Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Unity Essentials pathway: no 2D tutorial

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Jeff_G1, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Jeff_G1

Jeff_G1

I've been following the Unity Essentials pathway which up until now has had excellent step-by-step tutorials. Everything so far has been 3D - now suddenly without any introduction or tutorial on 2D, I am expected to make a 2D Pachinko (had to Google that) game (Challenge: Sprite Pachinko).

In the summary it says "Use the sprites you installed in the previous tutorial". What tutorial? There has never been a 2D tutorial in this pathway. This is the first time I have heard of sprites, too. It then says, more or less, "get on with it".

What is going on?

2. Jeff_G1

Jeff_G1

I eventually got round this by installing the 2D Game Kit and running the associated tutorial. That itself was a palaver as the instructions in the tutorial bore no resemblance to reality. There was no 2D Game Kit project listed in the Learn section of the hub, so I created a new empty 2D project then went off to find the 2D Game Kit in the Asset Store, and then Downloaded and Imported it into my project. I can now follow the tutorial.

I am just hoping that somewhere along the line it explains how to add textures and colour to circle sprites and make them solid.

3. rairen2go

rairen2go

You can make 2D games with 3D objects. In fact most of the essential tutorials will do that. Make a plane for your background, put a sphere in front of it, and let the sphere it fall. With the camera pointed straight ahead, it is like a 2D game just with the benefits of cool shadows.

4. Jeff_G1

Jeff_G1

Sounds good, but the tutorial says to use 2D sprites. Which is sort of the point - learning how to use them.

5. rairen2go

rairen2go

Oh S***! You're right. Spoiler: you'll be doing 2D games with 3D objects later. Whoops.

I dug up my project. 2D sprites in a 3D model. From the front it looks like this (don't judge, I didn't exactly kill myself on this one).

upload_2021-10-7_22-39-42.png

From the side, this. I just made sure my 'ball' and 'barrier' sprites were all at the same transform coordinate so they'd hit each other. Hope you were able to sort it out!

upload_2021-10-7_22-40-18.png

Jeff_G1 likes this.
  6. Zaerick

Zaerick

I have brought up this issue like 3 times now and have been assured I was doing it wrong.

Jeff_G1 likes this.