Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity Experimental HDRP DXR

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by SebLagarde, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

In Path Tracing when I have glass surface it looks like I get limit range with render distance.
    Background is simple sphere with map on it. In Interpolated mode is ok.
    You can see when I increase size of this sphere it disappear through glass. When glass from window is OFF then is ok.
    I have to put really close this sphere to see surface.
    Where can be problem?
    PT.gif

2. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

I finish this scene.
    My observations:
    - a lot improvements in HDRP 10.x
    - better Path Tracing compatibility with standard system
    - finally better DoF engine!
    - transparency works better with different layers (windows glass) + SSR !
    - I feel faster working whole system (better GI/reflection sampling? or placebo...) I use less samples than previous version to get better result.
    - better reflection (still no GI in reflection) but looks better

Latest beta 2020:
    image_2020-10-08_16-17-37.png image_2020-10-08_16-11-19.png image_2020-10-08_16-11-42.png image_2020-10-08_16-14-02.png image_2020-10-08_16-15-23.png

charlesb_rm, OCASM, LostPanda and 5 others like this.
  3. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

4. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

5. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies

6. newguy123

newguy123

Updated the the latest 10.x GIT and using 2020.2b6, and getting these erros on an empty project (well not empty, the HDRP template scene converted to DXR)

How do I get rid of those or fix it?

upload_2020-10-9_17-37-40.png

7. Lex4art

Lex4art

Ugh, implementing those runtime gizmos & other build stuff is harder than I thought:

Still there are some things to fix...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  8. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, we don't experience this. We have removed the cloud layer recently, so I expect you have a problem locally, either you have files that haven't been removed correctly or you have problem with package cache?

9. newguy123

newguy123

Will the cloud layer be coming back in a different form at some point?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    sqallpl likes this.
  10. copperrobot

copperrobot

This looks great! Can you run through your emissive light settings? I don't seem to be able to get it working outside of path tracing.

11. Lex4art

Lex4art

Thanks ). Here they are:
    Emissive settings HDRP v10.1.jpg

12. copperrobot

copperrobot

13. copperrobot

copperrobot

Hey, tried those, but still only getting a glowy sphere, rather than one that lights up the scene.

This is with RT on quality and all the rest.

Would you have time to provide a project to test? It can be basically empty, except for an object to demonstrate? I really appreciate anything you can do. This has been driving me crazy for weeks.

14. Lex4art

Lex4art

Here it is (Unity 2020.2b6 project using default HDRP 10.0.0.27preview, but it will work same way with HDRP 10.1+ if needed).

copperrobot likes this.
  15. copperrobot

copperrobot

Thanks! Really appreciate it.

16. Lex4art

Lex4art

A week ago a kind soul removed this 50 m range limit for ray-tracing and that is awesome by itself ). To stretch this limit before fix arrived I did downscale my scenes 10 times and added a layer of complexity to my scripts to deal with that. But when I removed all coding related to this issue & return scenes to their original scale I've noticed tremendous quality loss for denoiser - here are comparison shots:
    1. Day time - normal object scale 1.0
    Day example - normal scale.jpg
    2. Day time - scene objects downscaled 10x (AO saves the day here, without it image looks smooth but flat, no small details).
    Day example - downscale 10 times.jpg
    3. Night time - normal objects scale 1.0
    Night emissives example - normal scale.jpg
    4. Night time - scene objects downscaled 10x
    Night emissives example - downscale 10x.jpg

Seems there are some kind of cascades for denosier that looks much better at close range and goes postal at the distance... so, a feature request - a slider to control those cascades ratio or something, without downscale scene objects 10 times denoiser gives really poor results at distance (and for emissives it's not usable at all, at least at night)... Please ).

Note that then you downscale scene 10 times there a price (small details are smoothed out by GI almost completely, but ray traced AO helps to return some of those; also GI filter radius "0.3" becomes something like "3.0" and there is a lot of light leaking through walls because of that. But anyway - better then insane noise).

P.S. Probably this will help in this problem too, to a degree...

P.S.S. Probably this feature request is all about "to have denoiser filter radius more than "1.0" for GI, up to "5.0" or so. Or it's about denoiser cascades...?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    newguy123 likes this.
  17. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

We removed the limit for the RTR and RTGI because it made sense. However for the denoiser, the problem is more complex than that. Simply exposing a higher denoiser radius is not a viable solution, we keep track of the problem you've reported and we'll tackle it eventually.

m0nsky and Lex4art like this.
  18. m0nsky

m0nsky

I've been experimenting with it for a while

Experimental-DXR denoiser (april 2019)
    Ported to the current HDRP/staging

HDRP/staging default denoiser
    You can get it to somewhat match the old denoiser, but even at low denoiser radius there will always be 'mismatched' coordinates visible which will increase according to the radius.

