Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're a macOS 10.13 High Sierra user take be sure to read this before updating Unity.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Editor Will Not Open - Present as a Background Task

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Auticus, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Auticus

Auticus

Where it happens: Unity 5.5, Unity 2017 (same symptoms)

As the title says, when I try to open up Unity, the main form will open up fine prompting me to create a new project or open an existing. When I try to open an existing, it closes down the form and the editor never returns.

Task Manager shows Unity Editor running in the background for about 4-5 seconds, then its Disk, Network, and CPU all drop to 0 and it just sits there.

Going into the log found in AppData it always freezes at this point:

Registered platform support modules in: 0.0463381s.
    Native extension for WindowsStandalone target not found
    Validating Project structure ... 0.000116 seconds.
    Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... Refresh: elapses 0.001736 seconds (Nothing changed)

No errors detected in the log. Its stuck on trying to detect assets. Anti Virus was uninstalled. Windows Defender is disabled. I have uninstalled 5.5 and reinstalled 2017 and it gives me the exact same issue.

Cannot find a suitable solution on the forums. Any help?

2. Auticus

Auticus

Update: I tried to download Unity 5.6 32-bit in the hopes that my issue is 64-bit vs 32-bit.

Same issue. Though this time I get a bit more of a log, it hangs in the background and won't launch. Attached is the log.

Attached Files:

3. Auticus

Auticus

Really? Not a single response? This is killing my project (which will be driving me picking up a pro license for distribution upon completion). I've been using Unity just fine on this machine for the past year up until a couple weeks ago.

Even something like buffing up the log so it could say what its stuck on would be ridiculously helpful.

I've now updated all display drivers. I'm running an NVIDIA GTX 1050. The only other change that happened was that I got an oculus and installed oculus drivers. I unplugged the oculus to see if that helped but it did not.

I am shut down at this point.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  4. Auticus

Auticus

More updates:

I left it running all night and day in the background to see if it would come up. Nope.

However UnityEditor.exe is taking up a sweet 1.5 gig of RAM now and UnityHelper is up to 2.5 gig of RAM and steadily growing. So whatever it is doing it is spewing memory everywhere on top of not opening up.

This is version 2017.

5. Auticus

Auticus

Last update. Reinstalled windows 10. Then clean install Unity again. Same result.

Conclusion: the log doesn't say but the only thing that changed on my machine was the GTX 1050 card and the oculus drivers.

If I had to guess I'd say that Unity doesn't like the GTX 1050 card. As no one has responded and I can't find a way to submit a bug ticket to get any help, we will have to look at using Unreal instead, because at least that editor is working.

OZcomingFRoo likes this.
  6. lyonb96

lyonb96

Same issue, I'm on a GTX 1080, i5-4690K, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Just started happening today, I haven't had any issues before and even used it this morning just fine. I haven't rebooted the computer since I used it, no hardware changes, nothing plugged or unplugged, but the editor refuses to launch now. I also get the UnityEditor.exe as a background process, with 2 instances of UnityHelper.exe. Editor hits about 220MB of RAM usage before it freezes, Helper instances hit about 30-40MB before freezing. I tried ending both of the helper processes, no difference. Reboot made no difference. Hopefully we can get some help in here soon.

7. Auticus

Auticus

Seems like the commonalities are the nvidia driver family we share, and the windows 10 64-bit.

Since I was running unity fine on my windows 10 box and this started once i upgraded to a 1050 card, I strongly suspect the issue lies in our graphics card drivers.

It would be grand if the editor log actually reported what the issue was. Or if someone from Unity would respond ;)

I've got a project thats seven-months old and was nearing alpha that is boned right now.

8. bearmann

bearmann

I also have the same issue, and the same commonalities as you two, I run a GTX 750 Ti and am running Windows 10, 64 bit. I have been struggling for MONTHS to get an answer as to why my I cannot open Unity, for now any Unity version past the last version of Unity 4 does not run on my PC as it just runs in the background. Would love a response from a developer etc. Side note I have tried running as admin and turning off antivirus.

9. Auticus

Auticus

Thats odd. I had a GTX 750 and it worked fine, it didn't start not working until I upgraded to the 1050 Ti.

I removed all of my antivirus software completely and it still won't open, as well as shutting down firewall.

10. Auticus

Auticus

The only other thing I can think of is paying for Unity and then forcing a bug ticket that way, but I'm not paying for the engine until my project is complete since I can't guarantee that they'd have a fix for the issue.

11. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

What platforms do you have installed for your unity version?

12. Auticus

Auticus

Can you be more specific? I don't understand what "platforms" is representing.

