Search Unity

1. Click here to see what's on sale for the "Best of Super Sale" on the Asset Store
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Experimental HDRP DXR

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by SebLagarde, Apr 4, 2019.

1. elbows

elbows

It's a documentation issue, as no version of HDRP code I've ever seen has a Tier 3 yet:

public enum RaytracingTier
    {
    Tier1 = 1 << 0,
    Tier2 = 1 << 1
    }

I have seen pathtracing working without this in various versions, I cannot say whether it should work in the version you are using. Its still under development, for example this github branch has been active in recent days:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/tree/HDRP/staging_pt2

Note thats currently in a 8.x 2020.1 version of HDRP, but at the moment much work is still getting backported to a 2019.3 7.x release, but I dont know if that will be the case for this code/feature (its a slightly confusing time following along on github at the moment due to 8.x starting a while back but 7.x still being the focus in some ways, hence lots of backporting and me, as an onlooker outside the Unity organisation, trying to resist making optimistic assumptions about what will still make it into 7.x for 2019.3 ).

Pathtracing is rather heavy, seems mostly useful for ground truth comparisons and non-realtime, offline use with the current gen of hardware. So the Tier 3 thing does make sense, its just not been implemented anywhere other than the docs from what I can tell.

2. elbows

elbows

I've tried numerous times to explain to people what the proper solution for that is.

I wont repeat my full explanation and instructions again, I will just say that you need to create a local copy of the com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition-config and that the raytracing sample project is one example of how to do this. And the small error with this project that I mentioned last time I spoke of this subject has been fixed, so it should just work:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing

forbidd3n3ra likes this.
  3. elbows

elbows

In the past all the user experiences spoken of here where shadows in play mode were messed up compared to non-play mode, were caused by not disabling static batching, and disabling that fixed the problem. I know you mentioned switching this off via the Wizard fix page for RT, but this is still the first thing to check. Although I havent done anything with contact shadows myself so cannot comment on that side of things.

4. keeponshading

keeponshading

I did same journey this week.
    For now it s really time consuming to migrate an existing complex HDRP scene to the 2019.3 betas.

The fastest way for me was to generate an empty HDRP project with the construction scene and the apply all the steps described in the docu.

All raytracing effects you get to work in 5min.
    Contact Shadows are buggy in +2019.3.0b4.
    Also area light raytraced shadows.

Then import your test stuff via package from another hdrp project and drag your stuff from your scene to the construction scene.

This worked in all my cases.

There is heavy move under the hood.
    So every editor and hdrp package update has some breaking changes.

5. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

Round #42. Let's maybe try path tracing first since it didn't work last try.

New Unity Project -> HDRP..
    1. Window -> Render Pipeline -> HDRP+DXR -> FIXALL, editor restarts.
    2. Set #define. Does its importing thing.
    3. Volume -> Add RT Env
    4. Weird, I went to check my Project settings -> default hdrp frame settings for camera to make sure RT was on, it is, but it's also greyed out. Haven't seen that before.
    5. Check HD Render Pipline Wizard, I have issues now with 'asset configuration', 'diffusion profile', 'screen space shadow', 'dxr not activated' and 'dxr resources' again.. *FIX ALL*
    6. Now RT isn't greyed out, of course. But I guess the first fix all didn't work? I did see all green last time I did it. Was only a few steps ago!
    7. My RT Env that I added was gone? It let me add it even though RT was disabled. FIX ALL maybe did that? I just did that too..So add RT env again to volume
    8. Add Path Tracing Override..enable..black scene in editor but the camera appears to be rendering it properly, but only when paused. If I press play, I only see basically white light and a few outlines of the background.. see diff in screenshot..
    Screenshot (93).png Screenshot (94).png
    9. Pressed pause and play twice. Now editor is showing path tracing properly. Camera is showing it properly paused.
    And as soon as I took a screen shot it went black in the editor again.
    Screenshot (95).png Screenshot (96).png
    10. Checked a few things, noticed static batching was on. Pressed play again and now the camera is path tracing. The editor is still black. I've had path tracing looking good before, but, changing samples and stuff isn't making it look good. Very noisy. Have to start a new post for more uploads..

Attached Files:

6. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

Time consuming to do ANYTHING dxr apparently. I've been trying to just get the demo scene looking good for longer than it took me to get most of the framework for my whole last game up and running (thanks to some good asset store assets back then.. track+physics+car model=racing game? lol)

7. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

Let's move on from path tracing for now..

Let's try some recursive rendering. seems to work. Super reflective though? Even without r/t reflections?

