Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity Experimental HDRP DXR

Discussion in 'HDRP Ray Tracing' started by SebLagarde, Apr 4, 2019.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just popping in to enquire if there are any plans to port DXR to Universal RP? I think this would be a very usable thing for me without the weight of HDRP on top.

I thought perhaps Unity's DXR implementation wasn't tightly bound to HDRP in particular.

newguy123 likes this.
  2. INedelcu

INedelcu

Unity Technologies

https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.3/Doc...nce/Rendering.CommandBuffer.DispatchRays.html and other CommandBuffer.SetRayTracing* calls can be used from any rendering pipeline. It’s actually not mandatory to have a rendering pipeline or do any rendering to be able to do ray tracing work. Of course this will work as long as SystemInfo.supportsRayTracing is true. There are no plans currently to support ray tracing in URP but you are free to implement an effect if you need one.

Rowlan, hippocoder and OCASM like this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks :) I think it's a shame that URP can't also reach high end but understandable.

newguy123 likes this.
  4. sendspace

sendspace

hey guys ! can i use 7.2 in unity 2020.1? cuz it gives me error in console

5. Mauri

Mauri

Why bump when @INedelcu already answered @hippocoder's question?

As for your issue, what error do you get? From what I read here, 7.X is only compatible with

hippocoder likes this.
  6. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

If you are looking for to do Raytrace Reflection effect in URP then you will get all the pain of HDRP weight :), (i.e to get correct quality you will need good sampling strategy, denoiser, temporal accumulation etc...). Raytracing without all this is very bad.

Tartiflette and hippocoder like this.
  7. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

2020.1 require 8.0.0 which will be out soon.
    7.2.0 don't work with it (due to some visual effect graph change)

keeponshading likes this.
  8. pleribus77

pleribus77

Curious how others are finding performance using 2019.3.2f1 (DX12) and HDRP 7.2.1.

I have an RTX 2080 Ti, i7-6700K 8 core CPU @ 4GHz.

Performance scene runs 55-60 fps (which is great)
    Quality scene runs at 3-6 fps (not so great)

Difference in the transparent objects performance is the real killer, as the performance scene seems to trade raytraced reflections on transparent objects such as glass.

At least from what I see - the performance approach seems to only reflect sky and lights, but not other objects in the environment, and the quality approach is unusable for realtime.

I'd attempted to try both with a car model as well, with similar if not worse framerate results.

I'd like to start using DXR for some automotive proof of concepts, but still feels like it's not quite there yet for objects heavy with glass and plastics.

9. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Interesting, I thought the RTX 2080 Ti would perform great. If even that strong card fails, how should the whole DXR story work for consumers with just a RTX 2060? I guess not all, you just can have a limited set of DXR effects which a limited quality. I did some testing with DXR reflections and GI in an interior scene. Performence was not so great and visual outcome was noisy and slow with ghosting artefacts. I'm on a RTX 2060 (mobile). The GI effect is totally useless, since it is performence heavy, slow and noisy. It also has a limited range. I get far better results with Enlighten. A better use of DXR will hopefully the updating probe system in realtime, see that demonstration at Unite Copenhagen. The reflections on transparent objects are great and I think that is the only effect that is worth the heavy performence effect. Here it all depends on ray length, bounce count and layers to include. I would use it just for mirros and the most important glasses with a high treshold, like 0.9f smoothness. I used it with the minimum settings to get a reflection on a window, which is a bounce count of 3, that is acceptable to me. (Better then no realtime reflections at all!)But I'm not really that impressed. Realtime mirror sounds great but again, useless when my characters did not show up, because at the moment deformation and a lot of character related shaders are not supported. Even particles are not reflected. So at the end you get reflections which will not represent the living world of your game, also think about animated foliage. Glad I did not invest more money in this tech, because at this state it is not really useful, get no speed benefits in Unity and I doubt a great market share for the more expensive card variants.