13. Grumpledorf

Grumpledorf

I think fffMalzbier means the installed package supports (windows, osx, android, ios, linux etc.). I could be wrong though. Anyways, I had the same issue today. I have a GTX 1070, and it happened on Unity 2017 Personal on Windows 10. It was working for a week before it failed, the only change was me leaving my computer on overnight instead of setting it to hibernate like I usually do. I tried uninstalling (which actually kind of did the same thing, uninstalled then closed and stayed as a process visible only in task manager), then reinstalled, but it didn't work. I found this post and tried update my graphics card driver, which I only ended up updating Geforce Experience. That didn't work so I tried rebooting my comp, now it works, not sure if it was a combination of things I did or what. Also, I get an error when launching Unity saying

Error loading launcher://unity/C:/Users/Grumpledorf/AppData/Roaming/Unity/Packages/node_modules/unity-editor-home/dist/index.html?code=J04051BuK7M3NeO-nLKipg003f&locale=en&session_state=ee555a9d2033136a7b3aa507b03dc92e8a33b5b1cbdd6371b0fcf3127c3c99a6.QBarl1V7g4kZww0gERLA3A003f#/login

Not sure if that's related.
    If it happens again I'll come back here.

14. Auticus

Auticus

Glad you were able to get yours resolved. Unfortunately I've done all that to include a new install of windows and it still won't get past whatever it is hanging it up.

15. katvalkyrie

katvalkyrie

I'd like to add my experience to the pot. I'm a student VR dev, and I recently upgraded from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1080ti (Windows 10 x64 - Unity Personal Edition). Both Unity 5.6 & 2017.1 now fail to open any project other than the one I had last opened (and I also can't make a new project). The Editor just goes away, though I don't have any background tasks running like you guys.

I've updated Windows & also my NVIDIA drivers, and I've got nothing :/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  16. katvalkyrie

katvalkyrie

Alright, so I found a (weird) solution that works for me.

Apparently Malwarebytes (in my case) and other antivirus programs can get unhappy with unity. I set exclusions for the Unity .exe and the folder with the rest of the install files, rebooted and now everything works.

Seems weird that upgrading my graphics card caused that specific issue, but everything ran smoothly before I did that so idk.

OZcomingFRoo likes this.
  17. PhantomFighter

PhantomFighter

Same issue (Win10/64bit/AMD GPU). Installed 2017.1.0f3, started a new project and things seemed fine. After quitting and attempting to reload the project, the Editor simply exists as a background process. Uninstalled and tried 2017.2 beta: Editor launches fine, tinker with project, quit, resume -> same problem. Editor fails to appear and sits as a background process. On one occasion I left computer unattended for 15-30 mins, and when I came back the Editor was on screen. Whatever Unity is doing or attempting to do, it's taking a very long time to do it. This pretty much renders the app unusable...

OZcomingFRoo likes this.
  18. YoungBreath

YoungBreath

Same Issue (Win 10/64bit/Intel CPU/NVidia GTX 1070). If I start my PC and open Unity, it normally opens the normal instance but upon changing project or closing and opening the same project, it will appear as a background process and stay there. Upon now, the only things that I have done to try to fix it and keep working, is closing session or worse case, restarting my computer, but it is impossible to work like this specially since I'm using Unity Remote and sometimes I forget to connect the phone before opening the unity instance.

19. phucvin

phucvin

In my case (Unity 2017), the editor log stops at "Cancelling tasks, domain is going down", my work-around for now is:
    1. Kill the Unity Editor
    2. Delete the Temp folder in project
    3. Delete the Library/ScriptAssemblies folder in project -> Sometime this step can be skipped, and it still works
    4. Open again, if still not working (not often), go to step 1
    Hope it can help somebody. But really need Unity to check this bug, it is unpredictable and annoying.

Note that the editor sometimes open normally without doing the work-around. New project does not suffer from this bug, so I think my project (which runs fine on Unity 5.4.x) has something in the scripts (or libraries I use) conflicts with Unity 2017 (hence the deleting ScriptAssemblies folder)

EliteFrame, miguelfeo and sylon like this.
  20. Old-Meiser-Gaff

Old-Meiser-Gaff

I am/was having the same problem. Win 7 latest version of unity, GTX 1060 3GB.
    Phucvin your method worked for me just now. Thanks!

21. userexperiencesg

userexperiencesg

I also have the same problem, and the same commonalities as you all.I want to solve the problem correctly.Thanks

22. sylon

sylon

Today i experienced the same issue.
    My fix was to kill the task and remove the Temp folder from my project.
    thank you Phucvin!

VetMed likes this.
  23. miguelfeo

miguelfeo

Started having this issue today and was going nuts... Your fix worked Phucvin, thank you.

24. sadrag

sadrag

Me too.. This solution is working for now. Thanks. I hope they fix it as soon as possible.

Edit: When I disconnect internet, everythink work. I think, the problem is not because of us.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    miguelfeo likes this.
  25. led42

led42

Had the same issue nothing worked until I unplugged the network.

miguelfeo and Mese like this.
  26. Kev66

Kev66

Same here. It hit all 6 of our PCs this morning simultaneously. It's taken several hours to realise this but, I was just about to post the same solution as led42...

a) Unplug from the network
    b) Launch Unity and choose to work offline
    c) Open your project
    d) Reconnect to the network.

I'm hoping that it's a problem up Unity's end, that will be resolved soon.

jonlzzz likes this.
  27. Mese

Mese

YES!
    led42 answer is correct..
    We lost almos 4 hours on this, this morning

WTF are you doing to the unity server back-side, and why openning the Editor fails to open if the server fails????

