Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Unity Editor Suggestions/Requests, Dec 2022 Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by halley, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Ryiah

Ryiah

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

I should have been clear that I was referring to the fact you said internal code.

Five minutes? Absolutely not. A day, however? I've had to handle worse in some pretty sizable code bases before. As an example, if EditorApplication.ExecuteMenuItem is a pain point, that'd be where I'd start. I'm going to operate under the assumption that the string is being parsed into a key value pair of some sort with the string as the key, but there are multiple ways to handle that so who knows. What I'd do in that situation is handle the redirect there.

Of course, this introduces a problem. This means that people could add menu items that occupy the old string locations. That'd be bad! Immediately you could get some problems there. We don't even have to use an overload for this since we can just assume that the default value being passed will be "false." If it gets "true" passed to it, we can start handling the collision exceptions.

And, if you're really aggressive about code review stuff, like super aggressive, this could take longer. Maybe push it back to whatever tech release is coming up next. But you know what? I'd still expect this to happen in a much shorter turnaround time than a properly implemented search feature or custom sort feature, which feels like the kind of thing that would take well over a year with Unity's turnaround speeds.

aras-p likes this.
  3. TomasKucinskas

TomasKucinskas

Unity Technologies

The scroll bar handle is too tiny for me to move it :/

On a serious note, no, we don't have a timeline for it yet.

angrypenguin likes this.
  4. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Code Monkey has just posted an awesome summary of Unity's road maps shown at GDC:

One thing I noticed at 13:44: upload_2023-3-28_0-35-16.png

Could that be exactly the feature we were talking about?
    The "create" menu can be accessed via rightclick after all.

5. Luemus

Luemus

You mean the searchability? It was searchable for a long time and I've been using it for last 2 or 3 months, default CTRL + K search does it.

6. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Only the add component menu, not the create asset. It's this one we talk about because it tends to be overloading in large projects with tons of 3rd party assets (e.g. the 7 first entries here which are half external assets, half my own work):

upload_2023-3-28_0-46-16.png

7. Luemus

Luemus

upload_2023-3-28_2-5-48.png

8. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

( free beer button // insta - generate Skyrim button, however for a PS5 . . . ) :D:D

only for fun, back to the topics . . .

9. Unifikation

Unifikation

Fix the newly broken material presets for TMP, fix copy/paste of TMP material properties, both in script and Editor - both seemingly a result of Material Variants "feature".

10. halley

halley

Here's another one. Menu > Edit > Project Settings... > Physics > Scroll scroll scroll. Every time.

11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I’ve been complaining about one editor behavior changing (submitted bug reports and all) and after two years I was told that people rely on the new behavior now, so it won’t be changed back, which I guess is Unity-speak for “go F*** yourself”.

So please stop using that excuse. Somehow it gets brought up as an excuse against changes that people actually want, and then other times Unity just changes stuff, intentionally or not, with no notice.