And there is a reason why the RTX demos are just small architecture scenes, even in Unreal.
    Because it is just a small scene, but even here you get just 30 fps. So they hide the fact it will not work well in a larger scale. What's also why it was promoted at the beginning with a scene containing only a car and a large screen.
    So the whole tech is just for a big car company, so they can build an interactive demo scene of a premium car, which will only run on a super computer, showcased just at a trade fair booth or at a one time event to a limited audience. Cool.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  10. pleribus77

pleribus77

To be fair, that's the exact use case I'm interested in, given industry I work in. (Car visualization)

I'll look into that talk if it means the glass matches the opaque object reflections.

I'd love to see ray traced transparent reflections working in a performant way, similar to Control (game) where you have the option to toggle that aspect on or off.

11. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,

the
    Hi,

yes this is the kind of GPU performance you can expect and represent correctly the current state of the art of hardware raytracing. This generation is not ready for heavy raytrace effect with multi-bounce and reflection/refraction. Lots of optimization and tricks with fallback on rasterization are required. Thus why the "performance" mode is way faster. And why also it is less visually appealing.

And yes, glass / headlight are very expensive. Having multiple reflection and refraction trash cache and generate a lot of incoherent ray, you can't expect performance today for such effects.

(Note: I talk only about GPU performance, CPU side will improve in the future as Unity wasn't design for Raytracing initially).

The way we have design performance vs / quality is the primer target game, the former is more to generate screenshots or dump a movie, or do interactive application.

performance: single bounce, binning of ray, separation in multiple stage (more work in compute shader), non recursion of ray

Quality: multiple bounce, recursive ray, everything happen in the raytrace shader <= very hardware unfriendly.

For implementation detail you can check this talk: https://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2019/Benyoub-DXR Ray tracing- SIGGRAPH2019-final.pdf

Hope this help.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    OCASM, jeremedia and keeponshading like this.
  12. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

I saw the raytracing tiers are gone from the HDRP asset. So do you set the quality tier now?

13. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

From the components directly. Effects like reflections etc have two quality settings now: quality and performance. It's more straight forward now as it's more obvious than two random tiers + you can now mix and match different effects tiers.

keeponshading and Lex4art like this.
  14. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Ok, I see it in Screen Space Reflections. But it cannot be used to get reflections on transparent objects?
    So the only way to get reflections on windows is Recursive Rendering but it seems it is to expensive for an actual real game with photorealistic graphics and physics that already has a bottleneck on the CPU side, DXR just make CPU times even more worse meanwhile the GPU time in comparison is "underused".

I made again tests with my empty apartement scene (just walls and windows and mirrors, no textures, no gameplay, no physics). I get at average 160 fps, but if I get closer to a window or a mirror, it drops to 30 fps (less than one meter and the reflective surface make more than 75% of the screen space). The odd thing is, that the ray length does not seem to make any huge difference at the fps, I get 30 fps with 10m ray length or 50m ray length. So getting really close a reflective surface seems the worst case scenario. I use Recursive Rendering with 3 bounces.
    So in the future, I guess there would be no way to have a scenario where the first person character looks close into the mirror or a window? That would be really awesome.

I'm wondering what we can expect from future improvements on the CPU side and if DXR could be coupled with DOTS to get more performence? At the moment you're lucky to get an average of 30 fps. 60 fps seems out of reach and just a dream bubble.

If you would move you're complete game to a DOTS approach, and then add DXR on top of it, it would eat up all the gained performence by DOTS, I guess.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  15. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Unity added support for SSR with transparent objects:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/pull/4968

Edit: tested this with 2020.1 alpha and hdrp/staging from github. While SSR works on transparent surfaces there, it doesn't seem like it works properly with raytracing, only regular screen space reflections.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    keeponshading and Lex4art like this.
  16. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

This is not supported currently. Support will come later and indeed the SSR on transparent was the first step to achieve this.

17. pleribus77

pleribus77

Ok, so if I understand support may be coming for ray traced reflections on transparent that would be realtime performant?

My experience is pretty much as Bordeaux_Fox describes.

