Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity editor spawns another editor instance that's all white and does not respond

Discussion in '2021.1 Beta' started by Peter77, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity seems to spawn another Unity editor instance that's all white and does not respond. Anyone else seeing this?

Please see the following video, starting at 5:25.

upload_2020-12-27_8-46-24.png

I would also like to know if it's by design that Unity spawns 55 further processes?

upload_2020-12-27_8-48-10.png

Unity 2019.4 has way fewer processes:

upload_2020-12-27_9-2-13.png

... or do these get created on demand and never released again unless the editor is closed?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

After restarting the Editor, there are two
    UnityCrashHandler64.exe
    processes?!

upload_2020-12-27_8-58-54.png

3. JesseSTG

JesseSTG

I get this, too, but on 2020.2.

Immu and Peter77 like this.
  4. TheZombieKiller

TheZombieKiller

I've been getting this for a while on 2020.2, it's incredibly annoying because that window is often the same size as the main one, and will cover the screen when using certain features (such as the object picker). I've found that resetting or switching the editor window layout (Window -> Layouts -> Default/Reset/etc.) will cause the white window to disappear.

Immu, FernandoMK and Peter77 like this.
  5. pahe

pahe

Can confirm this is happening with 2020.2.0f1 as well (and I'm pretty sure something similar happened before as well in previous versions, except that I didn't see the white editor, but always had the two editor instances).

Peter77 likes this.
  6. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Same issues in 2020.2, like others said doing a 'layout reset' works. Also, I have this crazy bug where sometimes, Unity does something weird with layout and a ton of programs/processes open up? This might sound weird but I'm 100% sure it's related to Unity lol, something weird is going on

Peter77 likes this.
  7. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

I have the same problem as the 2020.2 beta

apparently unity saves the layout style, regardless of the project, and that’s what makes the white screen appearo_O

example, if I close a project that has, for example, the probuilder in the window (something that is not standard), opening another project causes a completely white screen, after all, in this other project, there is no probuilder tab.
    the fact is that sometimes, even when creating a new project, an option appears to refactor the interface to factory mode (standard unity layout) I think this layout save should be by project, not global.

Something I've been doing to get around this is to apply the standard style before leaving the project, it's not practical, but at least it avoids these problems:)

Peter77 likes this.
  8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It just occurred that the white window appeared again, after I actually killed it via Windows Task Manager a few minutes earlier :eek:

I also spotted this error in the Console window, not sure if it's related:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Tried select unknown importer for id '2089858483' '84ac22bb3b0a6e20311ef0312769a920'
    Very suspicious nonetheless behavior. If it's been another tool, I would uninstall and report it as virus ;)

9. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Ha.. if you suspect is a virus then is probably your antivirus

Looking at your video there is a task Malwarebytes.
    I presume this anti-malware has a new plugin that is making virtual copies or a sandbox of Unity.
    probably you, @alexanderameye, @TheZombieKiller , etc use Malwarebytes?
    If yes, is not a Unity bug.

SOLUTION
    Try to put Unity into an exclusion zone or disable sandbox or put Unity into trusted or turn off antivirus, etc

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Peter77 likes this.
  10. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I do use malwarebytes! Good catch, will try that

11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I checked my system, but I don't have Malwarebytes installed. I also watched my video, but can't find Malwarebytes there either. Do you mean "Antimalware Service Executable" by any chance? That's from Microsoft Defender and is part of Windows 10.

12. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

@Peter77 or any other antivirus that makes a sandbox? (you do not need to awnser)
    @alexanderameye Did you try to exclude? any news?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  13. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Haven't tried yet, but I will in a few weeks so it'll be a while :)

14. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Can confirm this is related to layouts somehow. If unity has a crash with a custom layout and then tries to load it back up and fails it spawns that second window. Choosing default layout and then properly restarting fixes it until the next crash. We also dont use Malwarebytes, just windows 10 defender. Unity version 2020.2.0f1

15. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

It just happened to me again.

upload_2021-2-28_11-22-57.png

(yes, this is the editor...:rolleyes:)

In this case, I have to go to window > Layouts > Default

It is so random that I have no idea why it happens, or when it will happen again. there are no errors on the console... o_O