Search Unity

Unity Editor performance under Mojave (10.14) is less than half of 10.13.x versions of MacOS

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Deeeds, Sep 9, 2018.

1. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Weird. I don't have any problems. Well, no problems outside of the fact that even on the best MBP, the GPU is still garbage. But Metal support in the editor works just fine.

Can you elaborate?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Metal in editor is super stuttery for me. (like, the frame rate is not that bad, but it feels like everything speeds up and down all the time).

Disabling Metal makes everything reasonably smooth.

DBarlok likes this.
  3. DBarlok

DBarlok

Unity 5. After upgrading to Mojave, i cannot work more than 5 minutes without crying.
    Disabling Metal EXPERIMENTAL inside Editor, turned on by default without even a clue
    except this thread, im able to work again on my Mac.

protopop likes this.
  4. User340

User340

Why are you using old Unity? Try 2019.2, should be fine.

Griffo and DBarlok like this.
  5. DBarlok

DBarlok

Im using old Unity just for this project because
    i have code that needs to be migrated to lastest Unity that will break.

I've used 2019.1 without problems on Mojave or PC. :)

protopop likes this.
  6. User340

User340

I wouldn't hold my breath in regards to Unity 5 & Mojave. I'd say downgrade back to whatever OS you were using prior and work on your project there.

Griffo, twitchfactor and DBarlok like this.
  7. DBarlok

DBarlok

It's working now, thanks. It's mobile game so not too expensive on hardware for my mac mini i5.
    If i downgrade i cannot build for XCode 10 im afraid, so that's not an option.

Solution is me porting the entire game to Unity 2019 someday, breaking everything
    and fixing in a methodic way without suffering. But it's not a good time to me to do that.

But thanks for the heads up, i need to migrate this project to lastest.

Disabling Metal Editor inside Player Settings makes Unity 5 fly
    better than Windows.

8. User340

User340

Make sure you backup your project before the upgrade.

DBarlok likes this.
  9. protopop

protopop

My main project is in Unity 5.6 but I upgrade it for android export to Unity 2017.4 - it is a more or less safe upgrade for 5.6 projects and opens up more doors for compatibility with newer software (like I needed it for 64 bit android deployment)

Im starting. fresh project also in 2019 to avoid all the prefab breaking / text mesh pro break / Legacy Particle removal / legacy JS code etc that breaks in 2018.

:) You kind of need a roadmap plan itself just to work with older projects and new version of unity so I feel your pain:)

10. DBarlok

DBarlok

Im good right now when i've disabled the Metal Editor Experimental. Haha. Works like a charm.
    From Android i've managed to build for IL2CPP, yes, but i had many problems with Dalvik
    reaching DEX LIMIT and i had many days of struggle, but working now, even with OBB,
    Photon Multiplayer, FB, Firebase, everything works.

I've tried to upgrade last year i think, but Photon got broken and i had too many problems and issues
    still to fix from development i leaved that as "impossible". Right now im reaching the end of Beta cycle
    so maybe i can plan to upgrade like this: put all the code, framework, plugins without Art in a fresh project
    and break everything opening inside 2019 (or even 2020 if this year i keep procastinating that). Little time honestly.

Fix this until you reach null references alone from your code (not the broken plugin)
    and finally put the Art. But yes, this will fail so many times it needs a Roadmap, a sketchbook, to write
    on papers, on the wall, and to go step by step until it's ported. Impossible it will be not!

protopop likes this.
  11. DBarlok

DBarlok

Your game looks AWESOME! CHEERS! I hope to play it someday soon!
    Nimian Legends!!! Goo!

protopop likes this.
  12. protopop

protopop

Thanks:) Do you have an iPhone or iPad? Ill snd you free codes if you do.

DBarlok likes this.
  13. DBarlok

DBarlok

Yay! Seriously? Yes, i have Iphone 5c, it will work there?

I appreciate it protopop, you rock!!

protopop likes this.
  14. psychicsoftware

psychicsoftware

Confirmed, disabling Metal Editor Support in Player Settings fixed it for me too (on Mojave, with Unity 5.6.6)