I mentioned the game Control as they implement exactly this feature. (I understand this is the state of the art benchmark game currently for DXR / Raytracing, which is no small feat)

In my own testing, I'm not seeing any RT reflections on glass unless using the heaver processing quality option which is no good for realtime.

Note the palm trees from skymap where a closed room should be reflected, along with no window structures reflecting off the windscreen. I could use probes, but the reflections don't align with the car paint reflections.

And screenshots of Control's implementation of Raytraced Transparent Reflections

Bordeaux_Fox likes this.
  18. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, Control do reflection on Transparent object, Which is what we plan to support and could run in correct performance. This is not what our Recursive rendering effect is doing which allow multiple reflection and refraction for headlight for example and are insanely expensive.

19. Onigiri

Onigiri

@SebLagarde is it planned to make SSR work with rough materials?

20. pleribus77

pleribus77

Thanks @SebLagarde - this is exactly what I'm looking for, and understand this does not include refraction in this sample from Control.

You can see what the recursive remdering is capable of in the sample office scene with bottles and lights, but is just too expensive for the type of stuff we're looking to accomplish with raytracing and car visualization (realtime consumer show space type of stuff)

Think this sort of thing will help immensely with realtime ArchViz type of work too.

Looking forward to when that drops, so we can start playing.

21. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, not sure I understand, it already work (even if not really accurate). You can control the threshold for the fallback between SSR and reflection probe for roughness in the SSR volume component.

22. Onigiri

Onigiri

I mean something like stochastic reflections.

23. keeponshading

keeponshading

I am refreshing my post from 22.dec due to the next megagrant from epic.

"Would be nice if DXR bake extensions would be available in HDRP + DXR + Shadergraph.

Here a nice working prototyp.
    ArmorPaintDXR can bake raytraced ao, cavity, bent normals, thickness, lightmap, curvature and dilate pass

They would be really useful in the HDRP pipeline to.

https://twitter.com/luboslenco/status/1206928563389313024?s=20

Here the code...
    e.g
    DXR bake Bent Normal
    https://github.com/armory3d/armorpaint/commit/db550e611a67936eec075051c486c8cb4423f7bf

DXR bake Thickness
    https://github.com/armory3d/armorpaint/commit/ba2211ca94f461fbdeced8f40d2b2f6da6b88149

more here
    https://github.com/armory3d/armorpa...r=f4f2cc077b1d055e3fd7a6fe585656447dd79919+34

"

After the MegaGrant to the Blender Foundation in general this is the next great "strategic" move.

In neverending "in preview times" where Unity is trying to reach "feature parity" from PLM GPU to CPU on an underlying memory managment and an system architecture who never will fit todays requirements in stability, workflow and quality this another nice move.

So yes. I still bake with Blender Cycles Lightmaps (Bakery,too) and Bent Normals and Thickness Maps with Amorpaint with DXR.
    Please awake!

Hardware accelerated ray-traced baking of HDRP essentials is an great way to raise quality and performance from HDRP and even more for HDRP + DXR and HDRP + VR and for baking down static nodetrees before entering MasterNodes in Shadergraph (see Blender).
    That all is baking 2020.

As an example you could wait till 2035 if recursive DXR raytracing renders something like this

maxresdefault (2).jpg

with 60fps or do it tomorrow by baking Transmission, Thickness and Translucency Maps per DXR down as option to make it interactive.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    jeremedia and Bordeaux_Fox like this.
  24. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

considering rtx just about handles 1 - 2 rays for gi, this seems many moons away!

25. keeponshading

keeponshading

Yes. Many moons.
    But not when you bake tranlucency maps and thickness maps ....

In Blender i bake simple pbr maps like so, check the ice cube with the eye, standard pbr bake...
    Export even works in sketchfab.

This method i use for car back lights too.

So DXR pathtraced baking of these maps for the HDRP Shader and voila... you can jump on the moon and you get solid fps.

in HDRP
    • DXR Groundtruth pathtracing for check
    • DXR RecursiveRendering limited to a few layers for fast realtime preparation of an scene
    • DXR Pathraced bake for 60fps+ in Standard HDRP

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    jeremedia likes this.
  26. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

very interesting sir, can u give more detailed breakdown.