If I set all materials to RayTrace, it seems like the contact shadows maybe, start to flash. Oh and editor is blacknass.
    Screenshot (99).png Screenshot (106).png Screenshot (105).png

Tried SMAA because it helped flashing shadows before when I was using TAA and editor is black.

I think I'm gonna try a reboot and smacking my computer around...because I don't think there's anyway it should be THIS wack.

8. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

Just noticed before my reboot.. if I disable bloom, my editor is not black no more..!

Scene looks really wierd almost if I have recursive rendering and rt gi on

Attached Files:

9. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

I just loaded up 2020.1.0a8 to test with and no tier 3 (I guess that makes sense from what you said) and Pathtracing seems to be gone completely from the overrides. The docs clearly show 3 tiers, describe each tier and say that Tier 3 is required for path tracing.

I've had it working as well, just doesn't always seem to want to work. I updated my GPU drivers again, I had got 436.02 somehow instead of 436.48..

But where did pathtracing go? lol

10. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

Hmm.. I guess 2020.1.0a8 is using 7.0.1 of HDRP -> older verison even ? didn't think that'd be the case :/

11. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

Thanks, I hadn't read every post in this thread but I'll give that a shot.

12. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

ot but just wanna say thats an interesting looking game :)

Pyromuffin likes this.
  13. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

GTX 2018 TI? Either that's a massive typo or you have some graphics card I've never heard of ;)

14. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

Not sure if bug/known:

If I do FIX ALL on the Wizard before setting the #define to 1, it breaks a bunch of still and I have to fix all again.

Maybe I'm just doing things in the wrong order, but I wanted to mention it.

15. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

And I'm not sure what happened - it worked once - but now changing the sample value for path tracing does nothing. It always looks like 1 sample.

Docs say:

Path tracing shares the general requirements and setup as other ray tracing effects, so for information on hardware requirements and set up, see getting started with ray tracing. The only difference is that you need to set the Ray Tracing Tier to 3.

Also, if I set min depth above 1, game view goes black. Scene is black with gridlines. This is on 7.1.2?

16. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

This is an interesting one:
    Scene view is 'superimposing' itself on game view?

I turned off path tracing and added a RT GI override and enabled it. Turned on the denoiser.

I truly don't understand why I'm having so many problems..? I have no other issues with my PC. Win10 1809 17763.805 / RTX 2060 / 436.48 / Unity 2019.3.0b6 / HDRP 7.1.2 ? Haven't had any issues with any other RTX/DXR stuff I've tried.

Like this is totally weird, I can move the scene view around and it updates instantly in the 'ghost' on the game view. Turning on both denoisers makes it almost invisible though.

Now I just pressed stop, and the camera view superimposed onto the scene view!

Attached Files:

17. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

Started a new scene and having the same issue without updating to 7.1.2 (the ghosting/superimposing of the scene onto the camera and vice versa)

Interestingly enough, when editing camera settings, it does not show up in the live camera preview (while playing) that shows over the scene view, but still shows on the camera view..ALSO the level of ghosting 'fades' out when highlighting a camera (and thus the camera preview being shown)

Screenshot (112).png Screenshot (113).png

This is with only RT GI enabled. No adjustments.

Moving window off screen and back causes it to disappear until mouseup, sizing window causes it to disappear until mouseup.

18. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

Unity hates me.

Literally start a new project and touch NOTHING and it pops up screwy, haven't even touched a single setting let alone DXR stuff!

Screenshot (114).png

I would honestly think there was something wrong if my PC if other stuff didn't work fine.

19. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

Hi Seb,
    I mean that ray traced GI doesn't work I when set the emission property to anything that isn't a constant, in shader graph.
    In this simple graph, I am multiplying the vertex color by some set value, and I get no RT GI from this object at all. It does work if I convert this into an emissive map texture and apply that to object, but doing this is not simple, especially if I am trying to do animation of the emissive value in shader graph.

upload_2019-10-13_23-50-47.png

below, the left object has a constant emissive value set in the shader graph and it emits RT GI, and the object on the right has the shader graph shown above, and does not emit any GI (though you can see bloom).
    upload_2019-10-13_23-54-5.png

20. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

[editagain: seems like 4k is up now]

hopefully this can show some of the issues I've been having, primarily with path tracing not working for me (it worked once kinda, but changing samples does nothing now) and RT GI having the superimposing issue.

