Search Unity

Unity editor has stopped working when trying to open project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Mumford-and-Dragons, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Mumford-and-Dragons

Mumford-and-Dragons

Ok so hopefully this doesnt sound confusing!

I have 2 versions of Unity...5.6 and 2017.2.
    I safely have the Unity project on my desktop. Also I will use the project names as project new and project old.
    Inside My Documents I already have project old in there (it's inside another 3 other folders).

I copied and pasted project new from desktop to the documents folder so it would overide the project old But the project old in documents leaves older files behind when you overide it with a newer version..kinda odd.

So I ended up completely deleting project old in documents and copied and pasted project new again from Desktop to Documents. But i cant seem to open the project new that is now in documents.
    I type in the taskbar Unity 2017 and then click 'open. I naviigate to the Unity project in documents and open it.
    I get 'Unity editor has stopped working'. This is the exact same Unity project that is on desktop. It has the same amount of files as well

Desktop project opens...but not the one in documents.
    There was a solution to copying and pasting it again in Documents, but not in the same folders. Just a new one.

It just seems to be this specific one inside the 3 other folders. It used to work..but that was the old version.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

When you copy and paste a folder, it does not delete any files in the target/old folder, only copies (and replaces) those files that exist in the originating/new folder. That is why older files are left behind, likely because there was no new file to replace them (if I understand your scenario correctly). You probably don't want to copy a new project over top of an existing/older project for this reason.

3. Mumford-and-Dragons

Mumford-and-Dragons

ah so thats why old files are left behind.
    Also, how does one replace older projects? I know I should probably do a save as new, and all I really needed to do was that.

Also, I cant seem top open the Unity project that is inside my documents.
    I can open that exact projcet that is placed on desktop though...

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You would likely want to make a back up then delete the Unity project that is inside My Documents since it is likely now corrupted. Once deleted, copy the project from the Desktop.

5. Mumford-and-Dragons

Mumford-and-Dragons

Yes I did that. I deleted the "currupted" file. And replaced it with the working Desktop one, but same issue.
    Its within Documents>Work>(project name)>UnityProject
    I can place the working desktop project in Documents and that works, but I would prefer it in the place it should be...

Strange

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Not just the corrupted file, the entire project. Just move the entire working project to a new/empty directory, anywhere you want it to be. And you are using > instead of / in your description. Please use the exact path that you are using.

7. Mumford-and-Dragons

Mumford-and-Dragons

Apologies, I meant to say the whole project I deleted. It is called xyztrial_Unity the main project folder
    And yes, copying and pasting the entire project from Desktop to a new/empty directory in Documents does work.

Shame I cant have it in the place it was before...> D:\Documents\Work Docs\xyz,trial\xyztrial_Unity .
    It now works inside D:\Documents\xyztrial

Unless there is some weird glitch/bug that makes it not work in the place it used to, and its working fine in the new directory, then thats fine I guess.

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You have a comma in the folder name? I'm not sure, I've just never seen or used a comma in a path before. I doubt it's the space in "Work Docs", but these are things you could test. Also, make sure you are not using any hard-coded paths in your scripts. It could also be a folder permission issue, you could run Unity as an administrator to check.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Mumford-and-Dragons likes this.
  9. Mumford-and-Dragons

Mumford-and-Dragons

You sir are a genius. Its due to the silly comma. How I accidently added that I dont know.

Issue fixed, case solved!