Search Unity

Unity Editor sometimes unable to drag in either horisontal or vertical directions

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BoaNeo, Nov 13, 2019.

1. BoaNeo

BoaNeo

I have this really odd issue every now and then, and the only remedy I've found to work reliably is to reboot my machine which is kind of annoying.

What happens is that LMB+Drag stops working in the editor window in either the X or Y direction (but not both) so I can't drag objects and I can't rotate the view around the given axis.

For example, I could be in 2D mode editing some UI elements and suddenly can no longer drag horizontally. This means I can't move objects in X and I can't pan the view in X. Vertical movement still works. If I switch to 3D and the 3D rotation is not in e.g. front-view, I can still move things in X (world space), as long as the X-axis is not parallel to horizontal screen space. As soon as I rotate the X axis parallel to the horisont, I'm stuck because I can no longer rotate the view around the Y axis (only X and Z)... I.e. it's clearly the screen-space coordinates that gets zero'ed.

Also, mouse works fine, inspector and other views works fine, other apps no problem (both directions). It's specifically the Unity editor view, and only in one direction.

And yes, I have tried locking/unlocking the view, I've tried changing the tool mode, I've tried restarting Unity (and tried 2017, 2018 and 2019 version of Unity), I've tried turning off the mouse, I've tried using the touchpad instead - nothing works. Only remedy is a complete reboot, after which it'll be good for a week or two before it happens again.

This is on a MacBook Pro, and I should maybe note that I switch between various external monitors, one of which is an ultra wide 49" screen and often run Unity in fullscreen mode.

... Anyone seen something like this or has any idea what's going on?

2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

3. BoaNeo

BoaNeo

Yes, I filed a bug report, but you guys were unable to reproduce it (not surprisingly). The problem is that it's not specific to a project or even a Unity version - Once it breaks, it stays broken until the next reboot, no matter which project I open, or in which version of Unity. I've never had the problem in any other application, so it seems like it's some weird interaction between OsX and Unity that goes bad.

4. doctorpangloss

doctorpangloss

I am also experiencing this issue in 2020 LTS, Intel Rosetta on macOS.