Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity Experimental HDRP DXR

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by SebLagarde, Apr 4, 2019.

1. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

>1. d3d12: generating mipmaps for array textures is not yet supported.
    >2. Assertion failed on expression: 'ValidTRS()'
    >UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Those are now issue and don't have any impact.
    1) is fixed in 2020.1, fix can't be backport but don't have any impact, it just prevent area light to not work correctly with Rasterization but works fine for DXR

2) Fix in progress but don't have any impact.

-----------

>2019.3.3f1, HDRP 7.1.8.

Could you try 2019.3.2f1 and HDRP 7.2.1 ? 7.1.8 is really behind 7.2.1, thanks

2. newguy123

newguy123

upload_2020-3-17_21-22-49.png

Finally managed to CLONE the git project with LFS support (I think)

I don't get it. Any of the scenes I open, look the same, and I dont see any models in the scene

So looks like its still running DirectX11. I'm now running the HD + DXR Wizard to fix all issues, but shouldnt the clone project already have all that done since its a clone?

3. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, weird, the project is setup DX12, I don't get why you have DX11 here. I just tested by cloning the repository and opening the project of the master branch and it is correctly setup to DX12.

4. newguy123

newguy123

upload_2020-3-17_21-50-36.png

Yeah I'm getting nowhere fast. Its now just looping through this the whole time without actually fixing anything

5. newguy123

newguy123

@SebLagarde could you maybe update the zipped version of the files so I can try and download those instead please. I suspect my whole git software install/cloning thing did not work as intended

6. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

If you use Github Desktop everything will be taken care of for you. After the repository is downloaded it will show a popup to initialize LFS and you just select yes and everything's good.

7. newguy123

newguy123

Nothing popped up after leaving it for a long time, even though it was saying the clone is already on 100%

8. valarnur

valarnur

https://www.khronos.org/blog/ray-tracing-in-vulkan
    Today the Khronos Vulkan Ray Tracing Task Sub Group (TSG) is announcing the public release of the provisional Vulkan Ray Tracing extensions. The Ray Tracing TSG was formed in early 2018 and tasked to bring a tightly integrated, cross-vendor, ray tracing solution to Vulkan, this release marks the culmination of the first phase of the TSG’s mandate.

What does this mean for Unity users?

sendspace and sqallpl like this.
  9. keeponshading

keeponshading

Thanks for the help.
    I will try the 2019.3.6 upgrade path too when available.
    After a longer journey i made it to HDRP 8.0.1 in Unity 2020.1.0b1.