I hope it's readable, I use triple monitors (2x1680x1050 and 1x1920x1080) and recorded all 3 how I normally would dev, had to scale it down to 4096xwhatever because nvenc doesn't allow for above 4096 pixels wide.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  21. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

GitHub shows a version 8.0.0 but the changelog doesn't show 7.1.2? just goes 7.1.1 > 8.0.0

22. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Here it's important to know how Unity does SRP versioning, basically every major Unity version will get it's own SRP version so there are multiple SRP majors being updated in parallel. How it basically goes is that you are supposed to use:

8.x SRPs with 2020.1
    7.x SRPs with 2019.3/.4 LTS
    6.x SRPs with 2019.2
    5.x SRPs with 2019.1
    4.x SRPs with 2018.3/.4 LTS

Do note that while master is on 8.x atm, there are also 7.x.x branches on github, I think newest of these is https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/tree/release/7.1.x

23. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

I did read that.. But 2020.1.0a8 is running 7.0.1 out of the box..?

Simple way to clone 8.0 into it or something? wanted to try and see if my issues went away..
    edit: cloned repo, pointed manifests.json to it..works..maybe..? seems to be importing a LOT?
    -> OK that did not work at all :( Modules did show 8.0.0 but didn't wanna work, lots of errors..? And the wizard looked like the older verision? is like 8.0.0 like 7.0.0 maybe and not newer than 7.1.2 then? still a little confused on versioning

I also noticed that: my super-imposing GI issue does NOT happen when the editor is configured in it's "default" way with the camera/game view being a tab in the same area as the scene view (thus only one showing at a time) .. but that doesn't seem like an 'efficient' way to work especially with multiple monitors/lots of screen space?

24. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

This happens a lot initially when things haven't drifted too far apart. Even 8.0 can run some feats on 2019.3 atm but there could be things that will just break also. For a long time you could also run 5.x on 2019.2 etc but this isn't by design afaik. Basically the version bumps just ensure that Unity can put new APIs in use for the next version, whenever it is reasonable for them, it doesn't mean it'll happen immediately for all things :)

25. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

Still playing around.. updated to b7, path tracing still didn't work at first..randomly it's working right now in my project (well, it seemed to always 'work' just wouldn't accept any different sample values.. now it is)

26. forbidd3n3ra

forbidd3n3ra

So I was able to load the "Real Materials" scene posted here.. That looks great..renders fine..I was also getting somewhere in a test scene earlier..but still having the superimposing problem..not seeing it in this more complex scene though I don't think..even path tracing was working..And I didn't do anything different than how I've been doing it..except now I'm on b7 which is still running 7.1.2 in that case (and real materials)..except I know some things I'm seeing have to be bugs..

27. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi,
    i need some help

in the
    Unity DXR Experimental 2019.2.0a5
    i used

Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline;
    3. //...
    4. HDRenderPipeline hdPipeline = RenderPipelineManager.currentPipeline as HDRenderPipeline;
    5.         if (hdPipeline != null)
    6.         {
    7.             hdPipeline.m_RayTracingManager.ReevaluateLightLists();
    8. //...
    9.         }
    after i changed the lighting setup through enable/disable of light sources.

in
    Unity 2019.3.b7
    HDRP 7.1.2

the ray tracing manager is now a private member of the hd render pipeline and there is only

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition;
    2. //...
    3. hdPipeline.UpdateRayTracingSubScenes();
    4. //...
    available.

Is there a function with similar functionality to ReevaluateLightLists() available?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  28. keeponshading

keeponshading

I have another issue with the LightCluster override.
    After applying it to an volume and saving the scene it gets deleted from the scene.

I did lot of tests with several scenes but i cannot reproduce it.

29. Scribbler_

Scribbler_

I finally got some time to do a 'ground truth' test against an offline renderer. I'm sure lots of people have done something similar, but it's interesting to post the results. I also feel I might be missing something about the intended behaviour of the different DXR features (GI, SSR, AO, etc.), as well as the new 'Physical Sky' model.

I used an example scene from the 'Asian Residential' Snaps pack, and rendered it in both Unity DXR and Modo's native renderer. Each Unity render was VERY different in luminance, so has been graded to roughly match the Modo output.

To match Modo's unclamped physical sun + sky, the directional (sun)light in Unity has been set to 100,000 Lux. I was expecting to have to set the exposure on the Physical sky to either 1 or >10 to match, but a setting of 3 looked roughly correct. I don't fully understand why this would be the case.

'Ground Truth' Modo render:

Unity DXR Test 1: Single Bounce GI, distance 50, clamp 10.

Unity DXR Test 2: Three Bounce GI

Unity DXR Test 3: GI with Raytraced reflections
    Now it's starting to look promising, though the large flat surfaces have gradients towards the top that aren't motivated by anything in the scene.