27. keeponshading

keeponshading

For doing the backlight on the post before you need these techniques

Just imagine one step more, the balls in the cup have animated light sources inside and are translucent. You have to bake these then you get the look to whith animated lights lights to 90% but with high framerates.

To bake the maps HDRP needs, it would be cool to bake these in Shadergraph down via DXR. In Blender or Armorpaint you can do it already.

The nice thing when you think with the old HDRP Tier logic
    Tier 3, path traced shows you how it looks with 0.0001fps
    Tier 2 preparation with recursive rendering and wisely set Layers gives you 2fps
    Tier 1 with partly baked should be around 30fps
    HDRP fully baked around 100fps
    You could work down to high framerates.

They all should look the same.)

With bakes i always think everything whats possible. Like translucency, thickness, sss, ao, bent normals, multiple lightmaps light on/off... from the housing of the backlight to the outside.
    For now nothing is possible inside unity.
    But DXR bake could to this easily.

Bakerys new Realtime preview is on a good way
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/bakery-gpu-lightmapper-v1-65-released.536008/page-79#post-5540905
    At least Lightmaps are solved soon.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  28. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

29. m0nsky

m0nsky

Just heard a DX12 performance issue was reproduced on the issue tracker today, which shows DX12 running at 1/4 the speed of the same scene in DX11, which is similar to what I've experienced so far.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-is-significantly-worse-when-compared-to-dx11

Edit #2
    I just noticed we can vote on the issue if we log in with our Unity account on the above link. I'm not sure if it will help to get the issue fixed sooner, but I guess it's worth a try since a lot of us are running into performance issues when it comes to DXR/VR in DX12.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    OCASM, Lex4art, INedelcu and 3 others like this.
  30. keeponshading

keeponshading

Thats well known to Unity.)
    Here s an perfekt Benchmark Tool based on OpenData.
    https://opendata.blender.org/
    Maximum transparency.

Unity should have something similar internal.
    So share it with us.) We all would like to fill it with our data for example scenes provided.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  31. Parallax

Parallax

Can someone recommend a stereo 360 animation capture solution for Unity 2019.3 or 2020.1?

32. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Hey, why are the DXR reflections not working any more with Unity 2019.3.4f1? I just updated from 2019.3.3f1, where it worked. Recursive Rendering is not working any longer. Reflections are broken again. :(:(:(
    I have the performence set to quality for screen space reflections but nevertheless recursive rendering does nothing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  33. newguy123

newguy123

Sooo I'm trying to get this going, but not getting the SMALLROOMRAYTRACING sample going.

According to this page:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/03/0...line-real-time-ray-tracing-is-now-in-preview/
    ....there's supposed to be a 3rd scene, set up with Pathtracing in there.
    upload_2020-3-11_11-43-37.png

However, when going to the Git page, you get the usual story of LFS etc, but you can use the zip instead from another link here:
    upload_2020-3-11_11-44-23.png
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SmallOfficeRayTracing/releases
    ....however, that link is outdated and only contain 2 scenes and not the 3rd one, namely the pathtracing one, which is the one I'm after.

Now I'm trying to get this LFS thing going, but no idea what I'm doing. So I'm signed into Git, I downloaded and installed git-lfs 2.10.0. Now the docs says I have to type a bunch of commands like:
    upload_2020-3-11_11-40-43.png

However, my exe file is called git-lfs.exe. I try to replace the git in the example above with git-lfs, without success.
    upload_2020-3-11_11-42-26.png

Can somebody please help me get this going or can Unity update the full zip to contain all the latest files please.

34. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@newguy123 You are supposed to install git for commandline first, before trying to run actual commandline commands.

35. newguy123

newguy123

@rz_0lento I installed that Git-lfs thing. Is there a different thing I should install instead or over and above?

36. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

since you don't get git to recognize at commandline, it suggests it's not installed properly for the commandline use.