2020_1_0b1.JPG

The build runs fine with little improved framerate.
    However. There are this errors spouted out.
    All raytracing features work. Toggles to Raytracing off, too.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'HDRP/Lit': Compilation failed [0x80004005 - Unknown error.] 'In file included from :992:
    2. In file included from ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/ShaderPass/ShaderPassPathTracing.hlsl:7:
    3. ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/PathTracing/Shaders/PathTracingLight.hlsl:53:15: warning: redefinition of 'i' shadows declaration in the outer scope; most recent declaration will be used
    4.    for (uint i = 0; i < _DirectionalLightCount && list.distantCount < MAX_DISTANT_LIGHT_COUNT; i++)
    5.              ^
    6. ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/PathTracing/Shaders/PathTracingLight.hlsl:38:15: note: previous definition is here
    7.    for (uint i = 0; i < localCount && list.localCount < MAX_LOCAL_LIGHT_COUNT; i++)
    8.              ^
    9. ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/PathTracing/Shaders/PathTracingLight.hlsl:178:28: warning: implicit truncation of vector type
    10.                SampleCone(inputSample, sqrt(saturate(1.0 - lightData.size.x / sqDist)), outgoingDir, pdf); // computes rcpPdf
    11.                           ^
    12. ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/PathTracing/Shaders/PathTracingLight.hlsl:210:24: warning: implicit truncation of vector type
    13.            SampleCone(inputSample, cos(lightData.angularDiameter * 0.5), outgoingDir, pdf); // computes rcpPdf
    14.                       ^
    15. ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/PathTracing/Shaders/PathTracingLight.hlsl:276:15: warning: redefinition of 'i' shadows declaration in the outer scope; most recent declaration will be used
    16.    for (uint i = 0; i < lightList.distantCount; i++)
    17.              ^
    18. ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/PathTracing/Shaders/PathTracingLight.hlsl:240:15: note: previous definition is here
    19.    for (uint i = 0; i < lightList.localCount; i++)
    20.              ^
    21. In file included from :992:
    22. In file included from ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/ShaderPass/ShaderPassPathTracing.hlsl:9:
    23. In file included from ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/Material/Lit/LitPathTracing.hlsl:2:
    24. ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/PathTracing/Shaders/PathTracingBSDF.hlsl:20:18: warning: implicit truncation of vector type
    25.    SampleGGXDir(inputSample, mtlData.V, localToWorld, roughness, outgoingDir, NdotL, NdotH, VdotH);
    26.                 ^
    27. ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/PathTracing/Shaders/PathTracingBSDF.hlsl:226:18: warning: implicit truncation of vector type
    28.    SampleGGXDir(inputSample, mtlData.V, localToWorld, roughness, outgoingDir, NdotL, NdotH, VdotH);
    29.                 ^
    30. error: validation errors
    31. at 0x1ba6e235ac8 inside block ?ComputeFadeMaskSeed@@YA?AV?$vector@I$01@@V?$vector@M$02@@V1@@Z.exit.i of function ?ClosestHit@@YAXURayIntersection@@UAttributeData@@@Z Opcode Discard not valid in shader model lib_6_3(closesthit)
    33. Validation failed.
    35. '
    37. Compiling RayTracing program with LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE _SURFACE_TYPE_TRANSPARENT _DOUBLESIDED_ON _NORMALMAP_TANGENT_SPACE _BLENDMODE_ALPHA _BLENDMODE_PRESERVE_SPECULAR_LIGHTING _ENABLE_FOG_ON_TRANSPARENT
    38. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR
    39. Disabled keywords: DEBUG_DISPLAY INSTANCING_ON _ALPHATEST_ON _DEPTHOFFSET_ON _VERTEX_DISPLACEMENT _PIXEL_DISPLACEMENT _VERTEX_DISPLACEMENT_LOCK_OBJECT_SCALE _DISPLACEMENT_LOCK_TILING_SCALE _PIXEL_DISPLACEMENT_LOCK_OBJECT_SCALE _REFRACTION_PLANE _REFRACTION_SPHERE _REFRACTION_THIN _EMISSIVE_MAPPING_PLANAR _EMISSIVE_MAPPING_TRIPLANAR _MAPPING_PLANAR _MAPPING_TRIPLANAR _REQUIRE_UV2 _REQUIRE_UV3 _NORMALMAP _MASKMAP _BENTNORMALMAP _EMISSIVE_COLOR_MAP _ENABLESPECULAROCCLUSION _SPECULAR_OCCLUSION_NONE _SPECULAR_OCCLUSION_FROM_BENT_NORMAL_MAP _HEIGHTMAP _TANGENTMAP _ANISOTROPYMAP _DETAIL_MAP _SUBSURFACE_MASK_MAP _THICKNESSMAP _IRIDESCENCE_THICKNESSMAP _SPECULARCOLORMAP _TRANSMITTANCECOLORMAP _DISABLE_DECALS _DISABLE_SSR _ENABLE_GEOMETRIC_SPECULAR_AA _BLENDMODE_ADD _BLENDMODE_PRE_MULTIPLY _TRANSPARENT_WRITES_MOTION_VEC _MATERIAL_FEATURE_SUBSURFACE_SCATTERING _MATERIAL_FEATURE_TRANSMISSION _MATERIAL_FEATURE_ANISOTROPY _MATERIAL_FEATURE_CLEAR_COAT _MATERIAL_FEATURE_IRIDESCENCE _MATERIAL_FEATURE_SPECULAR_COLOR _ADD_PRECOMPUTED_VELOCITY UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_USE_NATIVE_HDR UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'HDRP/Lit': Compilation failed [0x80004005 - Unknown error.] 'error: validation errors
    2. at 0x2a62aa3cc28 inside block ?ComputeFadeMaskSeed@@YA?AV?$vector@I$01@@V?$vector@M$02@@V1@@Z.exit.i of function ?ClosestSubSurface@@YAXURayIntersectionSubSurface@@UAttributeData@@@Z Opcode Discard not valid in shader model lib_6_3(closesthit)
    4. Validation failed.
    6. '
    8. Compiling RayTracing program with LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE _SURFACE_TYPE_TRANSPARENT DIFFUSE_LIGHTING_ONLY _DOUBLESIDED_ON _NORMALMAP_TANGENT_SPACE _ENABLE_GEOMETRIC_SPECULAR_AA _BLENDMODE_ALPHA _BLENDMODE_PRESERVE_SPECULAR_LIGHTING _ENABLE_FOG_ON_TRANSPARENT _MATERIAL_FEATURE_CLEAR_COAT
    9. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR
    10. Disabled keywords: DEBUG_DISPLAY LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_COMBINED DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON INSTANCING_ON _ALPHATEST_ON _DEPTHOFFSET_ON _VERTEX_DISPLACEMENT _PIXEL_DISPLACEMENT _VERTEX_DISPLACEMENT_LOCK_OBJECT_SCALE _DISPLACEMENT_LOCK_TILING_SCALE _PIXEL_DISPLACEMENT_LOCK_OBJECT_SCALE _REFRACTION_PLANE _REFRACTION_SPHERE _REFRACTION_THIN _EMISSIVE_MAPPING_PLANAR _EMISSIVE_MAPPING_TRIPLANAR _MAPPING_PLANAR _MAPPING_TRIPLANAR _REQUIRE_UV2 _REQUIRE_UV3 _NORMALMAP _MASKMAP _BENTNORMALMAP _EMISSIVE_COLOR_MAP _ENABLESPECULAROCCLUSION _SPECULAR_OCCLUSION_NONE _SPECULAR_OCCLUSION_FROM_BENT_NORMAL_MAP _HEIGHTMAP _TANGENTMAP _ANISOTROPYMAP _DETAIL_MAP _SUBSURFACE_MASK_MAP _THICKNESSMAP _IRIDESCENCE_THICKNESSMAP _SPECULARCOLORMAP _TRANSMITTANCECOLORMAP _DISABLE_DECALS _DISABLE_SSR _BLENDMODE_ADD _BLENDMODE_PRE_MULTIPLY _TRANSPARENT_WRITES_MOTION_VEC _MATERIAL_FEATURE_SUBSURFACE_SCATTERING _MATERIAL_FEATURE_TRANSMISSION _MATERIAL_FEATURE_ANISOTROPY _MATERIAL_FEATURE_IRIDESCENCE _MATERIAL_FEATURE_SPECULAR_COLOR _ADD_PRECOMPUTED_VELOCITY UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_USE_NATIVE_HDR UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_ENABLE_NATIVE_SHADOW_LOOKUPS UNITY_METAL_SHADOWS_USE_POINT_FILTERING UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF2 UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER1 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER2 UNITY_HARDWARE_TIER3 UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HALF_PRECISION_FRAGMENT_SHADER_REGISTERS UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING UNITY_VIRTUAL_TEXTURING
    2020_1_0b1_2.JPG