Unity DXR Test 4: GI + Raytraced Reflections + 50% Raytraced Ambient Occlusion
    Strictly, AO is a subset of GI, so both should NOT be needed (or used) in a scene at the same time. However, the GI solution didn't provide the occlusion I would expect to see in the sharp internal corners, so 50% AO (intensity 0.5) looked to be a visual improvement.

Setting AO to intensity 1 (100%) as well as 'Direct lighting strength' to 1 starts to look over-occluded, though.

The AO / GI issue is even more obvious with an organic/nature scene:

Raytraced GI only:

Raytraced GI + Raytraced reflections:

Raytraced GI + Reflections + 50% Raytraced AO

GI + Reflections + 100% AO
    (Visually I prefer this version, though have GI AND AO isn't physically accurate)

GliderGuy, newguy123, Elecman and 3 others like this.
  30. Scribbler_

Scribbler_

Addition, because it looks like I hit the maximum number of images in a post:

And finally, GI + Reflections + AO with 'Direct Lighting = 1'
    This looks over-occluded, and not any kind of improvement.

Definitely feels like I'm missing something. Is this expected behaviour, or behaviour that going to change in future? The results of DXR are a significant visual step forward, but I'd like to be able to match the look of an offline render solution.

31. Rowlan

Rowlan

When add the Ray Tracing Environment component (Unity 2019.3.0b7) I get a black screen which is most probably caused by this error in the console:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRaytracingManager.UpdateFrameData () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@7.1.1/Runtime/RenderPipeline/Raytracing/HDRaytracingManager.cs:351)
    3. UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline.Render (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@7.1.1/Runtime/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs:1089)
    Code part:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // If AO is on flag its RAS needUpdate
    2. // if (rtEnv.raytracedAO)
    3. {
    4.   HDRayTracingSubScene currentSubScene = RequestSubScene(rtEnv.aoLayerMask);
    5.   currentSubScene.needUpdate = true; <====== currentSubScene is null
    6. }
    7. ...
    8. public HDRayTracingSubScene RequestSubScene(LayerMask layerMask)
    9. {
    10.    HDRayTracingSubScene currentSubScene = null;
    11.    if (m_SubScenes.TryGetValue(layerMask.value, out currentSubScene))
    12.    {
    13.        return currentSubScene.valid ? currentSubScene : null;
    14.    }
    15.    return null;
    16. }

Any hint about how to fix it, i. e. how / where do I set the aoLayerMask of rtEnv?

32. elbows

elbows

I cannot give you a proper answer, but I notice from your error messages that you are on version 7.11 of HDRP etc. You should probably update to 7.1.2 via the package manager as a first step.

33. keeponshading

keeponshading

The DXR implementation is optimized towards single bounce, single sample with lots of trickery to deliever a “pleasant" result at interactive framerates.
    Here some overview about the jittered approximations which are nice.

So when you so limit an production renderer like VRAY Cycles or Blender to deoised 1 sample and 1 bounce and you simplify the diffuse, glossy, transparent .... ray calculation the same way its done here you will get a comparable output at comparable speed on same hardware to an offline render.

An common path traced offline render preset for FullGI runs 128 bounces for all LightPaths and you need roughly 2000 samples. With an good denoiser like oidn roughly 512 samples. With the latest RTX optimisation in cycles you get around 1 frame in 2min for the Fontainebleau scene 1920x1080 which is as fast as Octane and VRAY.

To allow better comparison with an offline render you should also avoid to use AO because it is not existing there.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  34. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thanks, I already tried that and it didn't help. Same problem.

35. elbows

elbows

Ah. Its probably something basic missing from your setup, but because I havent had that exact error myself I cannot point you straight to the cause.

I can say that they changed that part of the system in 7.1.3, as per the changelog:

• DXR: Remove the Ray Tracing Environement Component. Add a Layer Mask to the ray Tracing volume components to define which objects are taken into account for each effect.
    7.1.3 isnt finished yet, but it is on github if you dont mind trying an in-development version:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/tree/release/7.1.x

Alternative approaches:

How have you setup your project & scene? Did you follow documentation starting from a blank project, or an existing one of your own, or one someone else offered, or the Unity sample project? Have you gone through all the HDRP Wizard checks for main tab and RT tab? How did you create the Ray Tracing Environment Component, eg did you use the menu option to create it, or use the default RT scene that the HDRP wizard can create, or did you attach the component to an existing gameobject? Do you have RT AO setup in your scene?