37. newguy123

newguy123

38. sendspace

sendspace

Hey guys.
    Since unity 2020.1 Dxr is stable i am wondering if the dxr gi reflection etc...will support baking? , am not talking about the gpu lighmaper.

39. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi i waited 3 weeks to update my now
    Unity 2019.3.5f1 HDRP 7.1.8
    and
    Unity 2020.1.0a25 HDRP 7.1.8

DXR project to HDRP 7.2.1.

This was not possible due to the known errors.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/sol...-to-7-2-0-crashes-editor.826335/#post-5472588

and the advise to wait for 8.0.0
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-experimental-hdrp-dxr.656092/page-13#post-5481054

Today it tried to update both project to
    Unity 2020.1.0b1 with HDRP 8.0.1

resulting in the same crash during import.
    Crash after latest .fbx model import.

Unbenannt.JPG

Code (CSharp):
    1. Unity Editor by Unity Technologies [version: Unity 2020.1.0b1_92a30bddf81d]
    3. nvwgf2umx.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    4.   in module nvwgf2umx.dll at 0033:f6385646.
    6. Error occurred at 2020-03-13_175244.
    7. C:\Unity\2020.1.0b1\Editor\Unity.exe, run by Q237091.
    9. 77% physical memory in use.
    10. 65480 MB physical memory [15042 MB free].
    11. 48955 MB process peak paging file [48816 MB used].
    12. 39060 MB process peak working set [38931 MB used].
    13. System Commit Total/Limit/Peak: 67486MB/79010MB/110135MB
    14. System Physical Total/Available: 65480MB/15042MB
    15. System Process Count: 238
    16. System Thread Count: 3633
    17. System Handle Count: 125541
    18. Disk space data for 'C:\Users\q237091\AppData\Local\Temp\Unity\Editor\Crashes\Crash_2020-03-13_165240688\': 86907768832 bytes free of 1998995734528 total.
    20. Read from location 0000000000000018 caused an access violation.
    22. Context:
    23. RDI:    0x00000210f8bcc730  RSI: 0x0000000000000000  RAX:   0x0000000000000100
    24. RBX:    0x0000000000000001  RCX: 0x00000210f8beff40  RDX:   0x0000000000000000
    25. RIP:    0x00007ffbf6385646  RBP: 0x000000e292b9a300  SegCs: 0x0000000000000033
    26. EFlags: 0x0000000000010246  RSP: 0x000000e292b9a200  SegSs: 0x000000000000002b
    27. R8:     0x0000000000000000  R9:  0x0000000000000000  R10:   0x0000000020000000
    28. R11:    0x000000e292b9cd18  R12: 0x00000210f8bd8090  R13:   0x0000000000000000
    29. R14:    0x00000210f8bef980  R15: 0x0000000000000000
    32. Bytes at CS:EIP:
    33. 49 8b 47 18 49 c1 e0 10 4c 8b 38 4c 89 7d 90 49
    35. Mono DLL loaded successfully at 'C:\Unity\2020.1.0b1\Editor\Data\MonoBleedingEdge\EmbedRuntime\mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll'.
    38. Stack Trace of Crashed Thread 19608:
    39. 0x00007FFBF6385646 (nvwgf2umx) NVAPI_Thunk
    40. 0x00007FFBF65640C7 (nvwgf2umx) NVAPI_Thunk
    41. 0x00007FFBF5AA343C (nvwgf2umx) OpenAdapter12
    42. 0x00007FFBF5C1A1FF (nvwgf2umx) OpenAdapter12
    43. 0x00007FFBE7A13C4A (d3d12) D3D12PIXReportCounter
    44. 0x00007FF75C68E48B (Unity) AbortShim::operator=
    45. 0x00007FF75C68F0DC (Unity) AbortShim::operator=
    46. 0x00007FF75C692DAA (Unity) AbortShim::operator=
    47. 0x00007FF75C6B6C21 (Unity) AbortShim::operator=
    48. 0x00007FF75F4EF312 (Unity) Baselib_Memory_Free
    49. 0x00007FF75F4F8A7C (Unity) Baselib_Memory_Free
    50. 0x00007FF75F4F8E68 (Unity) Baselib_Memory_Free
    I updated this project coming from
    Experimental DXR release
    through every
    Unity 2019.3.0x
    Unity 2019.3.1x
    Unity 2019.3.2x
    and
    all 2020_1_0ax
    releases with several HDRP versions and did all the needed updates due to api changes.

