Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're a macOS 10.13 High Sierra user take be sure to read this before updating Unity.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Editor won't open, but is still running as background process in task manager

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by glitchcake, Dec 22, 2016.

1. glitchcake

glitchcake

So I've come across a weird problem with my Unity(I was on 5.4, I upgraded to 5.5 when this problem came up). I've been working on a project for the past few weeks so I know my computer is capable of running Unity fine, I had no issues then. But out of no where now I can't open Unity. The Unity logo screen that comes up before you login and select your project comes up, but it just gets stuck there. Opening the scene instead of the clicking on the desktop shortcut does not work either. I have no idea what to do and some help would be appreciated!

2. contempt

contempt

Having the same problem see if it's your AntiVirus.

3. glitchcake

glitchcake

Checked that, still isn't working

4. glitchcake

glitchcake

figured it out, you have to add an exemption for Unity.exe in the background processes section of Windows Defender.

5. stancuromania

stancuromania

How do you add an exemption because I am having he same problem?

6. robert-nally

robert-nally

I'm also having this issue. I tried adding the exception, but that didn't work for me. Any else have any other possible solutions?

7. bfe_gio

bfe_gio

The editor is getting stuck trying to contact the update server (new version check maybe?). For whatever reason, the whole thing fails to open when this happens; maybe they don't have a timeout or something.

On Windows, add this line to the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (if on Mac, do the same with /etc/hosts)

127.0.0.1 update.unity3d.com

Then make sure to kill any stuck instances of Unity, and relaunch. You might also have to log out and back in for it to take effect.

Apparently it's some backend problem on Unity's end - in other posts they say it's been fixed, but here in the the office we're still getting hit by it at random times. The hosts file fix is a bit heavy-handed but works every time.

8. robert-nally

robert-nally

Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

I added that line to the hosts file, but I'm still getting this issue.

This is my Editor.log, in part anyway:

Built from '2017.2/release' branch; Version is '2017.2.0f3 (46dda1414e51) revision 4644257'; Using compiler version '160040219'
    OS: 'Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit' Language: 'en' Physical Memory: 16339 MB
    BatchMode: 0, IsHumanControllingUs: 1, StartBugReporterOnCrash: 1, Is64bit: 1, IsPro: 0
    [Package Manager] Server::Start -- Port 64316 was selected
    ListPackages failed, output: {
    "name": "unity-editor",
    "version": "5.7.0",
    "problems": [
    "missing: unity-editor-home@0.8.30, required by unity-editor@5.7.0",
    "missing: unityeditor-cloud-hub@0.0.15, required by unity-editor@5.7.0",
    "missing: unityeditor-collab-history@0.6.14, required by unity-editor@5.7.0",
    "missing: unityeditor-collab-toolbar@0.7.15, required by unity-editor@5.7.0"
    ],
    "dependencies": {
    "unity-editor-home": {
    "required": "0.8.30",
    "missing": true
    },
    "unityeditor-cloud-hub": {
    "required": "0.0.15",
    },
    "unityeditor-collab-history": {
    "required": "0.6.14",
    },
    "unityeditor-collab-toolbar": {
    "required": "0.7.15",
    }
    }
    }

COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS:
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe
    Request timed out while processing request "https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/config/production", HTTP error code 0
    .[UnityConnect] Request timed out.
    Error loading https://id.unity.com/en/conversations/2ae65e63-aca7-4513-b6da-a03592b1e176002f

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Platform/Interface/NativeWebViewWindow.cpp Line: 51)

D:/Work/Make_or_Break_Games/vr_thundercats/source_control_project
    Loading GUID <-> Path mappings...0.000076 seconds
    Loading Asset Database...0.170313 seconds
    Unknown platform 6 in GetTargetPlatformGraphicsAPIAvailability

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/BuildPipeline/BuildTargetPlatformSpecific.cpp Line: 2051)

Unknown platform 6 in GetTargetPlatformGraphicsAPIAvailability

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/BuildPipeline/BuildTargetPlatformSpecific.cpp Line: 2051)