The Unity sample project I mentioned is here:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing

Lex4art likes this.
  36. keeponshading

keeponshading

Is there a way to see how many acceleration structures are build/updatet and which RT implementations share parts of the acceleration structures or create new ones if i
    • enable/disable Raytracing in the Volume overrides
    • change the layers in the HD Raytracing environment per RT effect
    Without is pretty hard to optimize a scene.

37. freenomon

freenomon

Does Unity 2020.1 a9 now supports DXR Raytraced GI with skeletal skinned meshes with deformation? I really want to use GI with my fbx imported characters with facial and body mocap!

38. Rowlan

Rowlan

I was using Forest Environment HDRP and set that one up with the wizard and the online instructions. The Ray Tracing Environment Component was created using the menu option. RT AO is set up. Other than that when I create a new project, everything works.

I'll just wait for the next version and if it still happens, I'll debug it. Thanks for your help!

keeponshading likes this.
  39. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

The problem you seem to have is with the vertex color. If the input of the emission is a texture (for instance) it works just fine.

upload_2019-10-18_18-21-24.png

40. Pyromuffin

Pyromuffin

Yep, emission textures work - as I stated in that post. Its not just vertex color though. Set emission to sine(time), and it also wont work. I've been digging around in the shaderpass code for raytracing, but I'm getting lost trying to find where the shader graph code gets injected. Is it in the light-loop evaluation code? or does it all happen before this, filling out the "builtin data" struct?

41. Scribbler_

Scribbler_

Thanks for posting the video - I hadn’t seen that before. Unless I missed something, it doesn’t really cover my issue, though.

I understand (or nearly understand) a lot of the sacrifices that are made to hit interactive frame rates. What I’m trying to figure out is why I seem to require both AO AND GI, when strictly speaking I should only use/need one of them.

The tree assets in my second example are the most obvious - without both raytracing solutions combined they look pretty unconvincing. With the (entirely physically implausible) combination they look pretty good.

42. neoshaman

neoshaman

sendspace likes this.
  43. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. The use of additional raytracing in different scenarios like car, archviz, nature.... will be very artistic and you should not expect or compare results from raster/raytracing hybrids you get via path tracing.

Here some other nice deck. The 2035 is pretty realistic for realtime path tracing.)
    Then you can expect same results.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yGWMBCRMKOZwJCWQ6e9HkDjVRz9CkYp8/view

Up to then....
    you have to pick for every scenario a special method and run them on special layers and trickery to hold playable or interactive framerate.)

Lot s of nice stuff also here. In special the callenges starting around 80....
    (84 for Partial Coverage)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kNzbQ7oglYQGrZz32355wU-KoizUwhqb/view

and this one
    https://devblogs.nvidia.com/rtx-best-practices/

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Lex4art likes this.
  44. keeponshading

keeponshading

I recently found a warning.

"No script asset for LightCluster. Check that the definition is in a file of the same name and that it compiles properly"

So you can create an Light Cluster Volume override but i disappears after "some time", from saved scene.

Unity 2019.3.0b7
    HDRP 7.0.2

45. elbows

elbows

Rowlan, keeponshading and Lex4art like this.
  46. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

The time issue has been fixed and we are looking into the vertex color one.

47. liskajp

liskajp

Having a strange issue where there seem to be a discrepancy/warping on surface reflections that don't correspond with the mesh of the reflective surface. Can't seem to track down what's causing this but when moving the mesh/camera, the warped areas seem to remain in one place on the mesh.
    Projection view.png Projection mesh.png

48. Lex4art

Lex4art

I did a test on the reflective sphere - seems fine (Unity 2019.3b8, left image is Tier 2 and the right one is Tier 1):
    Ray traced reflections on the sphere Tier 2.jpg Ray traced reflections on the sphere.jpg
    Reflections on your sphere object looks way too sharp and noise free to be ray traced, though. Or is it just me? )

Upd: did an attempt to create a new project with Unity 2019.3b8 and raytracing - seems that it comes with old HDRP 7.1.1 and updating on 7.1.2 brings random problems (ray traced global illumination not working and so on). Brrr, just didn't get it - old project that was set in previous version of unity (2019.3b6) has working raytraced GI/reflecitons after updating on 2019.3b8, but freshly created has troubles...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    keeponshading likes this.
  49. liskajp

liskajp

It's ray traced, it's just reflecting off a very close, very high resolution object texture, and at a very low frame rate to boot, since this application need not be real-time.

Hmm, I'll see if I can re-create this bug in an older version then.

50. liskajp

liskajp

So I was able to reproduce the artifacting with an ico sphere (attached). Even the default Unity sphere is blocky, however it doesn't have the same obvious irregularities. (also attached). ico projection view.png default sphere projection view.png

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
unityunity