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    valarnur likes this.
  10. Fred-Koa

Fred-Koa

I had a working pathtracing project but when I tried to build it Unity told me there was 800 errors when compiling the shaders.
    I found that it came from HDRP/Lit and HDRP/LayeredLit shader that wouldn't compile with DirectX12.
    So I came back to an old version of the project before I added raytracing, and tried to follow each step to activate it again.
    But when I activate it in the ShaderConfig files, Unity always crash when I try to open the project.
    As the crash log said it was nvwgf2umx.dll that caused an Acces violation, I tried to update my Nvidia drivers but it doesn't change anything.

11. keeponshading

keeponshading

some lessons learned upgrading DXR experimentals through all alphas to the beta were....

- create empty scene, save project then upgrade project.updated project starts with empty scene. Then open your scene again.
    - switch to smaller desktop resolutions (4k crashes editor editor regulary) and in special unity game and scene window size
    - disable raytracing in shader config before update, reenable after update
    - bigger fbx assets often crash. rename these.reopen poject an rename them one bye one back to fbx till all crashes are done
    - remove dx12 completly. upgrade project. reenable dx12
    - upgrade/downgrade nvidia drivers
    - wait to be happy till you have at an least one build and one recreated shader library folder after deletion
    - you finally made it if an reimport all after all this works too
    - if you use adressables, clean all the build data data before every upgrade
    - use low raytracing volume override settings in your scene for default scene start. raise later.
    - don t mix raytraced shadows and normal shadows with high resolutions for sh maps.

At least i got all my DXR projects to 8.0.1 with these and could avoid projects and scenes to fall in direct crash behaviour after scene start, during project load or reimporting.
    To get bigger projects over i needed them all.)
    Had have around 45 crashes yesterday and 8h of reimporting. Finally worked. Even an 150GB project.

-

SKoptev, Fred-Koa and Lex4art like this.
  12. Fred-Koa

Fred-Koa

Finally I got my project working again.
    I took me one full day to understand that you should not believe the HDRP Wizard. You'd better set everything manually.

But I still have my build problem.
    The HDRP shaders don't seem to compile with Shader Model 6.3
    I get 800 errors like that:

In file included from :992:
    In file included from ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/ShaderPass/ShaderPassPathTracing.hlsl:9:
    In file included from ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/Material/Lit/LitPathTracing.hlsl:2:
    ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/PathTracing/Shaders/PathTracingBSDF.hlsl:20:18: warning: implicit truncation of vector type
    SampleGGXDir(inputSample, mtlData.V, localToWorld, roughness, outgoingDir, NdotL, NdotH, VdotH);
    ^
    ./Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/RenderPipeline/PathTracing/Shaders/PathTracingBSDF.hlsl:226:18: warning: implicit truncation of vector type
    SampleGGXDir(inputSample, mtlData.V, localToWorld, roughness, outgoingDir, NdotL, NdotH, VdotH);
    ^
    error: validation errors
    at 0x191988a3d58 inside block ?ComputeFadeMaskSeed@@YA?AV?$vector@I$01@@V?$vector@M$02@@V1@@Z.exit.i of function ?ClosestHit@@YAXURayIntersection@@UAttributeData@@@Z Opcode Discard not valid in shader model lib_6_3(closesthit)

13. f1ac

f1ac

I have noticed several limitations when playing with DXR, will these be addressed somehow?

1. Recursive rendered objects do not reflect in regular objects. In this example the sphere is rendered recursively, cubes and floor plane are not:
    upload_2020-3-19_17-8-13.png

2. Double-sided transparent materials produce dark artifacts near the edge, could be seen on the sphere in previous image.

3. Inconsistent behavior between path tracing, recursive rendering and default rendering, when looking through a semi-transparent object. box/thin refer to refraction model of the transparent object, which is the same scaled cube in all cases.

