Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity Experimental HDRP DXR

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by SebLagarde, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

athosrojas is not error...is updated HDRP Core . That I noticed when I open old RTX scene in new Unity. Just follow Wizard fix option.

2. athosrojas

athosrojas

its all ok with wizard, what i want to do more???

Attached Files:

3. athosrojas

athosrojas

about my 360 render tests with dxr raytracing, decrease clamp values on global ilumination and increase range of denoise helped, but still unusable , the funy factor is on both windows( scene and game ) are totaly denoised now. but the render out is totaly noised. i will make more tests with monoscopic and with all supersampling options * TAA, FXAA etc

4. athosrojas

athosrojas

looks like denoise is turned off when recorder start rec frames. cause is totaly denoised and clean on both windows. totalyclean.jpg noise.jpg

5. athosrojas

athosrojas

I really miss enlight realtime :( but i need a descent SSS shader, and the best one for legacy pipeline get distorcions when render 360

6. m0nsky

m0nsky

Edit
    Nevermind, I posted some questions but I figured both out.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  7. wenzy

wenzy

The raytracing works well in 2020 version. But In the 2021-1.04a , I have use the HDRP wizard to setup everything. And enable the raytracing feature in the HDRP asset. Add the global volume and enable the Screen Space Global illumination. But it's still not work.( Path tracing is ok)
    Could someone give some advices? thank u

8. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

wenzy check HDRP default setting is there Ray-tracing ON. Also in new Unity they change a bit system GI.

9. athosrojas

athosrojas

better you got a print screen. cause, i do the same and still getting errors for raytracing dxr , like the guy sayed path tracing is ok but realtime dxr not all raytracing features give error msgs. its just dont working

10. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

It can be that he has Path Tracing but only with ray-tracing mode (no GI , only reflection/blur). But without screenshots is only guessing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  11. Mark_29

Mark_29

@Janusz_Biela , @wenzy (for alpha 1.0a4)

It seems as though the new alpha is buggy - I installed it and and found similar problems. At first, it won't allow you to turn on RTX settings, they are greyed out, then if you restart and mess with settings they eventually allow you turn it on after a restart - however the compilation errors don't clear and will not allow for Ray trace reflections or indirect diffuse.

I can pretty much re-create it every time on a new project (have tried 3 new clean projects, and converted an old one, all the same issue)

@wenzy - if you really want to work on on the alpha I would try the previous version or wait until the next one

wenzy and athosrojas like this.
  12. athosrojas

athosrojas

i post the print screens with the errors you dont see?

13. athosrojas

athosrojas

its amazing how unity release totaly unusable releases. lol. they say " raytracing get improvements for 2x more fast" you go test and raytrace give you a console error like a bad made asset script from asset store.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  14. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

athosrojas there must be issue with something. I use latest Alpha and it looks like is the best release of DXR !
    Please post:
    - yours hardware specification
    - some screenshot errors
    - screenshot of your DXR settings (volume)

15. wenzy

wenzy

Thank u for your reply. I have tried that but still not work. I can sure the volume settings are correct

The is the only issue on the Console.

Please fix all the compilation errors for Ray Tracing Shader "RaytracingIndirectDiffuse"!
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

athosrojas likes this.
  16. athosrojas

athosrojas

i got the same for any DXR feature. ambient occlusion. ( like is on my print screen) for GI , for reflections, but i can run without raytrace, at this way i dont get any errors and get 2x speed up. ( with raytracing off )

17. MS80

MS80

I've the same issue here: Unity 2021.1.0a4, HDRP template converted to DXR

18. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

If this is some project you upgraded from older HDRP version do exit the editor, wipe the project's library folder to clear old cached shaders and start the project again. HDRP can often get random issues on shaders like reported here when you upgrade HDRP but don't clear the old cache manually.

19. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

Hmm that`s strange. I just open my Studio Scene in new Alpha 2021.0a4 and everything works smooth....
    image_2020-11-10_00-45-06.png image_2020-11-10_00-33-23.png image_2020-11-10_00-33-55.png image_2020-11-10_00-34-09.png image_2020-11-10_00-44-15.png

Slaghton, m0nsky, Lex4art and 2 others like this.
  20. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

Other renders
    image_2020-11-10_00-51-33.png image_2020-11-10_00-47-12.png image_2020-11-10_00-49-44.png

m0nsky and sqallpl like this.
  21. m0nsky

m0nsky

Looks amazing @Janusz_Biela , very clean.
    Mind sharing your post processing settings? (if you use any)

22. wenzy

wenzy

I have tried both ways.(Update from an old project or create a new project.) This issue is still exist. And the error message always come out when I enable the Screen Space Global Illumination om Volume.
    Also I have tried to remove the HDRP10.1.0 from package manager and reinstall it but not work
    Amazing!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    athosrojas likes this.
  23. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

I use my own post processing (off line CPU system) nothing fancy just my own Curve and color correction for shadows, mid shadows and bright area.

m0nsky likes this.
  24. newguy123

newguy123

What am I missing here? Both those are enabled in the frame settings for the camera in my project settings, however the warnings dont go away:

upload_2020-11-10_20-38-31.png

Unity 2021.1.0a4 and HDRP 11.0.0
    upload_2020-11-10_20-39-43.png

25. Lex4art

Lex4art

Probably those settings are not activated. Note that there will be more than one HDRP quality profile (for High, Medium and Low settings) and each one needed those checkerboxes enabled:
    More HDRP settings for ray tracing to be enabled.png

26. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

m0nsky ...here..like you see is very basic. But I use my own Curve and color balance because this what offers Unity is to much drifting for architecture renders. You can notice "old school system" color balancing with crossing shadows/highlights system.
    img_002.png

27. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

To Unity coders: latest Alpha is really the best version of DXR so far.
    Three big issues:
    - in pure Path Tracing not working double side surfaces - other stuff: Perfect!
    - still GI background in standard denoise system is broken (in pure PT works as should be)...I know this is difficult part of Global Illumination to deal with it....so still I must use Area Light outside interior to simulate background GI.
    - There is limit distance visibility for Recursive Rendering (Preview). So if I want make background which is far from scene and Exclude it from GI it disappear (or I do not know how to setup it :D):
    - this is not issue: scene in reflection surfaces is much better than a few months ago...would be nice a little bit improve it (like poor quality GI or support AO)
    img_004.png

28. Mark_29

Mark_29

It might be worth noting these are "alpha" releases - not even beta releases. You should expect bugs.....
    Alpha releases are there to allow us to try new features early and report issues and bugs so they can be fixed for major releases

m0nsky likes this.
  29. Mark_29

Mark_29

To the devs or anyone else.

Attached are the settings I am using for new projects - I have not had any issues with DXR until this release (alpha 04)

I have these errors if I create a new project or convert an old one

Settings.jpg

Update - still getting the same issue in Alpha 5

update 2- for anyone else having this issue, it might get solved by re-importing the RT (raytrace file) . Click on the error in the console to navigate to the file, right click and re-import.

I am not sure why it forces you to does this, but it seems to have fixed the issue - you will have to do this for each raytrace file (GI, reflection, renderer, subsurface, pathtracing and AO)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  30. DGordon

DGordon

Any eta on when dx12 wont be slower than dx11? Id love to play with this for one of my projects (procedural world), however its also not worth cutting my fps from 70s to 30s even with ray tracing disabled which is what happened last time I checked a while ago (very new high end alienware laptop, so if that happens for my machine ... I can only imagine more normal specs).

31. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Can we have some overview about the plans or roadmap
    from

Screen Space Global Illumination
    vs
    Screen Space Global Illunination Ray Tracing (Preview)
    vs
    DDGI (RTXGI)

implementation.

The DDGI works best for me but it s not an official package.
    Is it possible to get an preview package who works with 10.2.0 +

Mark_29 likes this.
  32. Mark_29

Mark_29

Has 10.2.0 been released with alpha 5? its not in my list to upgrade via the package manager (or can I only get it through git which I have been trying to avoid)

33. wenzy

wenzy

Thank u. Reimport the raytrace file is working ! But compare to my older version. The speed didn't run as what I expect . Actually . It has had the opposite effect , the framerate is slower than before . Wierd~

34. Lex4art

Lex4art

Does anybody know about HDRP 10.2/10.3/11.0 ray tracing support for new AMD videocards (RX 6800 and up)?

35. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Unity uses something that's not in DX12 DXR spec? I'd assume things to just work.

Lex4art likes this.
  36. Lex4art

Lex4art

Almost there! )

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  37. keeponshading

keeponshading

Dynamic D/N and the screen center cursor logic. Wow.

Do you use Raytraced Screen Space Global Illumination Performance Mode and Physically Based Sky Standard from Standard HDRP 10.2.0?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  38. Lex4art

Lex4art

Both yes (but there are hotkeys for different ray tracing presets (up to GI qualtiy mode and path tracing) & script to auto-detect optimal preset on first run).

keeponshading likes this.
  39. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

That is really good, great job!

The visual quality of ray tracing seems to satisfy for your program's ambitions.

Lex4art likes this.
  40. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know a solution to export renderered image sequences with Path Tracing? I was wondering if raytracing was production-ready but I did not find any way to export an image sequences for the moment.

Is Path Tracing the only way to enable raytracing in Unity? Path Tracing is not realtime and I thought games could do raytracing in realtime in Unity too. I don't get it from the doc.

Thank you!

41. keeponshading

keeponshading

Check the Small Office Raytracing Demo
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing

There you can enable/disable these raytracing overrides.

image (13) (1).png

and here an older overview which of these dxr raytracing techniques are used in actual games and demos...

NVIDIA-RTX-2.jpg

You also could enable Unitys Path Tracing in an Volume override
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...ion@10.2/manual/Ray-Tracing-Path-Tracing.html

and use Unity Recorder
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.recorder@2.0/manual/index.html
    to export image sequences.

For better understanding of path tracing and bidirectional path tracing see
    https://graphics.pixar.com/library/PathTracedMovies/paper.pdf

DXR Raytracing here
    http://www.realtimerendering.com/raytracinggems/unofficial_RayTracingGems_v1.7.pdf

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    GeniusKoala likes this.
  42. Mark_29

Mark_29

Its definitely not production ready as it is in alpha/beta.

If its the real time raytracing you are looking for (not pure path tracing), you can use the raytracing volumes as highlighted in keeponshadings link (raytraced GI, AO, reflection etc) . I recommend a gfx card of 2080ti and above to have a good experience in learning and authoring RTX though - Anything lower is frustrating.

Image sequences - Unity recorder can help with that (can be accessed via the package manager in the most recent alpha build (7))

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    GeniusKoala likes this.
  43. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

I am sitting on the latest ALPHA (2021.1.0a7): THE BEST DXR VERSION since beginning ! :) You can use it without any worry.
    ...I see just right now appear 0a8 version....must check it.

44. newguy123

newguy123

Have you tried the latest HDRP from Git together with alpha 0a7, or you're just using the one that ships with 0a7?

45. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

46. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

That's weird! When I enable Path Tracing I have to hold my mouse click to make the loading bar continue. I work on a RTX2060. A friend work on the same project with a 2080Ti and does not have this problem. The bar is loading by itself for him! Do you guys already meet this situation?

47. m0nsky

m0nsky

Are you in play mode?

48. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Nope I'm working only in Editor mode. I just play the Timeline via the interface. When I enter PlayMode the loading is correctly done... I was just wondering if my situation had a fix since both my coworker and I need the same pipeline to work. Also we are just trying to port our project to raytracing and we are just so close to achieve it!

For people looking for a way to record with Path Tracing, this documentation looks very useful !

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...high-definition@10.0/manual/Accumulation.html

keeponshading likes this.
  49. m0nsky

m0nsky

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Graphics/pull/2798#issuecomment-738792279

I noticed a comment by Remi here about the RTGI upscaling possibly getting removed. I just wanted to say that I make heavy use of upscaling (it's required imho), even modified my local branch to go up to 8x upscaling in low light because that's where the blue noise gets us in trouble more.

Here's a daylight example, I think it would be bad if we'd be forced to the 2x situation.

RTGI 2x upscaling

RTGI 4x upscaling

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    chap-unity, Lex4art and fuzzy3d like this.
  50. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

There is no plan to remove the RTGI Upscale, it is just a comment on a PR.

Lex4art and m0nsky like this.