HDRP/staging modified denoiser
    Modifying the generated sample to get rid of mismatched pixels at a denoiser radius of 1.

However, the above modified version is "incorrect", would love to see an official solution for this.

Also, I noticed a parameter for camera relative ray tracing got added to the update method for the acceleration structure, but it seems like it's not using the update function and rebuilding the acceleration structure every frame. Is it just updating internally or actually rebuilding which is causing the high CPU frametimes? I read Metro Exodus has two BVHs, a TLAS (top level acceleration structure) which rebuilds, and a BLAS (bottom level acceleration structure) which uses impostor meshes and only updates. I wonder if we could automatically generate a BLAS with an impostor layer generated by a mesh simplifier using async jobs? :D

There's a lot of good info in here:
    https://developer.download.nvidia.c...ploring-ray-traced-future-in-metro-exodus.pdf

Another denoiser issue is that everything currently seems to be "waving", not just RTGI, but also the shadows. This has been posted before, but it seems like it's not just lagging/ghosting a bit "behind", but actually generating weird shapes here and there.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  19. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

20. CoredD

CoredD

It look like unity HDRP + DXR is not working well with dual-gpu with SLI enabled. It makes the editor completely crazy not drawing properly any windows. I tried different version (2020.2.b7 and 2019.4.6f1). If I disable the SLI in NVidia control panel then the problem disappear and unity run normally. Is there any settings I am missing or is it just a unity issue ?

21. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

CoredD SLI is maybe good solution for Maxwell or Octane but for Unity/Unreal simple is not worth. Also SLI has a lot limitations and coding problems.I suggest go to 3090 as single card. I am not sure how SLI will be supported in UNITY...probably not so much...too many problems to handle data between two cards.
    This is just my opinion and guess ....

CoredD likes this.
  22. Rowlan

Rowlan

23. Rowlan

Rowlan

the new hdrp default scene is really awesome. here's a little dragon from malbers in it

ld 1.jpg

is there some way to have the path tracer calculate longer? it kinda stopped with the glass and now it's a tad noisy

chap-unity, OCASM and valarnur like this.
  24. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

Rowlan Did you put maximum passes for PT? Lately, they increased amount of like over 4000 passes.

25. Rowlan

Rowlan

Oh, thank you! Gotta amp it up and re-render.

26. Onat-H

Onat-H

Whenever I enable any RT Effect in my volume I get the following error:
    NullReferenceException: Object refernce not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline.BuildRayTracingAccerlerationStrructure (UnityEngine.Rendering.HightDefinition.HDCamera hdCamera)

Does anyone have an idea? I'm on 10.1 from the package manager

27. Rowlan

Rowlan

Now this is odd:

* the Unity window must have the focus for the tracer to work, ie I can't browse the forums while it renders
    * when it has the focus, the tracer works but CPU is at 3%. GUP is 100%, so that's fine?

Is there a way to speed things up?

28. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's odd. It seems to give focus on the front parts while ignoring the background

ld 8.jpg

newguy123 likes this.
  29. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

Thats correct.
    Utilization of GPU sometimes goes up 100% which provoke lags in system and is normal. This is not gaming when most power of GPU is in idle mode.
    CPU is correct because whole job does GPU.

Rowlan likes this.
  30. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

please precise more where is problem.

Rowlan likes this.
  31. Rowlan

Rowlan

The wall here is rather noisy

wall.jpg

32. Rowlan

Rowlan

Re-did the scene from yesterday. By the way is there some way to path trace a game? I guess I have to pause it and let the renderer do its magic?

rt00.jpg
    rt01.jpg
    rt03.jpg
    rt04.jpg
    rt05.jpg

Ruchir, newguy123 and keeponshading like this.
  33. keeponshading

keeponshading

I did some prototype with vehicle physics pro because it has an replay function.
    You drive a round and then you can enable the pathtracer per volume on the recorded drive replay.
    It took 30h to finish the frames.)

But my target is to run 60fps on the .exe with all raytracing volume overides enabled in -dx12 mode. With lots of layering and on the volumes and by only raytracing the objects who are really needed per effect it is possible with new NVidia.

btw. Your second dragon shot remebered me on this nice island demo from mr f. The guy who did bakery.
    Check it out. Build Download also available in video description.

fuzzy3d likes this.
  34. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

Simple is dark there...needs more photons, that's why you see noise. Its normal in GI. You need more samples to clean up this region.

35. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

36. keeponshading

keeponshading

When you generate textured proxy geometrys for your high detailed geometry and you then raytrace GI against this proxy layer it s possible now too. It costs around 5fps on 2560x1440 resolution and a 2080 rtx. Full geometry around -25fps.

37. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

keeponshading propably yes but when scene is complex like many physical lights, reflection blur, transparency is simply impossible now.....just we must wait next 5 years :D

38. Lex4art

Lex4art

*it will be really interesting to see how a path-traced output + denoiser will perform XD*

chap-unity likes this.
  39. athosrojas

athosrojas

well after i read all the posts... ufff. i see no one talked about. so i will. using unity recorder to generate 360 images , the ai denoiser dont works. looks like the scene preview window where the denoiser its not active . i using unity 2020.1.10f1 with hdrp last production ready version . and RTX features like global ilumination and RTX ambient occlusion dont get denoised on recorded frames if i use raster ambient occlusion its ok. if turn off global illumination its ok too but when use all of it denoiser dont works. looks ok in game view but the rendered images looks totaly noised. for normal render its ok this problem is just for 360 rendered images.

newguy123 likes this.
  40. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

2020.2.0b9 is "broken" too many bugs...so I had to roll back to 2020.2.0b8
    - Background GI has issue (looks like ambient light) I think they leave that develop purposes in future
    - problems with refreshing GI (like sleeping DXR)
    All above probably for developing purposes that's why I said "broken"

41. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

I just fixed the shadow waving/ghosting/dancing issue, a PR will be there soon.

Lex4art, m0nsky, Rowlan and 2 others like this.
  42. athosrojas

athosrojas

some trick for who need to render 360 animations with DXR raytracing??? some app on unity store working? ahh
    render elements with recorder dont work with raytracing too , no depth pass , no AO pass etc.

43. athosrojas

athosrojas

i dont know if this is the place for that but , the fact is: in hdrp(any version) recorder dont generate stereoscopic images * i try with several 360 stereoscopic players like deo vr and gizmo vr (oculus rift versions ) and dont works, if i force the stereo using adobe premiere function vr projection i can get a stereo video from the unity recorder render but totaly wrong and exagerated.(if i use legacy pipeline the stereo render works ok) this and more ai denoiser dont working in 360 for dxr raytracing features. render passes dont working with dxr raytracing. global ilumination dont working with vegetation speed trees. global ilumination dont working with terrains... its much things dont working. for a real production enviroment its useless. maybe in one more year.

44. m0nsky

m0nsky

For anyone else wondering, the PR definitely solved the waving issues for RTGI/RTAO/shadows.

The acceleration structure does seem to choke heavily in the bistro scene, to the point switching all ray traced effects to half resolution doesn't even raise the framerate at all.

I tried combining meshes and separating meshes, it seems to perform the best with a lot of separate meshes (makes sense, but wanted to see it myself), so I think the only options are to make heavy use of impostor meshes or completely exclude things (acceleration structure culling?). Obviously you wouldn't want anything not in screen to disappear from ray traced effects, but I don't need a table or house in the next street in the acceleration structure either.

Edit
    If you don't dispose the RTAS in the next frame, but just update the transforms, without rebuilding, everything seems to stay working even if you move the camera, but you get twice the framerate. Does this mean there's a lot of performance to be gained for static objects?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Slaghton, auzaiffe, INedelcu and 5 others like this.
  45. athosrojas

athosrojas

well tested with unity 2019 LTS and hdrp 7 , recorder dont generate 360 stereo images. happen the same as 2020. legacy works all ok , beautyfull 360 stereoscopic. but hdrp noup. if i am post in wrong place plz point me for the correct place and feel free to move the posts. i posting here cause my main objective is use DXR raytracing to render 360 stereoscopic images. so i see cant use DXR for 360 cause ai denoiser dont happen in 360 rendered images and worst, dont generate stereoscopic render with DXR and without DXR. peace.

46. wenzy

wenzy

Very Nice! Looks so smooth. Are there all ray tracing? No baked lighting?

m0nsky likes this.
  47. m0nsky

m0nsky

Indeed, no baking.

wenzy likes this.
  48. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

wenzy, Lex4art, m0nsky and 1 other person like this.
  49. athosrojas

athosrojas

first excuses. unity recorder is generating yes 360 stereo. the problem is that I don’t find a player inside the oculus store that I recognize. the deo vr player needs to turn on an "alternative mode" to recognize the 3d stereo generated by unity, in adobe premiere in vr anaglyph mode i can clearly perceive the stereo generated by unity including increase in adobre premiere if necessary. any suggestions for a 360 video player in the oculus store that recognizes 360 stereo up down generated by unity ?? i posted on youtube 2 renders one normal video ( its all ok and looks good for me ) and one 360 stereo with totaly disable denoiser
    normal render ok

360 stereo with denoiser dont working

50. athosrojas

athosrojas

about my last post i solved the problem for 360 noised, was to much high clamp value. , i trying the new 2021.1.0a4 and getting compilation errors for RTX features how to solve it??