for .... bananas! And OH MY STARS! Collect them too!

This game was made from scratch by Tim Miller, Cathy Feraday Miller and a few of our friends in only 9 days specifically for the Unity3D "Flash in a Flash" contest. It's missing a few things like sound and high scores, but we plan to do a whole lot more with the game after the contest judging is complete. We hope you enjoy it!

Play it here! Jet-Skate Jo-Jo

44. nathan.harvey.hansen

nathan.harvey.hansen

Since everyone else is showing off their entry here I suppose I will as well :0)

Allow me to introduce Zeppelin Havoc.

Try our new title, Zeppelin Havoc, the only blimp-juggling game you'll ever play. Take control of the amazing Fanmobile, the zeppelin rescue vehicle preferred by professionals*, to guide your faulty dirigibles to safety! What comes down must go up!

*Taken from a survey of the only two professional zeppelin jugglers we could find

You can play it here.

45. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

46. henry96

henry96

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  47. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Updated: Unity - Flash in a Flash Competition - Wall of Entrants.

All games with images and links in this thread up to this post are now included.

I made the wall of images to get a quick over-view of all the entrants for the competition as it was getting hard to keep up in this thread. Every game is represented by one of its in-game screenshots and clicking the image will load the Flash version of the game.

The awesome Firefox version which pops up a larger image on rollover.
    The ordinary IE8 version, which is just the wall of images like it was previously.

@innorevo: Updated the page with your entry.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  48. innorevo

innorevo

Hi Noisecrime,

I forgot to put an image for my entry Shadow Force. I put it here ^^ Link to play the game in Flash: Link

Attached Files:

49. GED

GED

How would it be transparent to the players? I think the whole point of competitions like this is so that unity3D has some stellar marketing material and they can post links all over the internet getting players/developers to check out the "awesome 3D fancy stuff" that's now possible with unity and flash, the kind of stuff you've never seen in flash before that just blows your mind.

I dont think flash devs consider the future of flash to be very questionable, not yet anyway, maybe a little tentative but they dont seem in any kind of panic to drop what they are best at to learn a new engine.

Also, damn Im lovin snuggle truck! so well ported, wish we could figure out why our games wont port.

50. DanniFox

DanniFox