The journey ends here
    Unity 2019.3.5f1 HDRP 7.1.8
    Unity 2020.1.0a25 HDRP 7.1.8

Any tips how to upgrade to an HDRP version > 7.1.8?

Would love to got to
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.core": "8.0.1",
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition": "8.0.1",
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition-config": "8.0.1",
    "com.unity.shadergraph": "8.0.1",

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  40. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Current 8.x for 2020.1 are definitely not marked as stable on raytracing nor I remember Unity even mentioning they target DXR to be stable on 2020.1. They've publicly even mentioned that DX12 perf issues will not be solved on 2020.1 yet (which are crucial for DXR as well).

If we are lucky, we may get some targets next week if Unity still does roadmap talk in some form (at least I sure hope they don't skip it now that GDC is postponed).

sendspace likes this.
  41. keeponshading

keeponshading

The one and only cg who s stable ...

Original_Utah_Teapot_-_Computer_History_Museums.jpg

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Original_Utah_Teapot_-_Computer_History_Museums.jpg

42. newguy123

newguy123

43. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

44. Cascho01

Cascho01

Got an RTX 2080 super, latest drivers, latest Unity 2019.3.3f1, HDRP 7.1.8.
    Downloaded SmallOffice example including LFS files.
    Got two errors:
    1. d3d12: generating mipmaps for array textures is not yet supported.
    2. Assertion failed on expression: 'ValidTRS()'
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Checked everything, no Realtime GI, scene looks very cheap.
    Also don´t see a pathtracer example scene.

Made a new project and accurately followed Manual Setup.
    Checked everything is setup correctly, no Realtime GI, scene looks very cheap.
    Pathtracer results in white image.

It´s so frustrating.

Is there somewhere else a very simple project that I could download and see RealtimeGI/pathtracer?

45. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

1. Says what it means. you'll get this on 2019.3 but raytracing will still work
    2. No idea where this comes from but I've seen it for a quite while, it doesn't prevent raytracing from working either.

46. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Sadly you are right, 2019.3.4f1 have broken DXR... it is fixed in 2019.3.6f1.
    Can't find any excuse for this. A "fix" of dx12 have get a side effect and broke DXR. Being in preview, our test infrastructure for DXR isn't ready and this haven't been catch...

Bordeaux_Fox likes this.
  47. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Sorry about this. We will update the data this week.

newguy123 likes this.
  48. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, We don't have plan to bake the result of RTGI. Our lightmapper infrastructure is totally different from what we are doing with RTGI.

sendspace likes this.
  49. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, not sure about what is going on here, as far as I can tell from the callstack it is a DX12, not a DXR crash.
    I can't know with provided information.
    My only suggestion (which isn't a good solution I know), would be to first try to upgrade your project to 2019.3f1 with 7.2.1. I know you are looking for skinning/blend shape, but it will be a first step as between 7.1.8 and 7.2.1 there is a lot of change. Then try the most recent version of 2020.1 and keep HDRP 7.2.1 (it is compatible). As of today 7.2.1 and 8.0.0 a very simlilar, but this is to check if the beta version of 2020.1 is unstable or not.

Sorry don't have better advice to provide.

keeponshading likes this.
  50. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

IMPORTANT: We have discover an issue in 2019.3.4f1 with DXR. It broke it fully. Please avoid this version, the fix is available in 2019.3.6f1.

Sorry about this inconvenience :(

(And yes, users reported it past weeks but with Corona-virus thing we have get various re-organization and delay).

keeponshading and sendspace like this.