Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity Editor Update Check window is non interactive

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by Hyp-X, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

Now that beta 14 is out beta 13 greets me with this window.
    Nothing works on this window (buttons, checkbox).

upload_2020-12-3_10-44-19.png

I get this error message it might be related:

Failed to destroy editor windows: #1
    EditorUpdateWindow
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadDefaultWindowPreferences ()

2. Baste

Baste

Workaround: I believe "Check for Updates" is a global preference. That window was crashing the editor on startup after we updated our 2020.1 version, opening a 2018.4 version, opening the update check and unchecking "Check for updates" stopped the crashes in 2020.1.

3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Looks like this could be due to this bug: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1274737/

A fix is currently being worked on. I've reached out to the devs for an update.

We have a fix for that issue in the pipeline: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1285668/

4. Baste

Baste

In my case, the crash happened without user interaction - ie. I opened a project, the window popped up, Unity crashed. Case 1295380

5. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I tried to create a new project for URP in 2020.2 from the hub. Unity loads the new project with the green bar on the tab going to 80% then I see a black empty popup called Unity Editor Update check and if clicked it just makes an error sound and Unity stays frozen like this no longer moving the loading bar. Should I take this as a sign to quit game development?

That was until I took a closer look because something that was barely visible was tucked behind the black window.
    And after clicking on it-it came to the surface despite the black window. It says failed to load window layout. No matter what I click on revert or load it will keep repeatedly popping up. Only option is to close or quit and doing so will close Unity. I had to reopen the project and then it proceeded to work fine. This is clearly a bug that I will post here rather than reporting as I can't be assed dealing with the devs, I've reported too many in the last month.

[]---3.jpg []---4.jpg

6. ddreams_anne

ddreams_anne

Since 2020.2.2f1 came available I am continuously getting this problem (Unity freezing with the update screen) when starting new projects. It usually only happens the first time. If I then delete the folder and try again (same name) it works fine. I actually already have 2020.2.2f1 installed, so I even shouldn't see this message when I create a 2020.2.1f1 version, as I should be the one deciding which version to use. Since I am working on a project that needs to be finished by the end of this month I do not want to switch to a newer version so close to the deadline and I also do not want to be notified that a newer version exists. I would only want to see this in the Unity Hub, not when creating a new project!

BTW, I am working with the latest version of Windows 10 professional.