Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Engine - Can it be used as a collaboration tool?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by yinyang042, Mar 8, 2010.

1. yinyang042

yinyang042

Hi Guys,

I have a few questions about the Unity engine:

1. Are you able to use Unity to be a collaboration tool? Could you setup desktop sharing on a whiteboard within this environment? Is that even do-able?

2. Do you know if we are able to implement a drag and drop of powerpoints from our desktop to the system and it could load it into the world for us?

3. Do you know if a framework could be made to make more and more Unity "worlds" be attached to the framework to make an ever expanding virtual space?

Please let me know if this stuff is do-able and if anyone knows how I could go about using Unity to be a collaboration tool. Thanks!

2. duke

duke

Unless someone has attempted it, this is something you'll really have to try out yourself.

Unity does have it's integrated networking, so what you're after isn't an unreasonable or infeasible request. You could either create your own wrapper for MonoBehaviour and inherit from that instead, which registers any script and its attached gameObject as a networked entity and shares it.

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Not out of the box but you should be able to roll that on your own.

Unity doesn't support PowerPoint as a media type so you'd have to write a plugin (desktop only, no web player support!) that reads in the PowerPoint file and somehow renders out each slide as a texture that you then display in Unity. So again, you could roll this on your own.

Sure, that is also quite possible (Unity can be used for single or multiplayer and the scalability of your world is up to you and your implementation).