Default rendering, box, single sided: cube is like behind glass
    Default rendering, box, double sided: cube is like behind glass
    Default rendering, thin, single sided: cube is like behind glass
    Default rendering, thin, double sided: cube is like behind glass

Recursive rendering, box, single sided: cube is like embedded in glass
    Recursive rendering, box, double sided: cube is like behind glass
    Recursive rendering, thin, single sided: cube is like embedded in glass
    Recursive rendering, thin, double sided: cube is like behind glass

Path tracing, box, single sided: cube is like embedded in glass
    Path tracing, box, double sided: cube is like embedded in glass, but refraction angle is higher
    Path tracing, thin, single sided: cube is like behind glass
    Path tracing, thin, double sided: cube is like behind glass

'embedded in glass' example (path tracing):
    upload_2020-3-19_17-18-19.png
    'behind glass' example (recursive rendering):
    upload_2020-3-19_17-19-17.png

UPD: made comparison images:
    w/o path tracing
    upload_2020-3-19_19-25-28.png
    w/ path tracing, 3d text is not supported I guess in this mode
    upload_2020-3-19_19-26-17.png

4. Reflection of the refracted cube continues to ground plane, below the glass, which is indeed not correct (path tracing, refer to first image from 3)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  14. Fred-Koa

Fred-Koa

@keeponshading how did you get a working build with all these shader errors ?

15. valarnur

valarnur

Did you see this ? Which engine is it used?
    When can we expect this in Unity?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  16. pjenness

pjenness

@keeponshading Is that BMW scene a Unity Demo scene or are you actually on that project team? Very curious to take a look inside..but if its not public Unity Demo totally understand.

-P

keeponshading likes this.
  17. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

He is either using own model and background emit texture, or unity demo. You can find or make models easily by oneself.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  18. keeponshading

keeponshading

Rowlan likes this.
  19. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

If you look online for car model you can quickly do prototype aswel, note i did not work on shader graph mats though

quick rtx text but not using alpha version.

car2.jpg

i found one here but link is downloaded at your own risk. (don't install exe, just click the download button is safer)
    https://yadi.sk/d/YpyNRxU9hufNWw

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    OCASM likes this.
  20. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

21. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, we are currently changing the way recursive rendering is handled as of today it isn't included correctly in the frame when you disable it for rasterization.

22. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

newguy123 and Rowlan like this.
  23. newguy123

newguy123

24. sendspace

sendspace

OCASM likes this.
  25. jeremedia

jeremedia

I have this problem with the car models I'm working with. Very lame. Thanks for the suggestion on how to resolve.

26. keeponshading

keeponshading

I did a fast test and i switched Fontainebleau to Raytracing DX12.
    Then i tried to do the same upgrade to HDRP 7.2.1 and 8.0.2.
    Same crashes in Asset import pipeline. 4 to 5 times you have to reopen the project.

Think these bugs depend on wrong thest scenarios,.
    HDRP Test are non real world scenarios.

Would you upgrade and fully reimport bigger scenes like Fontainebleau or SpaceshipDemo before an unity version becomes the release badge you could catch these errors before.

So please upgrade and fully reimport Fontainebleau, Spaceship Demo, DOTS Sample... before you push an release to the world. Not weeks after.
    Also try to rebake .) and use Packages like Adressables in these scenarios before you push an release.

OCASM likes this.
  27. Siwone

Siwone

What happened to RTXGI that was supposed to be in preview for 2019.3?

valarnur and sendspace like this.
  28. MarkSchramm

MarkSchramm

Is there a way to under sample the ray tracing effects (when in quality mode)?

Many effects only allow a minimum of one sample, which I assume is one sample per pixel?

It would be nice to have raytracing resolution independent of the actual frame size, i.e. render the game in 4k but only run RT effects in a 720p buffer.

Using 2020.1b and HDRP8.0

OCASM likes this.
  29. neoshaman

neoshaman

Rtxgi sdk has been released by nvidia

valarnur and keeponshading like this.
  30. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

Can you explain me why glass materials do not pass through GI from Environments (HDRi or Physical Sky)? In Pure Path Tracing.
    Never mind :) I read that is not supported yet.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  31. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

Also I noticed that GI exclude is not working (object still generate photons when is excluded)

32. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

it still very much in development sir

33. alloystorm

alloystorm

Anyone managed to get DXR to work in the standalone player?

