Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Editor won't open, but is still running as background process in task manager

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by glitchcake, Dec 22, 2016.

1. glitchcake

glitchcake

So I've come across a weird problem with my Unity(I was on 5.4, I upgraded to 5.5 when this problem came up). I've been working on a project for the past few weeks so I know my computer is capable of running Unity fine, I had no issues then. But out of no where now I can't open Unity. The Unity logo screen that comes up before you login and select your project comes up, but it just gets stuck there. Opening the scene instead of the clicking on the desktop shortcut does not work either. I have no idea what to do and some help would be appreciated!

vertig02 likes this.
  2. contempt

contempt

Having the same problem see if it's your AntiVirus.

3. glitchcake

glitchcake

Checked that, still isn't working

4. glitchcake

glitchcake

figured it out, you have to add an exemption for Unity.exe in the background processes section of Windows Defender.

5. stancuromania

stancuromania

How do you add an exemption because I am having he same problem?

6. robert-nally

robert-nally

I'm also having this issue. I tried adding the exception, but that didn't work for me. Any else have any other possible solutions?

7. bfe_gio

bfe_gio

The editor is getting stuck trying to contact the update server (new version check maybe?). For whatever reason, the whole thing fails to open when this happens; maybe they don't have a timeout or something.

On Windows, add this line to the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (if on Mac, do the same with /etc/hosts)

127.0.0.1 update.unity3d.com

Then make sure to kill any stuck instances of Unity, and relaunch. You might also have to log out and back in for it to take effect.

Apparently it's some backend problem on Unity's end - in other posts they say it's been fixed, but here in the the office we're still getting hit by it at random times. The hosts file fix is a bit heavy-handed but works every time.

8. robert-nally

robert-nally

Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

I added that line to the hosts file, but I'm still getting this issue.

This is my Editor.log, in part anyway:

Built from '2017.2/release' branch; Version is '2017.2.0f3 (46dda1414e51) revision 4644257'; Using compiler version '160040219'
    OS: 'Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit' Language: 'en' Physical Memory: 16339 MB
    BatchMode: 0, IsHumanControllingUs: 1, StartBugReporterOnCrash: 1, Is64bit: 1, IsPro: 0
    [Package Manager] Server::Start -- Port 64316 was selected
    ListPackages failed, output: {
    "name": "unity-editor",
    "version": "5.7.0",
    "problems": [
    "missing: unity-editor-home@0.8.30, required by unity-editor@5.7.0",
    "missing: unityeditor-cloud-hub@0.0.15, required by unity-editor@5.7.0",
    "missing: unityeditor-collab-history@0.6.14, required by unity-editor@5.7.0",
    "missing: unityeditor-collab-toolbar@0.7.15, required by unity-editor@5.7.0"
    ],
    "dependencies": {
    "unity-editor-home": {
    "required": "0.8.30",
    "missing": true
    },
    "unityeditor-cloud-hub": {
    "required": "0.0.15",
    },
    "unityeditor-collab-history": {
    "required": "0.6.14",
    },
    "unityeditor-collab-toolbar": {
    "required": "0.7.15",
    }
    }
    }

COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS:
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe
    Request timed out while processing request "https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/config/production", HTTP error code 0
    .[UnityConnect] Request timed out.
    Error loading https://id.unity.com/en/conversations/2ae65e63-aca7-4513-b6da-a03592b1e176002f

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Platform/Interface/NativeWebViewWindow.cpp Line: 51)

D:/Work/Make_or_Break_Games/vr_thundercats/source_control_project
    Loading GUID <-> Path mappings...0.000076 seconds
    Loading Asset Database...0.170313 seconds
    Unknown platform 6 in GetTargetPlatformGraphicsAPIAvailability

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/BuildPipeline/BuildTargetPlatformSpecific.cpp Line: 2051)

Unknown platform 6 in GetTargetPlatformGraphicsAPIAvailability

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/BuildPipeline/BuildTargetPlatformSpecific.cpp Line: 2051)

9. DeeJayh

DeeJayh

Adding to Hosts and Adding the C:\Program Files\Unity folder as an exception to Defender worked for me on Windows 10 x64 with Unity 2017.3

10. DeeJayh

DeeJayh

And.... it's dead again.

11. EdgardA

EdgardA

Do you have a controller plugged in? If it's the case unplug it and it should work. I had the same issue and I tried everything (antivirus, firewall, deleting files...) but this... worked like a charm and the editor showed up a few seconds after!

12. robert-nally

robert-nally

I've tried it without a controller plugged in and I still get this issue.

Thanks though.

Timemaster111 and sadsd like this.
  13. BWerner

BWerner

This worked for me. glad to have found this post!

sadsd likes this.
  14. sadsd

sadsd

Works for me.

15. Ulvards

Ulvards

Ok so its probably out of the screen so you have to shift + right click on the icon on the taskbar then press restore then shift right again and press move an your done

16. sloppydog_za

sloppydog_za

YOU ARE A GOD SENT,look everywhere,reinstalled windows,renistalled unity, struggle for 2 weeks just to find out its a controller

17. Timemaster111

Timemaster111

You are a godsend

For anyone having issues and you have a VR headset plugged in: apparently that's a "controller"

18. Central_Fire154

Central_Fire154

I managed to fix this issue. I'm not exactly sure how I did it. But the last time I booted my computer I was greeted with about 5 Firewall prompts, including one from Unity.exe when I opened a scene. Low and behold it opened.
    It's definitively a firewall issue, if you can find a way to clear firewall settings, that might fix your issue.

19. Dacarta360

Dacarta360

Damn I finally got it, almost was going to use a different engine. I kept opening my project, and it would always show up on the taskbar- yet would be nowhere to be found on my screen. After the theatrics were over and me and the little S***ter finished playing cat and mouse, I tried doing the 'shift+right click editor on taskbar, restore, and move' fiasco for what seemed like the 10th time and it finally worked. Turns out it was chilling the hell out extremely far away to the right of where my viewable screen is. I obviously wasn't aware of that, but I figured that out once I started moving my mouse everywhere in desperation for something to appear.

I musta renewed that goddamn license 20 times before I finally got it.