Search Unity

Question Unity editor is freezing and severely slowing down my entire system until reboot

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ouraf, Sep 26, 2020.

1. ouraf

ouraf

I couldn't find a proper log of what happens, and since it's a problem that spreads outside the editor, i don't know how to report it correctly. Sorry for any inaccuracy

System info:
    OS - Window 10 pro 64-bit
    CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
    RAM: 16GB DDR4
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 1060 6GB.

Error behavior and steps for reproduction:

Packages that have many files (over 500) sometimes freeze Unity while the "importing assets, iteration X" progress bar is displayed.
    - The progress bar itself freezes, but the timer on its header keeps counting
    - "waiting a little longer" isn't the issue: left the machine ruminating on it for 4 hours and nothing happened.
    - It commonly freezes with the progress bar full
    - Unity editor can't be used while the progress bar is displayed (everything is frozen) BUT you can drag the progress bar around.

What worries me is what it triggers OUTSIDE Unity: Every program i try to open in windows take up to 5 minutes to start. Even the Task Manager and the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen.
    - The explorer behaves mostly normally as long as i don't open anything: you can click desktop icons and open the start menu, but trying to open any program still requires the wait time
    - After the 5 minutes, the program (any program) operates normally unless it needs to load something. Opening a new folder in windows explorer, a new tab on a chrome-based browser, entering a different site on the same tab, etc.
    - Unity Hub is also affected and if i try to kill the Unity Editor process tree and open it again, the new Unity Editor process also takes a long ammount of time to load almost anything.

This behavior disappears only by restarting the computer (that also takes longer because many processes aren't properly finished, but whatever.

This bug always appears ONLY when i try to import an asset or package from the package manager and it freezes. Loading a .unityasset file haven't caused issues so far.

So, anyone has any idea of where should i look in my system for the cause of this bug? Thanks

2. Oliver_KatHawk

Oliver_KatHawk

I am also having this problem. Task manager shows low usage of memory, cpu, etc. (under 50% for everything). Is there a known cause or fix?

3. aquaclaw9

aquaclaw9

Having a similar issue here as well, it's been happening for about a year(?) now on 2021.3.5f1.

4. Oliver_KatHawk

Oliver_KatHawk

I'm still having this problem, got a new SSD and a fresh Unity install and it didn't help. Version is 2020.3.18f1

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  5. bugfinders

bugfinders

did you exclude your unity folder from your av?

6. Oliver_KatHawk

Oliver_KatHawk

This fixed it, thanks!