Everything seems fine in the Editor but once build as standalone player, it feels like ray tracing is simply turned off.

Also the recorder crashes randomly when recording video in Unity 2020.1.0b5. Since player doesn't work I tried to record some footage in the editor and it works for a short period of time, but if I keep it recording for over 2-3 minutes it always crashes randomly.

34. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

There is a lot in development still according RTX features in UNITY. But from my side (architecture design) can be used in commercial way.

35. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

Thanks for you work!

36. m0nsky

m0nsky

I tried the current state of HDRP/staging on the latest alpha (2020.2.0a9) today. DX12 is still a bit behind DX11 in terms of performance, however, I noticed the biggest hit is coming from the ray tracing acceleration structure overhead and not DX12 itself. Even if you don't have any RT effects enabled, simply disabling "Realtime Raytracing (Preview)" in the HDRP asset will make up for most of the performance difference between DX11/DX12.

Transparent SSR is working nicely, seems like transparent ray traced reflections still need that other open PR. (https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Graphics/pull/47)

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Rowlan and Lex4art like this.
  37. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Add a Screen Space Refraction component to a volume and set it to something low 0.01 or so. You will still see it at certain angles because Refraction is still screen space (default HDRP non Raytraced Refraction) but it will minimize it a lot.

m0nsky likes this.
  38. m0nsky

m0nsky

Works perfectly, thanks.
    I did some performance testing on 3 GPU tiers in case anyone's interested, all tests were done on 1920x1080 with the full DXR stack in performance mode:

- Realtime ray traced shadows
    - Realtime ray traced reflections
    - Realtime ray traced global illumination
    - Realtime ray traced ambient occlusion

- Volumetric clouds
    - Volumetric fog

GTX 1080
    79 fps

RTX 2070 (old model, non-super)
    130 fps

RTX 2080 Ti
    170 fps

The GTX 1080 drops more in performance when you get closer to reflections for example, which is expected because it doesn't have any dedicated ray tracing cores.

I noticed StackLit support was added a while ago, however it seems to break when using the ray traced reflections 'performance' mode. I really hope this is something that can be fixed, I've been looking forward to StackLit support for a long time.

Ray Traced Reflections 'Quality' mode

Ray Traced Reflections 'Performance' mode

Also, there seems to be an ongoing issue with the lit shader modes. Everything is fine in the editor, but breaks in standalone builds. Forward mode is correct, deferred mode is broken.

Lit Shader Mode 'Forward' (correct)

Lit Shader Mode 'Deferred' (broken, no light/shadows?)

Keep in mind, this issue does not show up in the editor, it only happens in standalone builds.

Edit:
    Global Illumination currently has the biggest performance hit. There is a 'half resolution' option (in the SimpleDenoiser/HDDiffuseDenoiser) which barely has any impact on visual quality but does gain a lot of performance. Would it be possible to add a 'quarter resolution' option?

I also noticed that changing the Global Illumination 'Denoiser Radius' and 'Second Denoiser Radius' produces the same artifacts as if you would have an incorrect/mismatched areaTileSize in the HDDiffuseDenoiser. Is this expected behaviour or actually a scaling bug?

Edit 2:
    I also tried the HDRP/RTRTransparent PR for ray traced transparent reflections. It works great in 'Quality' mode but causes very bad artifacting (game view) and flickering (scene view) in 'Performance' mode. I know the PR is not final, but I'm posting this in case this is an unknown bug. I will give it another try and/or delete this part of the post once the feature has officially landed.