28. IvyKun

IvyKun

I updated from Unity 5.6.1p4 to 2017.1.1p3 and it crashes every time on startup on mac.

Deleting temp and obj folder works but sadly not every time.

29. VetMed

VetMed

sylon's reply worked for me! Delete the Temp folder and reopen.

30. PeteBrisbourne

PeteBrisbourne

Unity is aware and is pushing a DNS fix. In the editor log you'll see Unity is trying to get an ivy.xml file. That URL currently is invalid.

upload_2017-9-28_14-30-51.png

bjstaupp likes this.
  31. miguelfeo

miguelfeo

Yeah, the deleting folders fix only worked a couple of times and then it was back to the same.

Starting Unity in offline mode does the trick though! Thanks guys

32. Ady_M

Ady_M

Kev66's solution seems to be the most reliable workaround for me.

I have to disconnect from the internet before opening a project and choose "Work offline" then reconnect.

If I wish to open another project simultaneaously then I have to disconnect again.

If I forget to disconnect before opening a project then the editor gets stuck as a background process which prevents me from making a second attempt (after disconnecting). It says the project is already open. In this case, I have to kill the Unity.exe process through the Taskmanager and then try again while the network is disconnected.

33. KeldorKatarn

KeldorKatarn

34. Supergeek

Supergeek

You don't have to disconnect from the internet. You can just sign out of your account then select Work Offline. I just tried it, it works. Hopefully they will fix this soon.

35. KeldorKatarn

KeldorKatarn

Well since I'm using a Personal license I cannot work offline. Signed out and offline it tells me to activate the editor manually, which I can't without a key file.

36. georgiegrace

georgiegrace

I also have this problem, but with a Mac. Sadly no useful information to add - deleting the temp folder etc. worked once, but now it's not working.
    edit: it is working offline... so far.

37. benevolentbenny

benevolentbenny

Offline works for me only. This is ridiculous. I've wasted a day on this.

38. KeldorKatarn

KeldorKatarn

Unity Mod posted in another thread about this:

Works for me

39. EliteFrame

EliteFrame

Thanks this helped!

40. DonkyeyUppercut

DonkyeyUppercut

Did not help me :(

41. thepenguinmaster

thepenguinmaster

Same issue, deleting folders and offline is not fixing. This is getting old..

42. LeonxnoeL

LeonxnoeL

Im also having the same issue, with the logs ending at the same part and all. The worst of all is the fact that i had this problem with literally all the Unity 5.x versions, forcing me to this day to use Unity 4. Thought Unity 2017 would have fixed it by now but it seems i am wrong. Oh well, back to Unity 4.

43. Ogeid

Ogeid

I have the same problem, Unity 2017 or 5 can not open my projects or create new ones. Going Offline and deleting the Temp folder did not resolve any more.

44. robert-nally

robert-nally

I'm also having this issue after upgrading from 5.3 to 2017.2. I've tried all the possible resolutions and nothing has worked.

For me, Unity eventually opens, but it takes, and I'm being literal, about 5 hours.

Why would Unity take so long to open a project?

45. Avoulee

Avoulee

Same issue occurring here. I can't even kill the task and have to restart every time as I tried all methods listed above to no avail.

EDIT: I unplugged my USB game controller (3rd party XBox 360 clone) and now it opens just as it should.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  46. OZcomingFRoo

OZcomingFRoo

11/23/2017 : I just downloaded Unity 2017.2.0f3 (64-bit) , this works fine for me.. for the time being. This happened to me 2 weeks ago when I download an older version of Unity also but after a day or so it quickly shifted to not launch Unity again. be sure to expect another post from me if the situation arises again

11/28/2017 : Well as time went by , Unity (once again) decides it doesn't want to launch. It seems that this is hardly any hardware problem nor is it software.

As being mentioned here , the problem is about this

[​IMG]

47. OZcomingFRoo

OZcomingFRoo

11/28/2017, later this day
    Quick Update: Unity 2017.2.0f3 (64-bit) suddenly works for me fine after a couple of hours have passed.

48. vostok4

vostok4

2017.2.0f3

Broken on one PC in the home today, other one is working now. Really frustrating that net issues take the entire editor offline silently.

49. oxocube_wk1

oxocube_wk1

Hi
    I've been having this issue across 200 PCs. I believe.
    ivy.xml is not present on http://update.unity3d.com/2017.2/ivy.xml or https://cdn2.unity3d.com/2017.2/ivy.xml .
    I'm trying to see if anyone has filed a bug. Either to remove the code that queries for ivy.xml or place the file on the server. I suspect the SSL/TLS algorithm is causing the issue. As these PCs are behind filtering and firewall so I'm glad those of you using home PCs are having this issue.

vostok4 likes this.
  50. vostok4

vostok4

Did you sniff the packets its sending? I didn't file a bug as I was under a deadline so just disconnected my cable every time to launch the editor. If you have a less painful solution please let us know :)