Search Unity

Unity editor slow and jerky

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Silveralby, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Silveralby

Silveralby

Hi guys I installed Unity on an ssd with a clean installation of windows 7. In the same pc I have always used the same version of Unity (2018.2) without too many problems but now since I installed it on ssd I can't work anymore because in editor is slow and jerky. The video card driver is the same as before the ssd. Starting the exe some games that I created with Unity, are fluid and without problems. How can I solve it? Thank you

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

You've scanned for malware? I recommend Malwarebytes, has a free scanner - just to make sure its not the OS having issues.

3. AbgaryanFX

AbgaryanFX

Are you using Unity HUB beta ? if yes, then just close it.

4. Silveralby

Silveralby

The operating system was newly installed.

5. Silveralby

Silveralby

I don't know which version is beta hub. The version I'm using is 2018.2

6. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Your on a 64 bit OS?

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Can you reduce your mouse's polling rate (if you have a mouse with high polling rate)? There are some bugs with that.

8. Silveralby

Silveralby

yes I'm sorry I forgot to write it.

9. Silveralby

Silveralby

The whole system is the same as before I installed the SSD, including the video card driver.

10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

So you just installed win 7 64 bit, no software whatsoever except unity? Updated windows?

11. Silveralby

Silveralby

Exactly I installed all the updates and drivers in the PC and then installed only Unity.
    I don't know if it could be useful but it seems that Unity doesn't read the video card.

Immagine.jpg

12. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Well, perhaps consider upgrading to windows 10, they are dropping support for windows 7, so most developers (most likely UT as well) are not really focusing on keeping windows 7 fully functional, and driver updates have stopped coming in.... there are plenty reasons to upgrade right now...

13. Silveralby

Silveralby

Certainly it will be my intention to upgrade to Windows 10 but I can't explain why switching to an SSD that should improve the system, Unity doesn't work as before. Confirm that it is not correct to read in Unity DX11 on DX10 GPU, or does it not matter?

14. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What video driver is actually being used? dxdiag will tell you, device manager will have it, and I believe the Unity editor's log will have it.

15. Silveralby

Silveralby

Hi Joe, this is the dxdiag of the video card. It's a bit of an old card but as I said before I never had big problems with Unity.
    I think there's some configuration and optimization in Unity but I don't know how.
    Immagine.jpg

16. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Well that card never got DX11 support, so Unity saying DX10 GPU is correct. A decade old video card I would expect to have issues running Unity after DX9 support was dropped from the editor. I'd see if forcing OpenGL gave any improvements to performance.

17. Silveralby

Silveralby

You are right it is an old video card but I repeat before the SSD Unity did not create too many problems. You can see that now the PC is telling me ... you changed the SSD and now I also change the video card ;-) Last test is to force opengl. Can you explain me how to give thanks.

18. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Perhaps the problem is not the video card, or the OS, or Unity.... and you do indeed have a virus scanner? And.... you scanned with it... and... nothing came up? I'm sorry if that sounds obnoxious - just trying to be sure we have covered all the bases here.

19. Silveralby

Silveralby

I followed your advice and updated the system to windows 10. Now the Unity editor is back to being fluid. I'd like to know why, but for the moment it's enough to have it solved.