Edit 3:
    Found out this is actually the same artifacting issue I found a couple of months ago which isn't related to the new PR. Managed to reproduce this in a test scene and submitted a bug report. (Case 1247650)

Edit 4:
    One more thing I've been wondering, is RT AO supposed to render on top of the RT reflections instead of the other way around? I'm not sure what's correct, but it looks off somehow.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    NotaNaN, sqallpl, jeremedia and 5 others like this.
  39. valarnur

valarnur

Will HDRP align with Vulkan support for raytracing ?

sqallpl and OCASM like this.
  40. Lex4art

Lex4art

Now I'm finally home (coronavirus...) and there is a lot of mail to sort. Some nice letters there, like this one:

Re: (Case 1230863) [DXR] On complex scene (3000+ draw calls) Editor performance 2-3 times faster than performance in game build

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue. We have fixed this problem and it should not appear in Unity 2020.2.0a5 and above. For now, there are no backports for this issue, but if it is really important to get the fix for you - please reply

If you are still able to reproduce this issue on the mentioned Unity version, please respond to this email and the case will be reopened for further investigation.

Thanks,
    Rimante
    Customer QA Team

Sweet ), now it's possible to create more complex scenes and actuallyrelease a product/app with DXR.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    OCASM and jeremedia like this.
  41. mipkoz

mipkoz

Seems like every release is getting a little better. Great job Unity team.

I have been trying my best to get DXR working with meshes drawn with DrawMeshInstancedIndirect and a custom instanced shader based on HDRP/Lit master node. I get raytraced rendering of said instanced objects (which is already more than I was expecting, considering I am rendering tens of thousands) but they do not create raytraced shadows and the instances are not seen in the reflection of traditional mesh renderers in the scene (for example, a mirror quad on the wall). Shadows do appear when raytraced shadows are turned off on the light source, but they aren't quite as good obviously. Are full DXR capabilities (shadows, reflections, etc) not possible with DrawMeshInstancedIndirect?

42. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies

mipkoz likes this.
  43. alloystorm

alloystorm

To your point about deferred and forward modes. What I found is that when using forward only mode, there is no raytraced shadow & reflections, what you see is the good old shadow map. The only thing that might work in forward mode for me is the AO.

In deferred mode, shadow & reflection work in editor but not in player.

44. copperrobot

copperrobot

Nice! The latest 2020 beta is giving me 1080p 60fps in editor with really nice smooth reflections (no obvious breakup or shimmer). It's a 2080ti, but as mentioned it is in editor, not a build, which would likely be better.

OCASM, sqallpl and m0nsky like this.
  45. m0nsky

m0nsky

I definitely get all features including rt shadows in forward mode. This is a standalone/player build. :D

Edit:
    Some stuff from today's HDRP/staging on 2020.2.0a10 after HDRP/RTRTransparent was merged etc.

Ray traced reflections still produce artifacting/glitching in performance mode like in my previous post. This is not a transparency/new problem, I've noticed this before in some very specific situations.

Edit 2:
    I've managed to reproduce and report the bug (Case 1247650), I'm confident this is the same issue I noticed a few months/pages back, the artifacting is the same, it's just been hard to reproduce.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    SKoptev, wenzy, newguy123 and 6 others like this.
  46. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Videos are really peaceful to watch!

47. wenzy

wenzy

Dose any one meet this issue before?
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1263112917718728704

When I set the metal/glass material's rendering pass to "Raytracing" . I always meet this issue below(Right is game view)~ The material and shadow are keep flickering. I have tested in 2019.3.9 and 2020.1.0a25

-----
    Update:
    I have figured it out finally. It seems there's a conflict in the Aniti-aliasing mode. It can't use Temporal Anti-aliasing(TTA) in ray tracing.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  48. newguy123

newguy123

Any deal breakers in 2020.2a compared to 2020.1b as far as raytracing is concerned?

raytracing still in preview (or beta) with each, so "safe" to use with either 2020.2 or 2020.1.

...meaning either of those Unity versions will work fine with the latest raytracing developments right?

49. Parallax

Parallax

Loving this thread
    InOut Unity.Still001.jpg

50. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies